Sample OpenTX / Taranis Setups for Planes, Quads, and Other

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Inspired by TJ & the Flite Test video on setting up a new model in the Taranis Q-X7 radio, the thread of community comments spawned from that video, and further instigated by @Craftydan, I offer to the FT community a thread with the following goals:

• Collect sample models for the various radios using OpenTX (all the FrSky, some of the FlySky, & a couple Turnigy models)
  • Gather the collected feedback and wisdom of the FT community to help us all program OpenTX better
  • Help everyone avoid unintended outcomes (like a switch position that accidentally disables the elevator channel)
  • Make that OpenTX learning curve just a little less rough for everyone

In this thread I'll keep post #2 reserved as an index to point to various sample files that get posted. I'll also reserve post #3 for an edited running list of best practices we collectively come up with so noobs (like we all were at one point) don't end up needing to read through hundreds of posts looking for the gems.

I ask that when people post up a sample file, please include the following info to help me populate the index:

• Which radio the file has been used with an dwhich OpenTX version number
  • The model name in the file and what aircraft type the model is intended to work with
  • Any special features that are particularly interesting - or troublesome.

Example:

Taranis X9D+ & Q-X7​
SIM_Phoeni - Phoenix Simulator Model​
Basic channel functions and fancy two-step throttle cut to match my live flying models​

If you feel like a step-by-step break down of each setting or specific functions, that's great - but not expected. I'm sure as questions come up the OP (original poster) and others will be happy to chime in.

So let's keep it clean, keep it positive, and start helping out all these very handsome and intelligent people who have chosen to get into OpenTX!

https://www.open-tx.org/
https://www.multi-module.org/

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Thank you @bitogre for finding this excellent flowchart of how the functions in OpenTX work together, and getting us started on this list of best practices in your video comment thread! Be sure to check it out for some excellent links to OpenTX resources and great community ideas too!

OTX_flow.png
from http://www.rc-soar.com/opentx/basics/index.htm

Collected Best Practice list for OpenTX Models

1. Test all setups in all switch positions to make sure things will work when you bump a switch without realizing it
  2. Put dual rates and expo on the Inputs page, not Mixes
  3. Always leave your last mix item with no switch so it will default to it if none of the switched mixes are active
  4. Use global variables in flight modes to quickly enable multiple rates & expo levels (see Rockyboy's sample file for more info)
  5. Upgrade your transmitter firmware from the factory installed version to the latest stable release - then leave it be until a new software feature is released that you want to use

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Taranis Q-X7 OpenTX 2.2.0
View attachment X7 - OpenTX2.2.0_Sample.zip

1) SIM_Clearv - Clearview Simulator Model
Basic channel functions mapped for Clearview channel order

2) SIM_Phoeni - Phoenix Simulator Model
Basic channel functions mapped for the Phoenix flight simulator, a simple throttle cut to match my live flying model switch setup, and 3 flight modes using global variables to adjust rates and expos

3) BenchTest
Basic channel functions mapping I use for thrust / bench testing motors and ESC's

5) DX5e Emula - Spektrum DX5e emulation model for BNF
Basic channel functions mapped for Spektrum BNF models, a fancy two-step throttle cut requiring low throttle to activate, 3 flight modes using global variables to adjust rates and expos, a timer readout & reset switch, and instant trim

7) NB98 - a F3 brushed motor board running betaflight and 8mm motors. A little beast :)

8) FuriBee - F3 Furibee TinyWhoop running betaflight
I use this one quite a bit. I do use radio based expo and rates (I know, I know - supposed to leave that all in Betaflight, but I just find it easier to learn to fly and tweak these settings in the radio). Also has 3 flight modes with different expo/rate settings, fail safe, engine disarm, acro/horizon/angle modes, buzzer, and OSD switch. There are a few mixes on Channel 7 that are supposed to help do OSD based setting changes in Betaflight, but I've never been able to get those to work.

