Satellite receiver issues with Aura 5

Stuka72

I've really been wanting to put the aura 5 in a mighty mini size Sopwith Pup I made but the satellite receiver i have ( the Spektrum SPM9645) wont enter bind mode or do anything as far as I can tell. All that happens is the small orange led on it will flash very quickly as the battery is plug in and then nothing. It wont bind at all. I've tried trouble shooting the issue seeing if it was a power issue but the power voltage seems fine. I have also tried setting up a spectrum profile of the aura 5 using the config tool but still nothing. Is there a way to tell if the receiver is dead? I've never used it and I originally got it back around 2012 or 2013. Any help is much appreciated!!

Stuka72

I hope this will help anyone else out that might be have similar issues as I. But after another few more hours of thinking and tinkering I was able to get my set up to work. However, it by no means uses the pre-programmed profiles. I had to make one.

Here is what I did.
1. Download the "Aura config tool" a simple search will pull up the right site with the download and set it up per the website instructions ( the setup wizard for programming the aura boards will make this much easier and it's what I reference).
2. Make a new configuration with the transmitter type as "Spektrum", receiver connection as "spektrum remote".
3. Connect the aura 5 board to your computer via the USB cable, and click connect in the program (should be in the bottom right of the window)
4. Hit the "Write All" button near the bottom right of the window.
5. Disconnect the Aura from the cable.
6. Boot up the flight-controller as you would with any other Spektrum receiver (by holding the BIND button well plugging in the battery [this will be easier with a second person])

After doing this the controller and most importantly the satellite receiver went into bind mode. once its in bind mode boot your transmitter in its bind mode and it should bind! For the most part after this I followed the basic setup as per the Flite Test video to make sure the gyros were working in the right direction.

I did come across one more strange thing though. After binding and getting everything set up I noticed the gyro assist was working in the proper direction for the elevator but my inputs were reversed! Reversing the servo in the controller will NOT fix this you have to do it via the config tool if you have this issue.

1. Go to the servo ports tab in the Config tool program
2. Select servo port 4 (this is the default for elevator you may need to do this with a different port if its happening with rudder or aileron)
3. Scroll down to the servo port output tuning section
4. Change the direction from "normal" to "reverse"
5. Connect the aura 5 to your computer as before
6. Click the "Write all button again"

After this the gyro should move the control surface in the right direction and the transmitter input was in the right direction.

NOTE you can do all the set up (except for Binding) well the plane is on and connected to your transmitter and/or in the basic setup mode as per the video to test everything before disconnecting the aura 5 from your computer. This can save some time and speed up the process.
Also be sure to save any configuration changes you make! The program does NOT auto save.

One down side to doing this though is that most of the gains for the gyros will be default and NOT the same as the pre-programmed configuration. You may have to play with those to get them working how you want. This does require flying then re-hooking it up to your computer. This can be a lengthy process.

Personally I think the aura configs tool's set up wizard is very strait forward to use and easy to learn if you just poke around a little. This can make other setups that are not pre-programmed like differential thrust much easier to do.

MWL

I hope this will help anyone else out that might be have similar issues as I. But after another few more hours of thinking and tinkering I was able to get my set up to work. However, it by no means uses the pre-programmed profiles. I had to make one.

Here is what I did.
1. Download the "Aura config tool" a simple search will pull up the right site with the download and set it up per the website instructions ( the setup wizard for programming the aura boards will make this much easier and it's what I reference).
2. Make a new configuration with the transmitter type as "Spektrum", receiver connection as "spektrum remote".
3. Connect the aura 5 board to your computer via the USB cable, and click connect in the program (should be in the bottom right of the window)
6. Boot up the flight-controller as you would with any other Spektrum receiver (by holding the BIND button well plugging in the battery [this will be easier with a second person])

After doing this the controller and most importantly the satellite receiver went into bind mode. once its in bind mode boot your transmitter in its bind mode and it should bind! For the most part after this I followed the basic setup as per the Flite Test video to make sure the gyros were working in the right direction.

I did come across one more strange thing though. After binding and getting everything set up I noticed the gyro assist was working in the proper direction for the elevator but my inputs were reversed! Reversing the servo in the controller will NOT fix this you have to do it via the config tool if you have this issue.

2. Select servo port 4 (this is the default for elevator you may need to do this with a different port if its happening with rudder or aileron)

After this the gyro should move the control surface in the right direction and the transmitter input was in the right direction.

NOTE you can do all the set up (except for Binding) well the plane is on and connected to your transmitter and/or in the basic setup mode as per the video to test everything before disconnecting the aura 5 from your computer. This can save some time and speed up the process.
Also be sure to save any configuration changes you make! The program does NOT auto save.

One down side to doing this though is that most of the gains for the gyros will be default and NOT the same as the pre-programmed configuration. You may have to play with those to get them working how you want. This does require flying then re-hooking it up to your computer. This can be a lengthy process.

Personally I think the aura configs tool's set up wizard is very strait forward to use and easy to learn if you just poke around a little. This can make other setups that are not pre-programmed like differential thrust much easier to do.
I have the same problem with my Aura5. Tried to bind it with an old SPM 4647 receiver that I had and it wouldn't bind. I then bought a SPM9745 and still couldn't bind. I'll try your helpful trick tomorrow and let you know how it works out. Thanks

MWL

Hey Stuka, Your system worked. I can't thank you enough. I now can get my plane in the air with a little gyro help for when I need it. I looks like there is about 3 sec to get to the bind button before it goes into the orange failed mode.
Thanks

mfeaster

Here is what I did.

Hey Stuka, I am having similar problems with a Spektrum SPM9650. How did you wire the connections to the receiver? I have tried multiple wiring configurations and am not having any luck powering up the receiver, let alone binding it.