Salt water LiPo disposal - bad idea, or really bad idea?

Andrew

G'day Mate
The problem with using the salt water treatment is "today's advice" suffers from "Chinese Whispers Effect" , there's a few examples in this thread. If your not 100% sure of what your doing AND why "don't do it" give it to a professional to dispose of.

RC-Mallory

This conversation is inspiring me to make a lipo safe charging container, I'm thinking of modifying a military ammo can to have a XT60 connecter built into the side and some venting holes in the top so the battery can be completely isolated from everything flammable/expensive when charging. I will probably post some pictures of it on a new threat if I get the chance in case anyone wants to give it a try as well.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
This conversation is inspiring me to make a lipo safe charging container, I'm thinking of modifying a military ammo can to have a XT60 connecter built into the side and some venting holes in the top so the battery can be completely isolated from everything flammable/expensive when charging. I will probably post some pictures of it on a new threat if I get the chance in case anyone wants to give it a try as well.

Watch the FT video on battery bunkers. A simple brick and some silica play sand is all that is needed

ringo42

When I'm discharging a battery to dispose of, I plug in a taillight bulb and put it on my outdoor grill. It's usually dead in a half hour but I leave it for hours to make sure. Not too worried about something happening to it on a grill.

Reactions: FDS

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I would never have considered doing a salt bath, had never heard of it, and someone at a local RC shop actually recommended I dispose of lipos in a salt bath just last week. WHAAAAAt? I literally asked him if he was smoking crack. And now this thread comes back to life today. LOL.

Guess I shouldn't be too surprised cuz he was also insiting the 1/16 traxxas I was looking at was a 1/10, and the other 1/10 trucks in the store were 1/5. LOL Can't get good help some days....

Cheers!
LitterBug

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
I just cut the outer wrapper off, wipe my fingerprints off the lipo, then throw it in any dumpster I find. No problems so far. Lol

Headbang

Master member
I know this is a bad idea. I say very strongly DO NOT do this.
I throw them in the burn barrel, or use them as live ammo targets. Either way you get a show.