9) IndFPV - Inductrix FPV
I also fly and tweak this one quite a lot. I setup radio based rates and expo on 3 flight modes using some pretty aggressive expo and pretty restrictive rates to tame the twitchy little beast for my slow reflexes and dumb thumbs :p Honestly, I was very frustrated with the Inductrix until I found these settings on RC Groups and brought it under control. Now I'm enjoying getting stick time on it and getting better. :)

11) Wizard 220 - the Eachine purple one
Most everything mentioned on the Orange Quad below, but without any radio expo (this one I setup in betaflight more correctly).

12) Tricopter - my old school KK2.1 driven tri
I haven't really cleaned up this model since over two years ago, so I have no idea how many bad habbits I had in the programming. Not suggested for others to use as a measure of 'good ideas'

13) OrangeQuad - a betaflight based racing quad
Radio expo controlled by flight modes (yeah, I should move this into beta flight but I haven't yet), and the most common betaflight flight modes controlled via switch (arming, acro, angle, horizon, etc). Also sends RSSI to the FC via channel 8, and has my preferred fancy throttle cut to match my plane setups.

I also have two global functions in the main radio settings that map the radio volume to S1 and play the Timer 1 value when SH is pushed down.

Also, in the special functions tab you'll notice I'm using a lot of audio feedback - I've installed the Amber sound pack for more audio options.

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Taranis X9D+ OpenTX 2.2.0

View attachment RockyBoy X9Dplus v37.otx.zip

A whole lot of models in here (over 20). The file will say it's a .ZIP when you download it, but it's not really. Just rename it to have a .OTX extension and you'll be good to go. My global functions and sound pack setups are similar to my Q-X7 radio setup. Also, pretty much all of my planes are setup with cross-trims so the throttle side trim tab controls the elevator, and the rudder trim tab controls the aileron trim, etc. This really helps with keeping a hands on the sticks when trimming and removes the need to even think about reaching over and accidentally hitting that power button going for a trim tab.

The first set are setup for simulators with the same functionality as my Q-X7 setups, and an additional Bench Test model I keep bound to a receiver I use in the workshop for testing motor/esc/prop combos.

The rest of the models are all my planes, all using similar switch layouts and the fancy two step throttle cut. Set two are my ARF's, set three are the balsa models, and set four are the DTFB ones that are still airworthy :black_eyed:

The main reason I left all these models in the file rather than just uploading one or two representative models is to show how I organize them. By keeping a couple blank models between the sets it makes it easier to find what I want to fly. I'd love to hear what other organization schemes people use - I'm sure someone out there has a better idea than mine, and I want to use it! :)

Last edited:

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Thank you for starting this thread rockyboy. This could turn out to be a very valuable resource for all of us OpenTX users.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Thank you for starting this thread rockyboy. This could turn out to be a very valuable resource for all of us OpenTX users.

Thanks! I'm really looking forward to checking out the files people post for new ideas! (Hint hint... ;) )

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
Wow. Taranis owner for a little over a year now. Still haven't connected it to a computer.

I am guessing that connecting to a computer is how you copy these files?

I'm skeerd. It works well as it is. What if I screw something up? Can I brick my radio by connecting it wrong? Can I get corrupt files that have viruses? Will people try to sneak stuff into my radio, like sound effects, when I only want to load a certain model setup?

Holy Crap!!! I just found a Micro SD Card in my radio! Did I put that there or did it come with it?

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Still need to cull through and post my model files, but in the meantime, a guy I've been following on RCGroups finally built a hexapod he wrote a program for YEARS ago. Why is this relevant? Because ALL the leg movement sequencing and timing logic is done via the Taranis on-board systems. Yup. You read that right. No on-board Arduino or Raspberry Pi, just liberal and extensive use of Special Functions, Logical Switches and Timers ...and mixes, delays, basically every channel function you can think of. The only hardware on the robot itself are batteries, servos and receivers. Anyone with 12 servos, some flat material and a couple receivers can build a working hexapod. Just download the epee model file to your Taranis and go!

This is the thread with all the gory details.

And these are the newly posted videos of the thing finally working:

I post these not to point people to another forum, but solely to provide a (now) working example of just how powerful the Taranis can be with a little lateral thinking and ingenuity. The only limits are our own imaginations!! :cool:

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Tommy, if it works good for you and you aren't needing some special feature then I'd say there is no reason you need too upgrade. Could come live on the edge anyway though. :)

Ben - wow! That's an amazing project! Thanks for sharing!

