Scale Backcountry - Big Tire - STOL Planes Thread, Scale ONLY please :)

Taildragger

Legendary member
New place for me to post my Scale Backcountry Adventure videos, and to post new builds, tips for scale BACKCOUNTRY accessories and cool aircraft.

In the title I said "Scale only please" because I'm really picky and planes in this thread will need to be based off a full-size plane, not just a high-wing plane you stuck bigger tires on. I hope this will be a place to see and learn how to make Backcountry stuff true-to-scale.

Please do NOT pull this thread off topic. That is what The Coffee Shop is for. (That aged well :/)

STUFF YOU WILL LEARN
  • How to make authentic-looking bushwheels in ANY size!
  • Maybe some techniques
STUFF YOU WILL SEE (Because I want to show off lol)
  • RC representation in full-scale STOL challenges
  • STOL competitions (in miniature)
  • RC STOL Drag!
  • RC planes in the real (full size) backcountry (yes this is really going to happen)
  • suggestions by YOU
Hopefully gonna be a cool thread.

Here's a vid to start us off. RC planes being used for a full-scale challenge, the Mountain Dew Twist-off Challenge.

Last edited:

Taildragger

Legendary member
i know its not a bush plane but can i get pics of the citabria
My citabria? Its scale and irl it can fly in the backcountry, so I'd say it can go here
It will be more scale once I add paint
1643311769437.png

1643311809286.png

1643311826246.png

1643311842798.png

1643311860851.png

and in its current condition: :(
1643311904837.png

that enough?

Piotrsko

Master member
Citabrias came in 2 flavors. flat bottom trainer, semi symm aerobatic. Flat bottom ones went north and got big wheels, big motors, sometimes extended tips.

Taildragger

Legendary member
Citabrias came in 2 flavors. flat bottom trainer, semi symm aerobatic. Flat bottom ones went north and got big wheels, big motors, sometimes extended tips.
yep, the 7GCBC and 7ECA
of course my citabria is the 7GCBC, the backcountry flavored (?) one

Piotrsko

Master member
The oleo gear is a curse man 😆 everybody hates it on the citabria it seems. People say it squished and makes the plane dart one way or the other
And luscombes have this tendency to get sideways, Bellancas bend gear legs, Pacers are a handful on the ground, Cessnas cant use flaps and cross control........... name a brand and it has its compromise which you either accept, fix, or sell the plane.

And for "flavors" think of quarks

OliverW

Legendary member
And luscombes have this tendency to get sideways, Bellancas bend gear legs, Pacers are a handful on the ground, Cessnas cant use flaps and cross control........... name a brand and it has its compromise which you either accept, fix, or sell the plane.

And for "flavors" think of quarks
Yep, I got a tip from a guy the other day. He was telling me to buy a luscombe. He said the problem with people ground looping them is that they look right off the nose, and need to focus on a point more out in the distance

OliverW

Legendary member
Our citabria thankfully has spring gear though, heard from my dad and our instructor that it's just amazing, miles better than the oleo.

SSgt Duramax

I have been thinking about doing a civilian MS type build, since those seem undermodeled. As far as bush planes go, I was thinking larger, like a Gipps Aero, a Twin Otter with the bush wheels (or floats), a kodiak, or a P-750. I know they aren't your typical taildraggers with cartoonishly big tires, but I think they would be neat.

Taildragger

Legendary member
I have been thinking about doing a civilian MS type build, since those seem undermodeled. As far as bush planes go, I was thinking larger, like a Gipps Aero, a Twin Otter with the bush wheels (or floats), a kodiak, or a P-750. I know they aren't your typical taildraggers with cartoonishly big tires, but I think they would be neat.
They're scale, and they're STOL. I love kodiaks btw they're another great idaho-made plane (y)
I had an orange one at my local airport at one point, it was cool (not my pic just similar)
1643396335706.png