S.E.5a(ish) Simple Scout

Forster

Slow, low and dirty.
Rather than do the simple thing and build an S.E.5a from Alistair Potter's excellent plans I started the long way around trying to build a modified Simple Scout. No one ever accused me of being the smartest modeler. Although the body is adaptable to make it S.E.5a like, the wing cord is wider. Even after cutting is back it's pretty far out of ratio for the wingspan and body length. Such is life. The second wing is simple enough as is modifying the dihedral outboard of the body (rather than the middle of the wing) as are the horizontal and vertical stabilizer. Pics along the way. Round one: the second wing. Build slowed by waterproofing the inside of the wing (dollar store foam and all) with poly.

Forster

Slow, low and dirty.
WIN_20180428_15_31_42_Pro.jpg

Wing tip and trailing edge modification.

Forster

Slow, low and dirty.
Wings minus dihydral and notch on trailing edge where the body and cabanes mount.

Attachments

• WIN_20180430_20_13_36_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20180430_20_13_36_Pro.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0

Forster

Slow, low and dirty.
WIN_20180502_21_28_11_Pro.jpg

Tail's on! Would have buttoned up the bottom but I couldn't find the right servo arms.
WIN_20180502_21_28_11_Pro.jpg

Forster

Slow, low and dirty.
The rear end of the fuselage is a little thicker than an SE5a so the tail skid will need modification and I may need to adjust the front of the vertical stabilizer so it meets the rounded part of the fuselage (if the fuselage tapers appropriately. I'm working on the attachment for the struts and I think they'll pin in place with a pair of music wires that will replace rigging wires on the original aircraft. Hard to describe, but it should make sense when photos are done.

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
looks great so far! one question... with this new site... how do i subscribe to threads? also how do i receive email notifications when there are new posts on subscribed threads? i used to before and all my notification boxes are checked in my "preferences" but im not getting email notifications now. any clue how? thanks.

Forster

Slow, low and dirty.
looks great so far! one question... with this new site... how do i subscribe to threads? also how do i receive email notifications when there are new posts on subscribed threads? i used to before and all my notification boxes are checked in my "preferences" but im not getting email notifications now. any clue how? thanks.
You might double check your email address. Otherwise you should be getting updates.

Michael9865

Elite member
After I clicked the "Watch" button near the top of the page, I found the updates in my spam folder. After I marked them as not spam, they go directly to my inbox.

Forster

Slow, low and dirty.
WIN_20180511_21_01_49_Pro (2).jpg
WIN_20180511_21_01_49_Pro (2).jpg

Cabanes. Still trimming the lower dowels flush and adding 1/8" landing gear straps through the foam board into plywood because you can never over engineer anything too much. Right?

Forster

Slow, low and dirty.
WIN_20180511_21_01_28_Pro (2).jpg

Wing fit#2. Wings are parallel all the way around. Now I need to button up the bottom and start working on the turtle deck. The cockpit needs to move rearward and I'll probably just use foam to block up the vertical stab (rather than trying to form paper over bulkheads).

Forster

Slow, low and dirty.
I've got the bottom buttoned up now and should have it ready for paint by tonight. The edges where the body panels meet could be cleaner, but it'll pass the 20' test. I've also got to get the wing and fuselage emblems printed. My Epson Printer doesn't use a really red ink and my first print looked too pink.

Forster

Slow, low and dirty.
Post maiden, pre finish flight with the turtle decks off to allow some balance work before paint. Flies like a champ, first flight was on the verge of tail heavy and I think I'm going to skeletonize the tail skid (3/16th ply was probably a bit excessive). A few tweaks and it should good to go.

Attachments

• WIN_20180516_16_56_07_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20180516_16_56_07_Pro.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0

Forster

Slow, low and dirty.
WIN_20180521_19_17_21_Pro.jpg

Turtle deck done. Pro Tip, if you're adding turtle decks and cabanes, it's easier to add the cabanes after the turtle deck is on. A little tape on the seams and minwax and it's time for paint. A little paper tape to cover the seams and I'm thinking a drawn on cockpit rather than a cut out one. I'm going to add the pilot profile from the chin up on a piece of foam board and from the chin down I'll layer it over the drawn on cockpit. At least that's the plan. Also I need to cut a plywood radiator.

Last edited: