SBD Dauntless from scratch (Scale looking)

What accessories should I add under the wings?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cdfigueredo

Elite member
@cdfigueredo The detail is truly amazing; especially with your limited resources!
Even if I was a skilled pilot I would be afraid to fly it because I would hate to see such fine craftsmanship go up in flames! Lol
Thank you my friend! i am doing my best with what i can find here. Not bad i think.
Of course i will be afraid to fly it! i am concenr about the final weight. so if it ends to heavy, maybe i will hang it on the wall.
But i think i can make it fly. ;)

Last edited:

cdfigueredo

Elite member
More updates. Yesterday I was working in the tail group and these are the results. The blue foam really helps a lot, because the sanding process is very easy, contrary to the low density white foam. Notice how the rudder's hinge shaft runs through the fuselage.
1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 4.jpg 7.jpg

Last edited:

cdfigueredo

Elite member
Don't use a rudder. Just ailerons and elevator.
Yes, that is my last option. It is just a shame after lot of effort, discard the rudder. Also it could be convinient having a funcional rudder for landings.
I think before I leave the static ruder, I'll put the push rod on the outside.
I really don't use the rudder on my models very often, but honestly on more than one occasion they have saved my skin. When there is a lot of wind and the ailerons are not enough, a rudder turn is always good.

Anyway, thank you very much for the idea, my dear friend. ;)(y)(y)

Rhaps

Elite member
The lift's push rod is easily adjustable and works smoothly. The problem arises to turn the rudder. I think the space is too small to put any mechanism.
View attachment 177358 View attachment 177360
I really wish I could put the rod inside the fuselage. Any ideas? The space between the bbq stick and the edge of the fuselage is less than 1cm.

Pull-pull wires something like this?
I doubt it will be worth it though, might be difficult to make but what do i know.
1597791620582.png

P40VRP

The lift's push rod is easily adjustable and works smoothly. The problem arises to turn the rudder. I think the space is too small to put any mechanism.
View attachment 177358 View attachment 177360
I really wish I could put the rod inside the fuselage. Any ideas? The space between the bbq stick and the edge of the fuselage is less than 1cm.

@cdfigueredo Could you have a functional tail wheel and have an inconspicuous control horn on tail wheel and have control rod exit bottom of fuselage?
Maybe less conspicuous on bottom. Just trying to brain storm with what few brain cells I have left for an old man. Lol

cdfigueredo

Elite member
I DID IT!!!!! :p:cool::cool::cool:
I will try to explaind what i made with my poor english :rolleyes:.
i always use umbrella ribs as pushrods, are really strong to avoid bending and as light weigh as u can expect, and of course, are easy to find for me. So i took the pushrod and other small piece of same material and joing them using a kind of heat shirnking tube. Adding heat, it took the expected 90 degrees shape.
IMG_20200818_222637.jpg IMG_20200818_222702.jpg IMG_20200818_222716.jpg
It is flexible enough to allow moving without break the tube. I used an electrical conection to fix the pushrod to the hinge shaft.
IMG_20200818_222858.jpg IMG_20200818_222900.jpg IMG_20200818_222906.jpg

Last edited:

cdfigueredo

Elite member
@cdfigueredo Could you have a functional tail wheel and have an inconspicuous control horn on tail wheel and have control rod exit bottom of fuselage?
Maybe less conspicuous on bottom. Just trying to brain storm with what few brain cells I have left for an old man. Lol
Hey, our idea is great!!!!! i found a solution yesterday, but maybe i will mix your and also get a functional tail wheel.
Tahnk you!!!! Yur brain cells stil working pretty good!!!!!

cdfigueredo

Elite member
More progress. This time with the outer sections of the wings. I used approximately 2mm depreson skins, EPO and blue EXP.
IMG_20201006_205859.jpg IMG_20201006_205914_1.jpg

Flaps reinforcements are in blue. I'm still thinking about how I'm going to make all the holes in the flaps and brakes without weakening the control surface too much.
IMG_20201006_223652.jpg IMG_20201007_000114.jpg IMG_20201009_073235.jpg

Aileron cut and covered on both sides.
IMG_20201008_001111.jpg IMG_20201008_001116.jpg IMG_20201009_073220.jpg

It is all less tan 65g by now.
IMG_20201008_200459.jpg