• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

ryze drone my first one

you people got me to try my first drone https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ryze-Tello-Drone/710672516 that i bought before i went to work. i wanted to try it at work but figured cuz we have security cameras everywhere i prolly shuldnt fly it their cuz my partner would see it on the screens. anyway i bring it home and it took forever to charge up the battery. i used the new iphone 6 i got thats wid att and prepaid to control it and cuz the controls are like the copters in battlefield so it should be pretty easy cuz im a ace in the copters in bf. anyway when it took off inside my house i guess the ceiling isnt to big because it went up off my table and crashed into the celing then it moved real quick sideways into a light hanging from the ceiling and one of the spinning fans fell off and it crashed on the floor. it stopped the spinning but now i cant get the spinning fan back on to stay on. it goes on but when i try to fly it again it starts ok but then flys off the little stick the spinner goes on and hits the celing and the copter just goes upside down but the other fans stop. is it broke? will walmart take it back and give me a refund or a new one? anyone live in colorado springs who miaybe can help me?

makattack

Pollen is coming
Mentor
Hey aspieman! Nice to see you got a start in this rewarding hobby! Sorry to hear your first experience isn't so great. I'm on my phone so can't do a lot of research quickly, but I checked out your link. Not familiar with that quad, but it looks like it has brushed motors. Props for those usually snap on and are held on with friction. Most quads come with extra props. Could be the one you have is no longer good because it's not holding on to the motor shaft well. Try using a new prop of the same kind. It should look exactly the same with the blades oriented the same way.

wot do u mean? all the props you call them look the same to me. why cant i use the one that was allready on it? are you saying that they wear out and u gota get new ones all the time like buying ammo for a ar15?

PsyBorg

Fly Angry
Mentor
I'm gonna take a wild guess and say that all the time you have been here you have not read one thread about how these all work and the common issues that come with flying them.

Props are a disposable part of the hobby. They are the most common part of anything that flies multi rotor or fixed wing that breaks. In fact several of the people here use the saying about quads "Props are the new fuel".

Anyway welcome to the hobby and congratulations on getting your first "drone". Now its time to put your big boy pants on and learn how to use it safely and responsibly. First sit down and read the instructions. I am pretty sure that one of the items you will find under the precautions is "Do not fly indoors" if it does not I will tell you "Do not fly indoors". As you have found out these can move pretty quick and can get pretty dangerous when not controlled or used properly. Imagine if it was your face and not the lamp it bounced off of when you flew it inside.

You will find those kind of props are only what they call press fit. There are no screws or nuts used to mechanically hold them in place. They are made that way on purpose so when there is a crash they easily fall off instead of holding strong to the motor shaft. This is to protect the motors. Propellers are a cheap plastic piece made to be easily replaced by anyone and do not require tools to do so. the down side is that the holes will get stretched out or flexed to different angles after a crash. That is why the one you have will no longer stay on.

If it is not bent or mis shapen set it aside and save it for now. There are ways to make them grip again and you can learn how to find proper information on the hobby here in your search to find how. In the mean time seriously take the time to read the instructions, find some you tube videos of others using these particular drones and take your time to learn how it works. Other wise you will more then likely destroy it and waste your money trying to learn by yourself.

Again as in with many of our conversations... there are a lot of people here willing to help you if you treat them with respect. That means no rude out bursts, no hate speech, no gun talk, and most of all no talk about doing the stupid things with drones that you have read or seen others talking about or doing. We are here to help and teach people safe and fun things about the hobby and would like to include you in all that but you got to make an effort to be a respectful part of the community in return.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding faceplant!
Mentor
wot do u mean? all the props you call them look the same to me. why cant i use the one that was allready on it? are you saying that they wear out and u gota get new ones all the time like buying ammo for a ar15?
I once broke 13 props on one battery. Props cost less than ammo and don't go quite as quickly as ammo but yes, think of props like ammo. Disposable. Have lots of spares ready to go when you fly.

It takes two types of props to make a copter fly, CW and CCW or Clockwise and Counter-Clockwise. They have to be placed in specific spots for the copter to fly.

