RR Finch - Ultra Micro Glider

Robinder

Hi all, new to the forum but a long-time supporter of the FT community and videos. Just got into the foamboard planes, and completed my first two builds: the Alpha and then the Sparrow glider (the second as a gift for the kids at Christmas).

I got thinking that it would be super fun to have an ultra-micro glider for the ultra-micro kids to chuck around, with plans that could be printed on 8.5x11 paper. This is what I came up with, and it flies like a champ!

Any suggestions welcome, just tweaking a few things on the plans for simplicity and buildability, and about to start pumping them out for stocking stuffers this year!

Happy to share the plans once I tidy them up a bit!

456A0856-F19C-420A-B434-079D469CDB8F.jpeg

Last edited:

Robinder

Nice work! Just what I needed;). Build one and put some micro electronics in it. Keep us posted with plans!
Thanks! Out of interest, you’re suggesting adding control surfaces? Right now, everything is static so it’s literally a chuck-plane. Simple for the little kids, get them pumped about these planes, and making them themselves.

Those are some nice little gliders! It's amazing that you can turn a peice of foam board into such a great toy and inspiration for further building. I personally wouldn't spend the time to put electronics in such a small frame but you could add a few control surfaces for tweaking how they fly. Maybe get some boomerang action out of 'em? Just a thought.

Paracodespoder

Elite member
Thanks! Out of interest, you’re suggesting adding control surfaces? Right now, everything is static so it’s literally a chuck-plane. Simple for the little kids, get them pumped about these planes, and making them themselves.
Yup, might have to enlarge it a little, what’s the wingspan?

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Looks like a great project for the little ones! :D

I'd be interested in using your plans with material from thin styrofoam plates and see how it performs. And a poster board version... :unsure:

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
I'm in. *watching*
@rockyboy - yes, lighter to see. This would be great for our cub scout STEM day overnight. (always looking for a perfect fit.)

Robinder

Those are some nice little gliders! It's amazing that you can turn a peice of foam board into such a great toy and inspiration for further building. I personally wouldn't spend the time to put electronics in such a small frame but you could add a few control surfaces for tweaking how they fly. Maybe get some boomerang action out of 'em? Just a thought.
Cool idea! The elevator is actually a slotted unit, so after I got it all statically balanced, I gave it a test-chuck and adjusted the elevator angle to give level flight, and glued it in place. Would be pretty simple to add a hinge on the rudder for adjustment on the ‘fly’ (lol)... wonder if you could actually boomerang it!?

Robinder

Yup, might have to enlarge it a little, what’s the wingspan?
Wingspan is 10.5”, that’s the limiting factor to have the parts fit on an 8.5x11 sheet. I’m sure you could cut in at least elevator and rudder hinges for a 2-channel glider. I just love the simplicity of it, a tiny glider that flies awesome and gets the kids into it. Once I can finalize the plans, you’ll have to give it a try and let me know how it goes!

Robinder

I'm in. *watching*
@rockyboy - yes, lighter to see. This would be great for our cub scout STEM day overnight. (always looking for a perfect fit.)
Really cool idea... reminds me of the cub car night. I found a couple bits a little tricky, especially the fuselage taper at the back, and the slit and reglue in the wing to add dihedral. Worked out well though!

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Hi all, new to the forum but a long-time supporter of the FT community and videos. Just got into the foamboard planes, and completed my first two builds: the Alpha and then the Sparrow glider (the second as a gift for the kids at Christmas).

I got thinking that it would be super fun to have an ultra-micro glider for the ultra-micro kids to chuck around, with plans that could be printed on 8.5x11 paper. This is what I came up with, and it flies like a champ!

Any suggestions welcome, just tweaking a few things on the plans for simplicity and buildability, and about to start pumping them out for stocking stuffers this year!

Happy to share the plans once I tidy them up a bit!

View attachment 119384
Love it - nicely done!

Paracodespoder

Elite member
Wingspan is 10.5”, that’s the limiting factor to have the parts fit on an 8.5x11 sheet. I’m sure you could cut in at least elevator and rudder hinges for a 2-channel glider. I just love the simplicity of it, a tiny glider that flies awesome and gets the kids into it. Once I can finalize the plans, you’ll have to give it a try and let me know how it goes!
Will do, might make it about 50% larger, but I’ll do it!

Robinder

Alright, plans are tweaked and ready to go! I've named it the 'Finch' because it's just so darn tiny and cute.

The plans are intended to fit on a single 8.5x11 piece of paper, so no special printing requirements. Legend and construction techniques are per the usual FliteTest standards, but I included a full description of the assembly for those that might not be familiar. The goal was ease of access, and a fun, quick build for the little guys to engage with (and have something cool to chuck around the house or yard).

Have fun, and please share your creations with us here!

Plans attached below. Enjoy!

Attachments

• RR Finch (Ultra Micro Glider) v1.0.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 0

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Wow - very nicely done plans! Love the instructions in there as well - very easy to take this package to a scout troop or other gathering. :D

Robinder

Wow - very nicely done plans! Love the instructions in there as well - very easy to take this package to a scout troop or other gathering. :D
Thanks, hope it works well in that scenario! Let me know how it goes, and if there are any suggestions on simplifying for the kids :)