Royal Aircraft Factory S.E.5 My first WW1 aircraft.

unrauv

Wing Span 914mm = 36"
Fuse Length 722 mm = 28.5"

SE5A_at_Old_Warden.jpg

SE-5a-WorkingDrawings.png

Last edited:

TooJung2Die

Master member
I'm very interested in your build. Question, why are there notches in the fuselage formers? Do you use stringers of some kind?
Jon

unrauv

The cockpit will be cut out now, I will also cut out for the struts to hold the upper wing. (Notches)

unrauv

I was this thinking that might be too much power. This plane has 60% more wing area than most of my warlords. 28x26 1200kv be OK? It's 1.75 lbs without battery.

Last edited:

TooJung2Die

Master member
That looks very nice. Good luck with the first flights. Please report the results. I've been looking at SE5 plans. I was disappointed with the flight characteristics of the FT mini SE5. (The FT mini DR1 is a blast to fly).

TooJung2Die

Master member
If you can't fly because it's winter, then build. I finished a six week HK Sunbird glider build and this morning we have another half foot of snow on the ground.

Vincent, compliments on your plans. Very well drawn. I like how you divided the plans into sections of the airplane instead of having one huge sheet. I think it cuts down on paper and sure makes taping the tiles together easy.

I got started last night. Fuselage half done. I'm not going to use stringers under the card stock decking. I didn't find patterns for the decking in the plans so today is doing the tricky bit of making the card stock parts. This will be my largest foamy build so far.

Did you ever fly your SE5? The airplane in the last photo looks like it's waiting for servos.

Jon

Attachments

• IMG_2436.jpg
    IMG_2436.jpg
    794.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

unrauv

No I didn't fly it, my landing gear were just too weak. I will help with anything, if you need a part redrawn let me know.

TooJung2Die

Master member
So far no complaints with the plans. I know how hard it is to make them perfect. I've been able to compensate for the minor details. There are six angled parts on the Fuse5 plan I can't identify. Do you remember where they go?

Attachments

• SE-5a-Fuse5.pdf
    27.1 KB · Views: 6

TooJung2Die

Master member
The card stock decking is done. I scanned them and attached the files for future builders. The rear fuselage deck is cut from the scan because the first one got shabby looking with tape and pencil marks from making it fit. Be sure to print them out actual size. I noticed there is a slight taper to the nose from former B5 to B3 so the fuselage front is covered in two pieces instead of one.

Jon

Attachments

• SE-5a Cockpit and Nose Deck.PDF
    216.2 KB · Views: 9
  • SE-5a Rear Deck.pdf
    252.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2437.jpg
    IMG_2437.jpg
    890.4 KB · Views: 2
Last edited: