Scale build off: Progressive Aerodyne Searey

Tench745

Master member
I guess I can't ignore the building bug anymore so I'm announcing my intention to enter the scale build off with a scratch built Searey. As no 3-views or plans exist for it that I can find, I have drawn up my own based on numerous construction photos and one profile view from their website. Plans are currently drawn in 1:12 scale (33" wingspan), but I think building in 1:6 (66") or 1:9 (44") scale would make it easier to stay within weight. (14oz for a 1:12 scale with the proper cubic wing loading.) I'm also debating whether to use foam, or balsa. The prototype had either a fiberglass or carbon-fiber hull attached around an aluminum tubing fuselage. Suggestions are appreciated. More info to follow as decisions and progress are made. Searey_Landing.jpg

earthsciteach

Nice looking plane! I think the easiest way to tackle the hull would be to carve it out of foam insulation board. The rest would be whatever construction method I'd feel most comfortable with. Looking forward to seeing this one come along!

Speaking of which, I need to stop fiddling around with these multirotors so much and make some progress on my build.

Tench745

Master member
Okay, some decisions and some progress have been made. I'm sticking with the 1:12 scale I started drawing the plans in. I've got all the surfaces drafted for balsa construction.
DSCF2294.JPG

The hull is still to be decided on what the best construction method will be. Building planes is one of those things that just gets the obsessive juices flowing; I drove out in some of the worse weather we've had (in an over powered rear wheel drive car without ABS) to pick up the first round of balsa.
I decided to go for a Clark Y airfoil since I couldn't figure out what the prototype had, it looks pretty close. Ribs were then plotted in AutoCad and templates printed. First cuts have been made and a bundle of ribs awaits a spar.
DSCF2293.JPG

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
That draft looks pretty cool. Is there any chance you will publish plans? I've become a little bit of a sucker for seaplanes recently and this looks like one I'd convert over to DTF.

Tench745

Master member
We'll see how it comes out. If I like it I'll revise the drawings, maybe get them all in Autocad and release the plans. No guarantees though.

Tench745

Master member
I made a bit of progress the past few days. The tail surfaces are built and sanded to shape. The wings have been assembled and sanded to shape as well, minus the tips which I'm still debating the best way to do. I'll probably end up carving them from balsa blocks.
DSCF2295.JPG
Flaps and ailerons have also been framed up but are not reinforced or sanded to shape yet.
On the prototype the main chord of the wing ends at the leading edge of the flaps and ailerons, everything outboard from the aileron is a fiberglass cap piece.
mini-P1120909.JPG
Note: This picture is from the bottom of the wing. You can see the aluminum cuff on the LE extending farther aft on the upper surface than the lower. The horizontal bar you see is the torque tube for the ailerons. I may do something similar to actuate mine.

To mimic the framing of the prototype my wing has no standard spar. The loads are carried on a 1/4" basswood trailing edge and a 1/2" thick leading edge. A 3/32" sub-spar is notched into the wing 7/8" back from the leading edge which catches a 1/32" balsa sheet for additional torsional stiffness and to better mimic the aluminum cuff built into the prototype's wing.
DSCF2296.JPG

Weight so far? 1.5oz.
DSCF2297.JPG

Tench745

Master member
I've been working on this steadily and have the flaps and elevators cut out and sanded to final shape. Now I'm working on the wingtips. In an effort to save a little weight and because I don't trust my carving skills I decided to try a built up tip instead of just shaping them out of a solid block. The LE seemed too difficult to shape so I inserted solid balsa there. The rest is pretty obvious what I tried to do.
DSCF2298.JPG
The first picture is the un-skinned port wingtip showing framing.
DSCF2299.JPG
The second is the starboard wingtip skinned with 1/32 balsa. Please ignore the divot by the LE where my framing wasn't high enough. It looks okay but as the this third picture shows,
DSCF2300.JPG
it looks a little like a starved horse. There isn't quite the amount of curve I wanted across the center if the sheet. I could layer in another 1/32" sheet to build this up and sand to shape, use filler, cut it off and try something different or just ignore it. Suggestions are welcome.

Tench745

Master member
Got a little more done today. Wingtips are finished for now and I moved onto the hull. Looks like I'll be building it out of balsa. Since I developed sections for the hull I'm constructing it by laying a skin over forms on a strongback. I'll be constructing each profile out of 1/16" balsa but I ran out after cutting only 5 of the 12 sections I'd developed. Ultimately I think most of those will be redundant and if I finish out a set of plans only the ones you actually need will be given.

Tench745

Master member
Progress has been limited lately as I've just started training for a new job. On top of that I'm new to this type of hull construction in balsa and have been having a hard time getting the bow curves right. I ended up cutting the sides short and leaving the bottom panels long. I'll be piecing in the sides and probably have to use a block of balsa in the nose forward of the last bulkhead to get everything to come together right.
DSCF2303.JPG
DSCF2304.JPG
A few of the sections I'd developed were inaccurate and needed to be redone as I went.
I did get all my control surfaces hinged, so they will be ready for covering when I finally get there. I want to make sure I have any reinforcements where they need to be before I can't get to the structures anymore.
DSCF2302.JPG
DSCF2301.JPG

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
The hull is looking good. I'd also go with the balsa block for the very tip. Frankly it will be easier and probably cleaner in the long run.

