SAW 2020 - Spitfires Around the World 2020. World wide January 1st invitational

kilroy07

Legendary member
Okay so a bunch of us were talking over on the spitfire thread...
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/spit-roasted-fb.59444/

How cool would it be to try and pull off a world wide group fly.
That is to say that we pick a day, and invite everyone to fly a FT model that day at a specific time (relative to their time zone.)

So, since this idea came to light on the spitfire thread (and it really is one of the sweeter flying FT planes I own and think everyone should have one) the idea is this;

On January 1st 2020. Fly a FT Spitfire at noon (Local time.)
And (most importantly) come back here and log your flight(s)!

Now, I know. This challenge isn't going to be for everyone.
If you don't own one, you've only got a month and a half to add one to your fleet (or heck, just FLY any FT model and join us.)
And weather will almost certainly be an issue for some (it's usually below freezing locally for me, but our local group has a sort of polar-bear event Jan 1 anyway.)

So this is (obviously) just for fun, and don't feel pressured if you plan to join us, but things fall through (stuff happens.)
I don't expect us to cover every time zone, but it would be cool to see who all plans on joining!

If someone wants to cross post this to the FB group that would be great! (I personally don't do FB anymore.)

Here's looking forward to a great year flying and a great community!
Timothy

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I'm out of work again. You know what that means, right? I'm all in! January 1st at noon, Eastern Standard Time. GMT -5:00 if I remember correctly. We've got to do something to mark the occasion as more than just another flight, though. I'm thinking it's time to tow some streamers! :D

kilroy07

Legendary member
I'm in. I think you made it easy for me.
Yea, where are you at on that thing?...
‘Bout where I’m at on the Luscombe?!...
🤣

I'm out of work again. You know what that means, right? I'm all in! January 1st at noon, Eastern Standard Time. GMT -5:00 if I remember correctly. We've got to do something to mark the occasion as more than just another flight, though. I'm thinking it's time to tow some streamers! :D
GMT -6 here. Be chilly... but I hope to have mine minwaxed and painted by then.

mayan

Legendary member
Alright so before we forget here is a quick reminder for the 1st of January make sure you start getting your Spitfires together! BTW I have an issue with the date but will try to come up with an awesome solution and open a thread about it tomorrow morning.

mayan

Legendary member
Ok I'll post my problem here and also open a thread about it to get more attention and maybe help. Ok so here goes...
I actually have this date saved in the calendar on my phone so my wife knows not to open an afternoon shift for me on that day, but then something else happened. My wife wanted to go for a vacation during Christmas and New Year also having my birthday being on the 10/01. I pulled up the shelves and started getting the trip arranged, being dying to take the kids aboard again for a long time now, so completely forgot about the 01/01 date I had saved. So here is where I need someones help, during the 30/12 to the 08/01 I'll be with the whole family in Rome, Italy; anyone lives close by, has a Spitfire, a flying field near by, and is willing to let me fly it on the 01/01 afternoon weather permitting of course. I do have a problem taking my own Spitfire (size, carry method, etc.), but don't mind bringing in my electronics (motor,esc,servos, etc.).

Any body want to fly a Spitfire with me at Rome, Italy on the 01/01?

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Ok I'll post my problem here and also open a thread about it to get more attention and maybe help. Ok so here goes...
I actually have this date saved in the calendar on my phone so my wife knows not to open an afternoon shift for me on that day, but then something else happened. My wife wanted to go for a vacation during Christmas and New Year also having my birthday being on the 10/01. I pulled up the shelves and started getting the trip arranged, being dying to take the kids aboard again for a long time now, so completely forgot about the 01/01 date I had saved. So here is where I need someones help, during the 30/12 to the 08/01 I'll be with the whole family in Rome, Italy; anyone lives close by, has a Spitfire, a flying field near by, and is willing to let me fly it on the 01/01 afternoon weather permitting of course. I do have a problem taking my own Spitfire (size, carry method, etc.), but don't mind bringing in my electronics (motor,esc,servos, etc.).

I wish I had your problem buddy, not much sympathy to hand out to you here but what I would say, take your electronics with you and whip together a spit while you are there. Build what you can at home, Ex- wing halves, bare fuse, tail feathers and pod, suitcase it all in various bags packed with clothes around it for damage control. Then put the puzzle together when you arrive with some quick glue and go fly over the coliseum. What an epic vid that would be! Problem solved

buzzbomb

I know nothing!

I can't recall any members from Italia. Seriously, though? You're going to Rome with your family and your worried about an RC plane? Mayan! Get a grip, man! Screw the RC and appreciate the memories!

mayan

Legendary member
I wish I had your problem buddy, not much sympathy to hand out to you here but what I would say, take your electronics with you and whip together a spit while you are there. Build what you can at home, Ex- wing halves, bare fuse, tail feathers and pod, suitcase it all in various bags packed with clothes around it for damage control. Then put the puzzle together when you arrive with some quick glue and go fly over the coliseum. What an epic vid that would be! Problem solved
And get busted. Next thing I'll be flying will be paper airplanes in Italian prison no thanks :).

I can't recall any members from Italia. Seriously, though? You're going to Rome with your family and your worried about an RC plane? Mayan! Get a grip, man! Screw the RC and appreciate the memories!
That would make for an epic memory :).

I agree, but as we know for @mayan, Rc planes is his mistress :LOL: He wants his cannoli and eat it too :ROFLMAO:
True that and my building/field buddy from work (wife knows, don't worry). I really want to fly out of my flying zone too and if I can make that moment with my son in Italy it would be epic in my book.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
And get busted. Next thing I'll be flying will be paper airplanes in Italian prison no thanks :).
I was joking about flying over the coliseum but not packing a partially assembled plane man. You aren't running drugs like a mule, you are packing a hobby toy.

I am in the same boat with Buzz, I haven't heard of anyone here from Italy, make your own thread on the issue and see if anyone responds. Or just forego this one and have fun with the family.

Or pre-record a new years vid and release it on new years day. I won't tell anybody, your secret is safe with me bud

mayan

Legendary member
I was joking about flying over the coliseum but not packing a partially assembled plane man. You aren't running drugs like a mule, you are packing a hobby toy.

I am in the same boat with Buzz, I haven't heard of anyone here from Italy, make your own thread on the issue and see if anyone responds. Or just forego this one and have fun with the family.

Or pre-record a new years vid and release it on new years day. I won't tell anybody, your secret is safe with me bud
LOL. I know you were joking about the plane over the Coliseum and was playing along you kinda ruined it party pooper!

I'll open a thread just for the fun of maybe getting to fly in somewhat different weather from what I am used too.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
LOL. I know you were joking about the plane over the Coliseum and was playing along you kinda ruined it party pooper!

I'll open a thread just for the fun of maybe getting to fly in somewhat different weather from what I am used too.
Dude you wouldn't last in jail anyway, they would tear you in half and use you as chopsticks :ROFLMAO: