Sample OpenTX / Taranis Setups for Planes, Quads, and Other

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Sure - I've migrated that transmitter over to OpenTX 2.2 - OTX file attached here and on the first post.

This file name might say it's a ZIP when you download it, but just rename it to an OTX extension to use it. The forum system doesn't allow uploading an OTX file directly.

View attachment RockyBoy X9Dplus v37.otx.zip

And Welcome to the Forums! :)

Last edited:

davidfxiao

Hey rockyboy, thanks for the thread. I'm trying to connect to Phoenix flight sim. When I download your X9D+ zip file, I see the files named model 1 through 39, but I don't see any named for phoenix. Which one should I use?

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
One of the first few is called "Simulator" I think - what version of OpenTX are you using? When I move the files between radios they come up named rather than numbered.

davidfxiao

I have OpenTX 2.2
I actually got it to work. Just needed to set it to "Slave" in the training port.
But I'm curious to see what your settings are. What's the next time you're going to fly?

davidj

Trouble running the file

It wants to open as a zip despite renaming and even associating. Cant read it. Can you upload to dropbox or similar please?

rotozuk

Hey All, good thread, nice to see people helping one another out.

I will always strongly suggest when you are new to OpenTX on these radios that you do your own programming as much as possible. This will teach you how to use the radio more than plugging in someone else's file. By all means take a look at what they did, but try and program it yourself. In the end you will be much better with your radio as you learn how to push it harder.

As an added resource to this thread, there is a long running site that keeps an archive of people's files, some of these are very complex, and great examples to study from. You can find them here:
http://rcsettings.com/

Some of the features I like to add to my models is the ability to fine tune a mix while in flight without taking my eyes off the plane. This is great for flap to elevator compensation. I set my Taranis up so I can use the throttle trim to adjust the amount of corrective elevator when the flaps are down. This means I can easily land on my first flight. I do the same with the aileron differential. Another super cool feature is when setting up a student/trainer setup. You can program the radio so that anytime the master radio sticks are moved, they take control of the plane, no need to hit a "student" switch to regain control of the plane. (This is how this function should have always worked..)

Anyhow, lots of cool things can be done, it is more a matter of opening your mind and thinking of new ways to do things. The LAU scripts further expand the radios into entire new areas. You can now program flight controllers, present flight data graphically, or just play a game on your radio thanks to these scripts. Seems like there is always something super cool people have thought up.

-Wayne
Aloft Hobbies

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Awesome site link Wayne - thank you!!

I find that half the battle for me (as an intermediate level Taranis user) is just thinking of the ideas that would be helpful. Like using a trim tab to adjust elevator compensation when flaps are engaged separately from normal trim. Makes brilliant sense - and I even think I could set it up, but without the idea first I'd just keep wearing my brown pants to the field :black_eyed:

On that trim tab idea, I remember when someone first told me about the idea of cross-trims. Changed my world! Pretty much all of my planes are setup with cross-trims now so the throttle side trim tab controls the elevator trim, and the rudder trim tab controls the aileron trim, etc. This really helps with keeping a hands on the sticks when trimming and removes the need to even think about reaching over and accidentally hitting that power button going for a trim tab.

tamuct01

The coolest thing I found on the Taranis recently is the instant trim feature. It's a special function that I tie to the momentary switch (SH, I think) that when activated will take the input from the sticks and transfer to the trims. Excellent when performing a maiden on a new plane. Just hold it steady and pull the switch. Just be sure to deactivate the function before the next flight in case you accidentally bump it!

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I know instant trim sounds like a great idea, but I had a horrible experience using in. Maybe I was using it wrong. Anyway, I was holding straight and level into the wind, popped the instant trim button, and relaxed the sticks back to center. And they plane didn't fly quite right. So I figure no problem - I'll just get level again and try the button a second time. Hoo boy - that really messed things up, now I was barely hanging onto control. I was able to get it on the ground with minimal damage finally, but it's a good thing I had my brown pants on that day.

I think what happened is the second time I hit instant trim it didn't know how to account for the trims that were already there along with the stick movements. And this might have been all noob pilot error as it was about two years ago too, but I've done manual trims ever since.

RCdiy

RCdiy
Started a new thread on instant trims
http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?36250-Instant-Trims-OpenTX-2-2&p=360640#post360640

I know instant trim sounds like a great idea, but I had a horrible experience using in. Maybe I was using it wrong. Anyway, I was holding straight and level into the wind, popped the instant trim button, and relaxed the sticks back to center. And they plane didn't fly quite right. So I figure no problem - I'll just get level again and try the button a second time. Hoo boy - that really messed things up, now I was barely hanging onto control. I was able to get it on the ground with minimal damage finally, but it's a good thing I had my brown pants on that day.

I think what happened is the second time I hit instant trim it didn't know how to account for the trims that were already there along with the stick movements. And this might have been all noob pilot error as it was about two years ago too, but I've done manual trims ever since.

rotozuk

Might be fun just to share some of our favorite ideas and maybe that will spark something for other folks that will help them.

