RTF to FliteTest model

JesseSG

Hi!
I just ordered an RTF plane. It is an XK DHC-2 a600.
I bought this affordable RTF plane with the intention of gutting it and using one of FliteTest's plans. This is before I fly for the first time...in winter!
Do you have any suggestions for which one of FliteTest's plans I could use?
For fun, after discovering your site, I have already built an FT Simple Cub.
When funds and skills allow it, I will get an appropriate powerpack from your site for my Simple Cub.
I think taking a cheap RTF and using FliteTest plans could be a cool project/video for the channel!
Thanks,
Jesse

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
If you are talking about this plane it's way too small to be used as a FT plane. The wing span is only 580mm or 23"

Last edited:

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Hi!
I just ordered an RTF plane. It is an XK DHC-2 a600.
I bought this affordable RTF plane with the intention of gutting it and using one of FliteTest's plans. This is before I fly for the first time...in winter!
Do you have any suggestions for which one of FliteTest's plans I could use?
For fun, after discovering your site, I have already built an FT Simple Cub.
When funds and skills allow it, I will get an appropriate powerpack from your site for my Simple Cub.
I think taking a cheap RTF and using FliteTest plans could be a cool project/video for the channel!
Thanks,
Jesse
Merv is quite correct when he warns that it is too small for you to use either as a decent trainer and as a donor for parts to be used in a FT build.

You be better just buying a FT Tiny Trainer kit and learn to fly on that! There are a number of good and cheap radios available on various websites including HK Save your money and travel the well traveled path!

Have fun!

Reactions: FDS

FDS

Elite member
On the plus side, the one you have bought is a fair trainer on its own, fly it, crash it, then build an FT kit separately. Unfortunately it’s tied to Futaba radios, unless you can swap the receiver. You can get a multi protocol radio like the Jumper T12 that will work with any receiver.

Research and reading saves dollars. Here endeth the lesson.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Agreed. That's a good enough trainer so use it to learn to fly. The TX it comes with actually looks better than some of the toy TX's that come with RTF's, so it'll be a good start to a more full featured TX.