SAFE Spektrum receiver with Simple Storch?

wesdog222

Greetings,
I recently got back into the hobby with a ready to fly carbon cub from horizon hobby. It worked well until I abruptly lost control and switched to beginner mode when I realized I couldn't regain control. Flipping to beginner mode didn't work either and my plane was destroyed by a bad crash. I've built a Simple Storch speed build kit and power pack type C and transferred the receiver from the carbon cub to the new plane. I was able to make all the control surfaces move in the right directions and the motor spin up so I went for my maiden flight. To try to eliminate the SAFE functions of the receiver messing with the plane, I switched into advanced mode before taking off. I was able to lift the plane off the ground several times but it quickly winged over to the left and crashed every time. I know I need to compensate for the torque of the motor with rudder while taking off but it seems like something fishy is going on besides the normal physics of taking off a small aircraft. Even with elevator and aileron correction on takeoff the same type of crash still occurred immediately and I couldn't keep it off the ground. Does anyone know if its possible to use the SAFE receiver (model A3230A) with another plane besides the plane it came with? Thanks

Bricks

Master member
Are you sure safe is off with the transmitter and plane plugged in what happens when you move the plane from side to side?

wesdog222

Are you sure safe is off with the transmitter and plane plugged in what happens when you move the plane from side to side?
When the plane is on beginner mode the surfaces move when I move the plane around but when its on expert mode they don't. This should mean that there's no self stabilization taking place right?

quorneng

Master member
In expert mode the gyro is non functional but you must check that the control surfaces on your Simple Storch move in the correct sense relative to the Tx sticks. If you do have to reverse any channels on the Tx to get the controls to work correctly be warned the plane will then instantly crash in anything but expert mode.
Your A3230A has some things that are factory fixed and can only be changed with a suitable cable and smart phone.

wesdog222

UPDATE: I purchased a new receiver without SAFE or AS3X and I'm still having the same issues on take off. Again I ensured that the surfaces move in the right direction and had to reverse a few channels. I'm starting to think that maybe the geometry of the plane is off or I'm not a skilled enough pilot to get it into the air. Ive been taking off with a little over half throttle because I'm scared if I go full throttle I wont have time to correct for the yaw and roll experienced on takeoff. I checked the weight distribution left to right and the plane seems fairly balanced, nothing that would cause the level of wing overs that im experiencing. Thanks for yalls help so far!

CappyAmeric

Elite member
Left turn tendency is most pronounced on takeoff and climb (gyroscopic precession and motor torque). One problem a lot of new folks have is learning to proportionally offset with right rudder (preferably not aileron). Often, realizing too late that right rudder is needed, the novice will roll right but not yaw right, only exacerbating the left yaw.

I recommend that you setup dual rates and use low rate at first - and most important: use 40% expo on all three axis. That will soften the center of the sticks and make your corrections a little more mild.

Also try power off (or very low power) gliding a few times. if you can get someone else to hand launch it, so you can get the feel of the sticks before attempting takeoff and climb.

Battery800

Elite member
Left turn tendency is most pronounced on takeoff and climb (gyroscopic precession and motor torque). One problem a lot of new folks have is learning to proportionally offset with right rudder (preferably not aileron). Often, realizing too late that right rudder is needed, the novice will roll right but not yaw right, only exacerbating the left yaw.

I recommend that you setup dual rates and use low rate at first - and most important: use 40% expo on all three axis. That will soften the center of the sticks and make your corrections a little more mild.

Also try power off (or very low power) gliding a few times. if you can get someone else to hand launch it, so you can get the feel of the sticks before attempting takeoff and climb.
I think the cub and Storch are known to veer left especially hard

CappyAmeric

Elite member
I haven’t flown a Storch so I can’t speak about that, but the Simple Cub is not abnormally susceptible to P-factor (I flew one today). Left turn tendency is a normal issue in all single motor prop planes - from little ones to the biggest ones. Add power in a climb, add proportionate right rudder.

Last edited: