Help! Safe Receiver in the Apprentice 15s

baz.b

baz.b
Hi all,

I've noticed when flying my Apprentice, that it doesn't seem to fly too far before it seems to lose it's signal, so I thought I'd change the receiver to a more conventional one. I fly using the Spektrum DX6 v2, and never had any problems with it so ruled out the possibility of the Transmitter causing the problem, I've also done several Range checks, and all seems fine, that's why I'm assuming the problem is with the Receiver.
Can anyone suggest a possible replacement , not one of the SAFE kind thanks.

Baz

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
There are a number of different Rxs that you could use from a number of different manufacturers so it is just a matter of preference and local availability.

I wish to discuss your Loss Of Signal! have you made sure that the antennas from the Rx are fitted at 90 degrees from each other and that they are clear of all possible wiring. On the ground doing a range check the poor antenna installation can pass quite well due to ground and other reflections but when in the air there is no reflecting surfaces to help the Rx get the signal and so is just losses it signal.

Also in the past I had a safe mode installation where one antenna was disconnected and that caused many crashes until it was discovered and repaired.

Check as much as you can before throwing away the Rx in case the problem is not in the Rx but eleswhere.

Have fun!

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
I agree with Hai-Lee - probably worth trying to trouble shoot why you are losing range before replacing the receiver. If I am looking at the right replacement part at MotionRC, the 15S receiver is $109! Although I agree that you would not automatically suspect your transmitter, I find it hard to believe that a $109 receiver is not up to the job (unless you somehow received a faulty one with the plane).

I had some issues recently with a couple of planes losing signal which led to the destruction of the plane. I fly a combination of Orange Rx and Lemon Rx receivers and guys at the field were convinced it was the "cheapo" receivers. Not being convinced (because I had flown these planes with the same receivers trouble free for a while) I decided to replace the antenna on my Dx6i even though there was no apparent damage to it . It had become quite loose at the elbow joint and I suspected I was cutting or fraying the shielding wire inside. Since the replacement no more issues.

Has it always done this or did this just start recently? Do you fly other planes on other receivers without issue?

I would check the receiver install per Hai-Lee to see if there is anything amis.

Any 6 channel Rx will work for you so you can either pay a little more for a Spektrum product or go for something like the Lemon Rx DSMX receivers.

DamoRC

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
I had a problem with my ESC heating up, causing intermittent power to the receiver. I ended up moving things around with the ESC so that there was a vent in the bottom of the plane that would move air across the ESC, and it stopped the problem from re-occurring. My issue may not be the same as yours, though, but there are a lot of things to check out before assuming the receiver is the issue...

baz.b

baz.b
Actually I agree with all of your comments. I've checked and double checked fittings and placements of servo's , esc, cables and leads, and all seem to be fine. I do fly other planes with no problems, using an AR400 esc from Spektrum, but, I've just had a thought. Where I usually fly, the field is quite small, but just recently I've joined a different club on a different site. This site is a hell of a lot bigger than what I'm used to, so, am I actually exceeding the distance limit of my AS3X esc. or , is the Transmitter, a Spektrum DX6 v2 , faulty. It looks as though I'm going to have to dig a lot deeper. I think I'll start by stripping everything out of the plane, and then rebuilding it, so thanks guys.
Much appreciated

Baz

RCdiy

RCdiy
Exceeding the distance limit? The apprentice size planes are of a size that you loose sight/orientation before you exceed the range (just under a mile at least).

How far do you stand when you do a range check? 30-40 paces/yards?
Maybe have someone rotate the plane 360 while doing the range check to see if you loose connection at a particular orientation.

Bricks

Master member
Which receiver do you have as some of the new AS3X receivers have a range limit where the plane will turn itself back towards home.

baz.b

baz.b
Hiya Bricks,

The Apprentice is the S 15e, and bought about a year or so ago, So I'm assuming it might be an earlier version of the AS3X.

Baz

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Our club flies the Apprentices, but they're slowly replacing the AS3X receivers since they've had some issues with the gyro. It's not range, it's more that, at speed, the wind starts buffeting the wings and the plane starts doing some porpoising trying to correct. The fix is to slow the plane down, but that's not exactly a good fix if you've got a decent tailwind...

RCdiy

RCdiy
Our club flies the Apprentices, but they're slowly replacing the AS3X receivers since they've had some issues with the gyro. It's not range, it's more that, at speed, the wind starts buffeting the wings and the plane starts doing some porpoising trying to correct. The fix is to slow the plane down, but that's not exactly a good fix if you've got a decent tailwind...

The fix is to reduce gain by moving the holes used on the servo and or control horn. Inner on servo and outer on horn.

This fixed the problem when I used the Apprentice SAFE receiver in a Corsair.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Definitely reduce the gain but also ensure that you are not trying to use too much expo as if set too high the controller tends to massively overshoot the required control surface deflection especially in heavy buffeting.

Aditionally remember that the greater the control surface deflection the longer time it takes for the control surface to reach the desired position. The delay can add a level of increased control response times and apparent instability.

have fun!

Bricks

Master member
Definitely reduce the gain but also ensure that you are not trying to use too much expo as if set too high the controller tends to massively overshoot the required control surface deflection especially in heavy buffeting.

Aditionally remember that the greater the control surface deflection the longer time it takes for the control surface to reach the desired position. The delay can add a level of increased control response times and apparent instability.

have fun!

How does expo in the radio effect servo operation as expo is only related to stick movement at the transmitter not the servo?

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
It doesn't! Sadly I see many struggling to setup their AS3X and struggling to deal with extreme turbulence only to find that their gain was far too high and they were compensating by effectively overcontrollingthe control surface through poor expo settings.

have fun!

baz.b

baz.b
This is now getting interesting. At the moment the linkages are all set to the outermost holes in the horns, and the second hole on the servo horn. I've actually had some help from my wife by being an observer for me. I initially walked 30 yards away, and did a reduced power range check. At this, she held up her hand to indicate all was well. After doing this for about 75 yards, I walked to the end of the field, about 200 yards, and tried again, but this time I needed all the power to get her to react, so I know that the receiver can at least reach 200 yds, which isn't too bad as the plane was on the floor, with metal gates and a hedge between us.

Bricks

Master member
It doesn't! Sadly I see many struggling to setup their AS3X and struggling to deal with extreme turbulence only to find that their gain was far too high and they were compensating by effectively overcontrollingthe control surface through poor expo settings.

have fun!

Now I understand what you were saying.