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
Tommy, if it works good for you and you aren't needing some special feature then I'd say there is no reason you need too upgrade. Could come live on the edge anyway though. :)

Living on the edge actually is not only about new features included in an update, but also old bugs being removed. I usually suggest people to update, unless it's a ".0" version number.

pressalltheknobs

Posted a thousand or more times
Wow. Taranis owner for a little over a year now. Still haven't connected it to a computer.

I am guessing that connecting to a computer is how you copy these files?

I'm skeerd. It works well as it is. What if I screw something up? Can I brick my radio by connecting it wrong? Can I get corrupt files that have viruses? Will people try to sneak stuff into my radio, like sound effects, when I only want to load a certain model setup?

Holy Crap!!! I just found a Micro SD Card in my radio! Did I put that there or did it come with it?

The X9D+ comes with an SD card...The Q-X7 does not and you have to supply one...part of why its cheaper.

If your X9D+ was new when you bought it you either have OpenTX version 2.0 something or OpenTX 2.1.6 something. The something is because FrSky versions are not identical to the released OpenTX versions...for no particular reason except FrSky stupidity as far as I can tell.

The main difference between OpenTX 2.0 and 2.1 is a few name changes, Servos became Outputs, and how Telemetry is done. If you do a lot of Telemetry then you probably will want to plan your move from 2.0 to 2.1 carefully. I would upgrade to the latest 2.0 release first. If you have 2.1.6 something then you are already doing Telemetry the new way. If you don't use Telemetry or use it very little then it's not big deal to upgrade to 2.1.9. 2.2 is not released yet so I don't recommend that unless it has something you need.

You do not need to connect your Taranis to the PC to upgrade the firmware or to transfer other peoples models. You will have to use a PC to get the firmware and to prepare other people's models so you can use them but you can do the firmware and model transfer just through the SD card... it's a lot easier to do directly though.

However....FrSky screwed up their 2.1.6 release and if you have that and want to upgrade, the first time you do it should be via the SD card. I wrote a procedure for that here not long ago....I'll find it.

NOTE: In case you get a sudden enthusiasm to do this, do not install Zadig! It has been unnecessary since the X9D+ and OpenTX 2.0 was released. Use the OpenTX Bootloader which does not require any special drivers and is now the preferred method of direct connection for most people.

The Zadig/STM32 driver method still works and is occasionally useful when things go wrong.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Mr Rocky. I dl'd the epee file scanned it and tried to extract it.. says its not a valid file to be extracted... What did I break this time?

Second. Have you flashed to the newest Open tx yet? I did all the updates recently to get my Alien back in the air. I found that NONE of my model profiles transferred over and were functional. I am in the process of remaking them and have not been able to get the Freerider one to talk to the sim even though I have set the channels to 50% weight and 50% offset.

The radio is talking to my computer as I have as stated flashed it. It does show the Taranis both as a removable drive (sim card) and the radio (eeprom) so I am pretty sure that is all good. Do you have any trouble with sims IF you have updated to the latest and greatest?

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I think the answer here is "it's not you, it's me"

For some reason my %^!%$ home PC has done this a couple time. Spits out a ZIP file that doesn't unzip.

I'll get this fixed ASAP.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
No Rush. The real question was about the latest Open tx and whether or not others can no longer set up for flight sims or not.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Ahh - I'm running the latest version on my X7 radio and the conversion process was messy as it has fewer physical switches than the X9D+

I haven't taken the plunge yet to upgrade the X9D+ to the 2.2 release - was going to hold on till a final release instead of the release candidates. Haven't tried connecting 2.2 to a flight sim either. Sorry - not much help on this one :confused:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Ahh well.. my last battery is on the charger now so real flying will suffice for the day.. I WILL be back tomorrow to pester you again though.

crunch69

There looks like there may be an issue converting the eepe files posted. The first file was only 5k and retired out in opentx2.2 the second eepe file only partly converted. The curves and gv are all blank. Could the model file be posted in the new opentx flie standard ..otx?

Cheers
Crunch