I fly gliders, but I fly mostly slope gliders. The typical glider setup has all kinds of mixes from all kinds of switches and knobs. I used to setup my planes in the Taranis like I had in my Futaba, the traditional switches and pots, and try to remember them all. Somewhere along the line I started trimming down my mixes for how I actually fly my planes. This is my Slope Glider setup:

I have triple rates for elevator and ailerons on 2 different switches. If it is a race plane, my lowest rates will be my race levels, these will be very low, and you would not want to use them for aerobatics!! This keeps the plane as clean as possible without a bunch of extra throw.

For my "glider mixes" I have a single switch, and I only use 2 positions on that switch. I basically have a "landing mode" and a "flying mode". In landing mode I turn off the other glider mixes and enable my crow mix that is controlled by the throttle stick. The first 50% of travel for the throttle stick is just flaps, the second 50% also adds in spoileron. (This allows me to have full roll control for more turbulent conditions (full use of ailerons), but full braking when in cleaner air.) When in Flying Mode, the crow mix is turned off, and the throttle now does nothing. Snap flap is on (for most planes) and applies a little ailerons/flap with the elevator and a little flap to aileron mix so the flaps follow the ailerons by 50% or so. That is basically it. I also can dial a little flap down via a pot, I use this for launching and when searching for lift. A little flap on launch helps to avoid a tip stall. This comes in handy when self launching a big 10 lb glider that likes to tip stall at low airspeeds.

For my thermally planes, I will add a thermal mix, and may even have an aileron to rudder mix for when I am specking out the glider. I usually like to do the rudder with my left hand, but I get lazy when flying very high and will let the radio do the basic mixing for me. When I am flying a thermal ship I am often times just flying with the right stick and chatting with a buddy. LOL

raneous

The coolest thing I found on the Taranis recently is the instant trim feature. It's a special function that I tie to the momentary switch (SH, I think) that when activated will take the input from the sticks and transfer to the trims. Excellent when performing a maiden on a new plane. Just hold it steady and pull the switch. Just be sure to deactivate the function before the next flight in case you accidentally bump it!

And any one else using 2.2.0 and insta trim:)

While I agree with rockyboy on the using manual trims, I did not have the confidence to take my hands off the sticks when I first started flying a couple months ago. I too was very excited about finding the insta trim function! My only concern was accidentally bumping it somehow:( I could see bad things happening there. I found somewhere that there was a SH long or short press option and thought "Perfect, I'll HAVE to hold the momentary down so no worries about accidentally engaging the function.

Well I'm running 2.2.0 and this option was removed from that firmware. Why, I could not tell you? Seems to me that having the option would be handy? At any rate knowing there is more than one way to skin a cat, I set about doing some research and came up with this solution. Screen Shot 2017-07-14 at 10.59.55 PM.png

I created a logical switch and used the EDGE function. V1 is your momentary (SHdown), V2 is the amount of time you want the delay set at. I chose 2sec (which is longer than it sounds when your trying to fly flat on your maiden with the trims out;)). In the second box match the time that you choose and set it to "infinite". Then as a bonus you can add the AND switch to be your arming switch (SFdown in my case) so that it can only be activated while armed. Then go to special functions and set L01 to be insta trim and check the activate box. One thing that happens when you set it up like this is that you won't hear the insta trim audible cue until you release SH. If you held it long enough you'll hear it, if you don't hear it you have to try again. I did not like this uncertainty so I added another special function to play a sound while SH was being held. Set the repeat interval at 1s and now ta-da! An audible cue to assist you in knowing how long you've been holding SH.

Funny part about this is I set it up for my 3rd FT Arrow build. Maidened it, hit the insta trim when I had her flying straight (so I thought:rolleyes:). It was still a little off though but not so much that I was too intimidated to leave the stick and give it the little bit of manual blips it needed. Haven't used insta trim since:rolleyes:. I just needed that initial toss in the water and now I'm swimming:D

Last edited:

RCdiy

RCdiy
Thinking out loud
wonder about practicing using instant trim p in a simulator like clear virw, phoenix etc.

daxian

Elite member
hi all ....
just moved over to the qx7 ,found this thread ...nice ! some usefull tips here ...thanks !!

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Glad it's helping guys! Feel free to ask questions or post files for any problem you're running into.

I've managed to attract some rather smart people to follow this thread and I'm sure we can get an answer to almost any OpenTX question :)

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Just a little bump on this thread to let people know I've updated my QX7 file back up in the 4th post (and attached here also).

View attachment X7 - OpenTX2.2.0_Sample.zip

I found some settings for the Inductrix FPV on RCGroups that really helped me (as a noob quad pilot) and I think it's worth sharing, especially for anyone else who got so frustrated with the little bugger they didn't fly it for about 6 months. Now I'm having a great time with it and my skilz are getting better :)

A MILLION THANKS!

Thanks a million for putting this out there.... Ive been having hell coming over to the dark side from the other F brand land... This is seriously appreciated!

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Thanks a million for putting this out there.... Ive been having hell coming over to the dark side from the other F brand land... This is seriously appreciated!

You're welcome!

And welcome to the forums! So what and where are you flying?

If you run into any questions or just want another set of eyes giving some ideas on your OpenTX models feel free to post up an epee or OTX file. We're here to pass some help forward from all those who helped us :)