Swap the prop out and try again. Let's hope you don't have a bent motor shaft or something like that.

I know the guy at Walmart told you this copter could be flown in the house, but, Psyborg is right on this one, don't. :)

Got any video?

Video of "but then flys off the little stick the spinner goes on and hits the celing and the copter just goes upside down" is the stuff that powers our little hobby. :D

I wish I had video of my Knuckle H quad upside down, out of control on my patio and chopping into my wife's flower garden with 8045 slowflies like a Tazmanian Devil Ninja on crack. Leafy, green gore everywhere! :black_eyed:

This is one of my all time favorites from Mr Steele.

Learning to fly is usually best done over soft, fluffy grass with little or no wind.

Expect to lose props and eventually the copter. These things have a lifespan.

Welcome to the hobby Aspieman. :)

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Fly Angry
Mentor
Well this can be an example of how much you have to pay attention to everything you do with these and how fast things can go wrong. Yes I was not in the most brightest of my quad moments thinking I could hold it down. See how crazy it went and I barely touched the throttle. All that drama from one setting being off.

And this is one of the potential out comes of not paying attention to what you are doing and knowing how things work.

Ground face.jpg

I don't preach sternly how important knowing what you are doing and more specifically how to be safe for no reason and certainly not to be a jerk. I know and have paid a price for people not paying attention to what they do and following safety rules. You really do not want to be the one who hurts someone and you DEFINITELY do not want to be the one who gets hurt.

makattack

Pollen is coming
Mentor
See, that's what I love about our community! Everyone's got something good to say to try and help you not make the same mistakes we made. I took a more in-depth look at your Ryze Tello quadcopter. Interesting. I just saw that FT even made a video on it (err, where they fly it inside) and saw the docs and FAQ on the Tello site that seems to endorse flying indoors:

https://www.ryzerobotics.com/tello/faq

3. Can Tello fly indoors?

Yes, Tello is safe to fly indoors. Tello can also fly outdoors, but it is only recommended to do so in windless conditions.
I kind of hate blanket statements like that. Sure, if you put the prop guards on (did you? They look optional) and you have a *big enough* indoor space, yes, it should be fun to fly indoors in a bigger space with no serious obstacles. If you were going to fly aggressively, though, you'll need an even bigger space and the right kind of obstacles (like racing gates, etc vs lamps and TVs.)

So, yes, you can fly certain micro quads indoors. The tello is actually bigger than anything I would feel comfortable with flying in my apartment, especially in the same room where my pricey computers / monitors / etc are. If I were going to fly indoors, I would take it to a gym or a garage with that. I would instead fly my Inductrix type / Tiny Whoop sized quads indoors in my apartment without any concern:

https://www.google.com/search?q=inductrix

Your props are about 3" sized and those are big enough to do the damage PsyBorg and CranialRectosis warn about.

So, speaking of props... and fans -- those inductrix style micros are actually kind of more fan like in that their props are fully encased in a "ducted fan" style enclosure. The two bladed props that come with your Tello are more like regular propellers. There look to be a number of places you can buy them:

https://www.google.com/search?q=tello+propellers

They look to be about $3 per pair (most likely a CW and CCW in a pair) so they can be a bit pricey unless there are suitable third party compatible ones. The docs indicate that the props are marked with a graphic/icon indicating which motor it needs to go on. The landing gear/motor mount has the same equivalent graphic so you just need to match the prop with the motor based on that indicator.

I have a bunch of smaller brushed quads that use those press fit type props, and while the guys above mention you can fix them to still work if they aren't bent or cracked, you will need some special glue. I tried doing that to some of my props and the foam safe CA glue I have somehow melted them... I just need to find better glues.

makattack

Pollen is coming
Mentor
It's been a couple days. Any luck with replacing the prop? I'm just interested in seeing you get success with this.

