Runcam split happy and disappointed at the same time.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Ok so I recently got around to putting a run cam split into my RR5 Alien build. I was so happy when I powered it up and did not let the magic smoke out after hearing about the V1's being so picky about power. I now have several sessions with using it and can now discuss how I feel about it.

First the idea of having HD footage in that form factor is a great idea. Its about time we could tuck sensitive photo gear into the safety of the frame and not store it on top where it is the first thing to impact what ever it is we are crashing into at any particular moment. Good job Runcam.

Second is the video quality. This is a two part thought so on with the first part. The video quality it produces is not too shabby at the three available modes it records at. even the over saturation can be cool if you are not great at color grading yet. Now for the bad. I LOVE Runcam gear. Specially the Swift series in any of its forms. They are durable and record great video. Best of all they are sooo versatile with the firmware on them that you can change to work best for what you want to do with them. The Split however is a HUGE HUGE fail in that aspect. The firmware is so limited for what the system is. I really don't get what they were thinking when they locked it into a preset like they did. Sure you can change a few features but none that really matter for a better flying experience.

It seems all these FPV camera manufacturers STILL have not learned that we use these for flying. That means varying light and shadow. WHY seriously WHY do they send them out with the base settings for static indoor security use. I get that having the colors super saturated looks really cool but that is totally useless if the camera can not adapt to changes in light where you go from looking into the sun to deep shade under the tree you just power looped. I tried flying this evening as the "Magic hour" approached here. TOTALLY unflyable at that time of day with this camera set up the way they did it. Level flight with the sun getting lower was all washed out and when you transitioned into shade it was total darkness and the camera took FOREVER to recover from the change. By then it was back into the light IF I was not tumbling across the ground from being totally blinded.

I will have to look into it but I really really hope there is a newer firmware update that adds the normal setting features of the Swift series. I flew 6 full packs trying to find a happy medium where the quad is flyable with average between light and dark. I am seriously disappointed with the FPV aspect of this system. The HD video should be recording flat as most adjustments there are done in editing anyways. Then have the settings for just the FPV aspect so this is actually useful.

Runcam...... call me.. I can get you back into NORMAL thinking for the good of the entire community. The lack of thought here is astounding given what you have done prior to this being sooo much better and closer to reality.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I've only played with the V1 split, and like you, was initially stoked by the idea. Unfortunately reality sunk in when the first one I had was completely unreliable out of the box due to issues with the cable from the board to the camera. It is a royal Pain to get the cable in and out of the connectors and is easily damaged. My first one is completely dead after only a handful of uses since the connector on the camera is borked. Need to RMA it... My 2nd V1 has been used a few more times than the first, but the lack of stabilization and Jello make the HD footage somewhat meh at best. So add those to the non-adjustability as noted above, and I'd almost rather use or de-case a RunCam HD2 and put that in a frame instead...

Think I shalls continues to uses das regular FPV for FPV, and HD cam for HD. Good in concept, poor in execution.

Cheers!
LitterBug

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Thanks for that review, Psy. That was EXACTLY what I was worried about with the Split, when I was considering building a quad with one. The big thing I liked about the Swift 2 over my Spektrum camera was that I had adjustability for the light and dark - AND it was more responsive for that...well, I'm going to refer to it as the "iris speed", the speed at which it closes down the iris so it's not too bright, or opens the iris for darker/shady situations, than the previous camera it replaced. I'm sure there's a technical term for it, but it's early, I haven't had my cup of coffee yet, and I'm waiting for the caffeine to kick in. LOL

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Well there in lies the problem. the light and dark handling DOES change... I set my Swifts up to where I get zero change when I go from light to dark. Iset them up by pointing them at the sun then stopping into the dark foyer in my building. when there is no perceivable change THEN it is good enough to fly with. That is when I move on to color settings and such.

They really do have a great product here. Its a gorgeous view WHEN you are in stable light. The set up where I can film in 1920 x 1080 wide screen is great when I can cut the fPV down to a 4:9 like I prefer for actual FPV. The color ranges are crisp and clear as well.

The problem is that there is no control to any of it and it is blatantly obvious the person that made the preset has ZERO clue what FPV flying is about and is all about motion video. If they would incorporate the control-ability of the swift series into this they would have the ultimate FPV set up.

On that note I need to hunt down if there are firmware upgrades yet as I am sure I am not the only one unhappy with this or at the very least someone found settings that are survivable for real flight in varying conditions and not the perfect day scenario.