Tench745

Master member
A bit more progress has been made. I finally figured out how to bend the bow sheeting to a reasonable facsimile of what I wanted. I had to laminate a 3/32" stringer as a gunwale to form the bow curve and hold the structure rigid enough to bend some sheeting to it. I used 3 strips of 1/32" sheet which I soaked and then bent into place. Once they were dry I removed them from the form, applied glue and re-pinned them to the form to dry. A second identical bow was made for the bow-deck piece.
DSCF2305.JPG
DSCF2307.JPG
DSCF2308.JPG
The bottom was then laid cross-grain in two pieces to allow it to curve into shape more easily. Neither soaking nor ammonia were enough to get the curves I needed with the grain following that of the rest of the hull.
Once the bottom was on it could be sanded to shape using the laminated bow as a guide then the side sheeting was glued and bent in one operation after being wiped down in a water-ammonia solution. First one side was pieced in and let dry, then the other.
DSCF2309.JPG
DSCF2310.JPG
After the hull itself was completed it was time to move on to the bow deck and the turtledeck. Both pieces have been temporarily pinned in place on the hull so I can align the formers and ensure an accurate fit. It turned out that all formers aft of station 3 were 1/8" shorter than the profile I was aligning them to. Rather than re-cut them all I added a 1/8" stringer to the bottoms of all of them which will be trimmed to match the hull before sheeting. This has the added benefits of strengthening my framework and giving me a surface to glue the sheeting to at the lower edge of the turtledeck.
I believe I will make the deck surfaces removable to allow me access to the model's interior once finished. I am a big fan of dis-assemblibility. (I made that word up.) I may have to strip-plank the upper surfaces to form the complex shapes involved, but I'll try a paper pattern first to see if sheeting is possible.
More to follow soon.

Tench745

Master member
A brief update: I have no idea what I'm doing.

I managed to get the turtledeck and bow deck sheeted. The bow was done in four pieces, the turtledeck had two pieces for the basic deck, but the bubble bit had to be strip planked.
DSCF2311.JPG
I have never strip planked before, and let me tell you, using Titebond makes it an exercise in patience. You eyeball, you amonia soak, you bend, you trim, you glue, you pin, and then you wait. The first two or three rows of planks took about three days. I had to go on one plank at a time because of the curves they had to conform to, and I only have so many pins/clamps. Usually I would do a plank in the morning and a plank before bed. Maybe one mid-day if I wasn't busy. After the first few rows I could do both sides at once, and the last three rows I was able to do in one go the curves smoothed out.
DSCF2313.JPG
I managed to devise a tail boom which is temporarily fitted in place, and mocked up a wing pylon to see what I wanted to do with it. The sheeting on one side of the pylon has been left off for now. And there ends the bits of the build I have figured out.
DSCF2314.JPG

Okay, with that out of the way I can explain my dilemma.

I am a big fan of scale, so by choosing an airplane I have never seen from more than a hundred feet away I started off at a disadvantage. I decided to build in 1:12 scale, making the wingspan only slightly larger than 33". Add onto that trying to cram in retractable gear, flaps, ailerons, elevator, rudder and a removable wing and you get some idea of the challenge I've given myself. Have I mentioned I've never built a balsa plane for RC before?

The problems I am running into are these:
I don't want to add any more weight or complexity than I have to. I want one servo for the ailerons, one for the flaps. I want my wing removable. I want the gear to appear to operate like those of the prototype but on only one servo. I don't know how to tie in the pylon to the main structure of the hull or turtledeck.
The pylon (to look scale) is about 1/4" wide, ie not enough room to route wires internally and external wires ruin the scale appearance.

Solutions I think I have devised:
I'll have a servo mounted in the hull with and extension running up to the center section. This extension will run two flex-cable pushrods for the ailerons. Somewhere between servo and center section I will have to devise a disconnect for the linkage to allow the wing to be removed.
Flaps, I don't have a solution for, yet.
I think I will rebuild the pylon with identical structure to the one above, but substituting 1/16" ply for the sides instead of balsa. the 1/8" ply piece of the center section will slip down between the ply sides and be secured with pins of some sort. (Perhaps just use the balsa one I have and glass it when I do the hull....? Hmm...) I'm still not sure how to tie the pylon into the turtledeck, but I'm thinking pins or dowels and epoxy will be strong enough.
I have no solution for the wire problem.

I knew I bit off more than I could chew when I started. We'll see how it goes.

DSCF2315.JPG

Tench745

Master member
Some more progress. Wings, ailerons, flaps, V.-stab and H.-stab are covered. I'm waiting on covering the rudder and elevator until I figure out where the control horns go. I'm waiting to locate the control horns until I get the servos in, which was waiting until it's glassed. Everything is glassed now and the wing halves are epoxied to the center section. A pair of pins holds the center section into the now-glassed pylon.
Last picture is of the wingtip floats. These suckers are a lot bigger than I thought they would be, but the two together only weigh 9g after glass.

DSCF2319.JPG
DSCF2320.JPG
DSCF2321.JPG
DSCF2322.JPG
DSCF2323.JPG
DSCF2324.JPG

Last edited:

Tench745

Master member
I'm getting tired of looking at this stalled build, so I've been thinking hard about what it will require to finish it. I'm rethinking my power systems and servo choices. Originally I was going to go with HXT500 5g servos and a 1400kv 2820 brushless motor (or something like that.) Model weight as it sits with no electronics, no paint, no canopy, no struts, and no landing gear is just a hair under 6oz. I'm wondering if it wouldn't be smarter to try using the UMX style linear servos, receiver and geared motor. A pair of linear servos in the wings would save me some weight and complexity of the odd pushrod setup I've ginned up for now. Of course, to change them uncovering the wing would be required. Thoughts, anyone?