RR Finch - Ultra Micro Glider

Crudnik

For those who have given the RR Finch (or similar build) a try at a scout meeting, class event or family bbq, how did you run the event?
Did you prep by pre-cutting/scoring the pieces or cut them out entirely?
I’m assuming xacto blades and hot glue were restricted. Did you use tape and scissors instead?
I’d be interested to know how it went and what went into the preparation for use in our local scout troop and maybe at the cottage this weekend .
Thanks

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
I ran RR Finches with the Cub Scouts.
many of them were young (k-2nd grade) I cut them entirely 8 sheets at a time with the band saw, and scored them. I had 20 kits. and approx 16 more are ready for cutting. Hot glue was administered by an adult and I had 1 xacto blade. but they had full access to tape and markers. 1 out of EVERY 6 kids want's to build it inside out. Every time. they don't follow instructions or look, and then wonder why. also any piece that comes floppy, from a score cut, will be "broken", and if it's broken the child assumes it should be destroyed all the way. So watch out. generally I use Tape for adhesive. I should start getting better quality tape. the dollar store stuff doesn't stick to the paper well enough, and the packing tape is Thin, but a bear to work with when it comes off the dispenser.

While making the 100 Dragons for day camp, I used teen boy scouts help. They were using the xactos to score. it went well. The partial scoring wasn't easy for all of them.

The Tail tended to break off the RR Finch. so you can either have the kids tape it as part of the build, or make it thicker.

Piotrsko

Master member
When you are building kits, and using DTFB, paint or color tape the outside surfaces. Definitely tape the backside of a score line. K-3 Cub scouts and sharp blades: NO WAY, but older Webelos maybe. Definately if they have a totem card. I once had a hundred kids use my pneumatic stapler for a pospsicle trebuchet kit, BUT, that was really closely supervised by me.

Crudnik

I used this as my first build (dtf or otherwise) and it turned out well.
I also found the tail was very weak. I shortened the length and placed the horizontal stabilizer on the body. This worked for me.

I like the rounded look of the wings and fuse, but without access to a bandsaw, mass production is difficult.
How would straight edges affect flight?

Are there any other builds in this size?

Last edited:

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
I used this as my first build (dtf or otherwise) and it turned out well.
I also found the tail was very weak. I shortened the length and placed the horizontal stabilizer on the body. This worked for me.

I like the rounded look of the wings and fuse, but without access to a bandsaw, mass production is difficult.
How would straight edges affect flight?

Are there any other builds in this size?
you can use a Scroll saw and they can be had relatively cheaply - ~$70 from HF with the Discount coupons. if you have budget for it... It saves the day in time saved.