It's been a couple days. Any luck with replacing the prop? I'm just interested in seeing you get success with this.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! i tried wot u said with putting a new prop on and it stayd on this time but i tried this last nite cuz it was warm outside and wasnt dark yet and i still had a full batery from last time so i figured like YOU said to fly it outside. well i did but the screen said something about hi wind warning or something and then it did get windy so how did it know it woz gonna get windy? well it blew the drone into a tree and now i got two of those props that flew off and i cant find them cuz their black and it was dark by the time it happened so now wot? now i gotta buy thos props for 3 bucks and i dont even know if they have them at walmart yet cuz the website dont show em. so i cant fly anymore and this sucks because the 2 times i fly it it crashed and everyone says its easy to fly and everything but it keeps crashing prolly because i have a junk version.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding faceplant!
Mentor
Hold on... Wait a sec here...

Your copter flew?

Look for the props, buy spare props (you should have spare props anyway).

Dude, you flew, crashed, broke it, fixed it, flew, crashed again.... This is why we call this insanity Build, fly, crash, repeat... Welcome to the hobby.

Seriously, you flew a drone. Last January would you have ever thought you could be a pilot this year?

When Walmart says 'easy' they mean easy compared to a hard drone. It's just marketing speech.

If this were easy, it wouldn't be nearly as cool as it is. :)

Just keep on trying.

Oh, and it's friggin' windy this weekend. You and I both have to wait. It's too windy even for my hexacopter with 45mph winds and gusts up to 75 today. Snow Monday through Thursday. Take the time to get some spare props.

Just keep on going and don't stop.

It only beats you when you quit.

Last edited:

makattack

Pollen is coming
Mentor
Echoing cranialR, here, yay! You got past a major hurdle in the hobby! Congratulations! Okay, now you know how to replace those props. Yeah, I would recommend going outside now that it's light out (hopefully still is when you get this) and not too windy (they could get blown away since they're small) to search for them. No lie. It might be hard to find 3" black props among the sticks, grass, dirt. Also in my experience, a fast spinning tiny prop might land a bit of distance away from where the quad lands.

Just be aware that like the first prop you had to replace, once they fly off, especially in a crash, a lot of times they won't stay on. Definitely buy a bunch of replacements. Sounds like you'll be going through a lot more of these, as we all do, now that you're flying!

Here's a search for some online vendors, if Walmart doesn't sell them yet:
https://www.google.com/search?q=tel...oPaAhWGNd8KHR2TDDkQ_AUICigB&biw=2560&bih=1366

I've bought a lot from B&H Photo -- heck, I used to love going to their brick & mortar shop in NYC when I lived there. Free shipping, fast service. No complaints from me. If you buy two sets ($6), that will give you a total of four props so you can replace the ones you lost and have a spare set. Hopefully you lost two of the opposite spinning types (one with a mark, one without) -- because if you didn't, and you lost both of the same direction, you will definitely have to buy two sets minimally... well, but you still have three props from the extra set it came with right? Well... my long winded suggestion is to minimally buy two sets.

Heh, I know it might be hard to take video with your phone if it's also the controller, but it looks like it supports some bluetooth controllers. In your OP, you implied you are experienced with video games. I was reading through this thread to get pointers on your quad:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?3014999-Ryze-Tello-Owner-Thread

and noticed this:
Which Bluetooth controllers are compatible with Tello?

Tello is currently compatible with the Gamesir remote controller or Apple MFi - Certified Bluetooth remote controllers.
Looks like Walmart does sell this controller:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/GameSir-...5247&wl11=online&wl12=317267006&wl13=&veh=sem

It's a little pricey (IMHO) for a controller just for this drone, but you might find it easier to fly with a hardware controller that you're already familiar with. That'll also free up your phone for sweet videos of you flying it! Just prop it up with a stick on the ground pointing at you and the quad and hit the record button! Upload it to youtube and post it here so we can enjoy your experience as you share it with us!

makattack

Pollen is coming
Mentor
Hey when I wrote my post up above I didn't realize how a separate controller works with the tello. trello. This was a great video talking about how to fly your quad. It was posted in the rcgroups forum I liked to. Very informative. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hw1Fz4dgpjQ

The bt controller connects to your phone which connectsto the quad. If you have an iphone/iOS device, the controller I linked to won't work as it's for android. The one the guy in the video talks about will work but seems pricier.