SAAB B18A

Swede

Hello all!

After my first scratch build, a swedish J22 fighter I will now build another swedish plane from WWII, a B18A. I will use the same technique, i.e. the same foam paper as the guys building FT-planes uses.

Looking forward to this project !

B18a.jpg

Ritning.jpg

ProfessorFate

Hi Swede
Hey I saw your other project and liked your framing technique.

Did you see the post about Ross foam board sold only at Walmart, it's supposed to be a lot better than DTFB or Adams, it does not de-laminate so easy.

http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?21937-ROSS-Foam-Board-Review

I am going to go get some of this and try it, supposed to be tougher.

Well I am also interested in building one of these 2 engine prop planes from WW2, this came to me after just lately past 6 months watching all the old war movies like The Battle Of Britain ( the best ), Reach for the Sky, and there's one I like and can't think of where they have to take these planes like yours and learn to land and take off from a carrier, 500 feet, the challenge is that, normally their service was land based. These might have been B25s or B17s.

If it helps or you want to try it, have you seen the many youtube and various forum posts on running 2 motors on 1 ESC, it really works. When I do this, I might make the build around some small motors I already have to fly with 8x4 or 9x5 or some of those good looking small 3 bladed MAS props.

Leonard

Last edited:

Swede

Hi Leonard!

Oh yes, The Battle of Britain is my far the best movie ever!! Fantastic flight scenes, with Me109 and He111, from the Spanish air force. It was the first VHS-movie my father rented, back in 1980-ish. And one of the first, I showed my kids... :)

I had some thought to build a B-25, twin engine, but in the end I decided to build the Swedish B18. But the B17 is also a very beautiful bomber! Perhaps in the future... :)

Very interesting, with the Ross foam. I think I will order some, to test. If you do, pleas give a short review, always interesting. I usually put varnish (do you call it that?) on the paper, then I spray paint it. I have plenty of hours with my Supermarine Spitfire, and it is still very nice.

TooJung2Die

Master member
Very interesting, with the Ross foam. I think I will order some, to test. If you do, pleas give a short review, always interesting. I usually put varnish (do you call it that?) on the paper, then I spray paint it. I have plenty of hours with my Supermarine Spitfire, and it is still very nice.

Have you seen this review of the Ross foam board?
http://flitetest.com/articles/ross-foam-board

I've used it. It has several advantages over Readi-Board and few disadvantages.

Jon

Swede

Interesting.

One good way to test the material, is to do dog fight. In our flight club, we had some argument which was the best material. Some said "FT-foam", other said "kapa-skivor" (as we call them in Sweden). But when dog-fighting, with our Bloody Wonders, the light weight "FT-foam" seemed like a blitzing panzerkampfwagen, compared to the "kapa". That kind of ended the discussions... :)

I will try to order, and test. If I get the dog-fights (i.e. crashes) on film, I will post them here! :)

Swede

I ran out of material yesterday, so new foam has been ordered from USA (no one is selling it in Sweden). But I have been thinking of the size. The foam is 76cm long (30"), so either I make the body from one paper. In that case the B18 will 80 cm long (inl the canopy in the front) and wing span of 114cm. OR I make the wings from two "FT-pepers", in that case the total length will be some 105cm and wing span 150cm (2x30"). I think I will go for the last one...

Well, I have some week to decide, before the foam arrives... Decisions, decisions, decisions...

Swede

Ok, my printing is now ready. I made them in Word A3. This is only verision 1, them I check how big they are in reality, and correct the pringing, so that the wingspan will be 150cm.

Ahh, I wanna build! Very frustrating to live in Sweden, and waiting for the foam to be shipped from USA. You don't know how lucky you are over there in the USA !! :)

Ritning.png

Swede

I have my first printing ready now. In this scale, the B18 will have a wing span of 145cm. You se her next to a FliteTest Supermarine Spitfire. Just the motors, have the same size as my newly built J22.

B18vsSpit.jpg

Swede

OK, this is the size of my other option, where I only use one "FT-foam arc" for the body of the plane. The wingspan then becomes almost exactly the same as the spitfire (110cm)... I think I will go with this size. Quite big, but not to big to bring in the car etc.

SpitvsB18small.jpg

Last edited: