Scale Backcountry - Big Tire - STOL Planes Thread, Scale ONLY please :)

SSgt Duramax

Can a P-40 work? The reason I ask, is I am looking at rebuilding mine. They were known for their off airport and short field performance. Give them a strip about as wide as the plane and a couple thousand feet long and they could be in the air.

Ligbaer

50 Percenter
to quote my first post "I'm really picky and planes in this thread will need to be based off a full-size plane, not just a high-wing plane you stuck bigger tires on."
a b-25 would count i guess because during the training for the doolittle raid Lt James McCarthy was able to do a 275 foot takeoff off of the uss hornet I don't know about the l in stol but that's a short takeoff for a 68 foot wingspan 20,300 pound bomber

Taildragger

Legendary member
Can a P-40 work? The reason I ask, is I am looking at rebuilding mine. They were known for their off airport and short field performance. Give them a strip about as wide as the plane and a couple thousand feet long and they could be in the air.
Can it haul in gear and people? I would categorize that more under a fighter then a bush plane.
To me it's like saying "but a paramotor can take off in 50 ft"

Scotto

Elite member
I was looking for paint ideas for a plane Im making and stumbled on this great article. https://mtay.us/revival-of-the-first-liaison-aircraft-began-here/ I thought you might like it. I found the paint job to do too.
ac075308-1024x768.jpg

Scotto

Elite member
I want to do some rc stol drags. What scale or wingspan or motor size (Id vote B) could we agree on? How long of a drag strip should we standardize?

Last edited:

L Edge

Master member
I say it depends on your plane size
Since I mostly run ~1/8 scale I went with 250ft but I know a lot of people don't have space for that

After looking at the Reno race, I've done STOL over trees for takeoff and landing, but that is different. So I am going to try the drag stuff. Thanks.

See you want to make a jet-powered Kitfox. Here's my EDF STOL fighter I designed. Bet it would handle the drag race with ease. All you have to do is level out after liftoff and race towards the end and tip up the nose to bleed off the air speed and land at 45 degrees. It all in rotating the nozzle. Notice, no landing gear.

Taildragger

Legendary member
After looking at the Reno race, I've done STOL over trees for takeoff and landing, but that is different. So I am going to try the drag stuff. Thanks.

See you want to make a jet-powered Kitfox. Here's my EDF STOL fighter I designed. Bet it would handle the drag race with ease. All you have to do is level out after liftoff and race towards the end and tip up the nose to bleed off the air speed and land at 45 degrees. It all in rotating the nozzle. Notice, no landing gear.

you have awesome builds man!

Tench745

Master member
STOL drags sound like a great way to teach/reinforce takeoff and landing skills. I am not a good enough pilot to do that yet, but boy do I want to be!