Scale Build-Off - Scratchbuilt 62" BF109 E-3

Tench745

Master member
Hey, I loved your build, but I can't figure out how you held the wings in. Obviously you did a pair of square spars in tubes, but is there any retaining pins or anything to keep them from shifting in flight? I'm collecting ideas on how to put undercambered wings on my 52" Jenny build.

JohnRambozo

Posted a thousand or more times
I thought I was commenting on the 62" BF109.....I don't recall anything said about flying it indoors.

Regardless, I haven't concerned myself with weight (within reason) on any of my builds because I'm usually adding gussets or big glue fillets for durability. I also iron all the leading and trailing edges to the desired knife (trailing)or radius (leading) then seal them with a urethane similar to deft. The edges of my wings are plenty tough to ding up now. Keeps moisture out too. I got away from brushing on sealer (minwax) coats because of too much warping....Hard to keep it from getting too wet with a brush. I use lite coats of enamel base coat until it's covered, then move on the style lines or what have you. BTW, the same urethane sealer works perfectly with fiberglass mat and has no stink to piss off the wife! I reinforced my elevons on my RV Jet and theyre still feather light but mega stiff for radical dive pull-out performance! The stock elevons were way too floppy! I suppose I should post some pics of all my little tricks so it's clear what I'm using and doing.....Add that to my list....

Here's my entry for the Scale Build-Off contest. It is a scratchbuilt BF109 E-3 with a 62" wingspan. First off, I have already started this build and covered the plane, but that was after the contest started (I started the build on Feb 7th 2015).

So, why did I build it? Ultimately, the plane was/is being built to fly at the NEF indoor event in Akron OH which was March 21-23;

I just go by what I read. joker said it was built to fly indoors and the photos and video were taken indoors. ;)

I like your ironed edges, mrwzrd59. Very smooth looking.

joker24458

Hey, I loved your build, but I can't figure out how you held the wings in. Obviously you did a pair of square spars in tubes, but is there any retaining pins or anything to keep them from shifting in flight? I'm collecting ideas on how to put undercambered wings on my 52" Jenny build.

The wings are held in mainly by friction. Before painting the spars, there was already enough friction to keep the wings in fine. However, after painting the spars, I found that there was even more friction, making it more secure. To be extra safe I put six building pins diagonally though the root rib of each wing into the mating rib at the fuselage. If you do this, make sure you put the pins in diagonally or it won't work properly.

Also, keep in mind that the BF109 was insanely slow, so it didn't need a whole lot to keep the wings on. Depending on how fast your Jenny flies/how hard you fly it, you may need a different solution.

Good luck! :)

Tench745

Master member
Thanks for the tips. I've decided to go with a non-removable wing for now. No idea how she handles yet.
Watching the 109 fly was fantastic.

joker24458

Thanks for the tips. I've decided to go with a non-removable wing for now. No idea how she handles yet.
Watching the 109 fly was fantastic.

Non-removable wings should be fine, as long as you can still easily transport.

What should I build for next year's NEF? I've been playing around with the idea of an 8ft WS P-38.....thoughts? :D

mrwzrd59

Old Guy Geek
Yes, Indoors I see....Indeed! Hmmmm. (say it with a yoda accent)

Yea, If I had just went back and read all the posts id have seen that he was heading to an indoor meet. Just got lazy and posted what was on my mind. A 62 inch ME109 sounds like a handful indoors though!

I promise to read before I post....I promise to read before I post....I.....

Really nice plane though!

joker24458

Yea, If I had just went back and read all the posts id have seen that he was heading to an indoor meet. Just got lazy and posted what was on my mind. A 62 inch ME109 sounds like a handful indoors though!

I promise to read before I post....I promise to read before I post....I.....

Really nice plane though!

Thanks. :) But the 109 being a handful indoors? It's just about the slowest and most docile plane I have in my fleet. It is ridiculously easy to fly indoors, pretty much hands off all the time.

Not many people know this but by the end of the day on Sunday (at NEF) I strapped my FPV setup onto the 109 and flew it around FPV (with spotters though). :D

-Andres

Tench745

Master member
If you can do the 109, you can do a p-38. Where's the fun in building if there isn't a little challenge here and there?

joker24458

If you can do the 109, you can do a p-38. Where's the fun in building if there isn't a little challenge here and there?

Very true. I was considering an 8ft B-25 as well.....but I guess the P-38 can dogfight the BF109 (they are roughly the same scale if I build the P-38 at 8ft ws).

Howard

Just Joined The Forum

I HAD to join! I was rummaging around the net, looking for indoor flying information when I came across the incredible You Tube accounting of the indoor flights of the p-38 and Messerschmitt 109. I was mesmerized. I fly RC Helis, or did until I moved to Indiana from Colorado in Winter of 1995. I have a couple of 62" fiberglass bodies that I want to convert from .60 nitro to electric. One a Bell 222 and the other a Long Ranger.

However, FIRST I want to make the "same" 109 that I see in this thread. I left a private message to joker24458 about this - I wasn't sure yet how to tackle a message on the forum but now I know - DUH!

I found drawings for sale for a 78" wingspan 109 on Ebay. My question in the private message was simple - will that drawing set/size be OK to use as compared to the 62" wingspan? Yes, I know about the physical size but the ability
to perform the slow flight - that's uppermost in my mind at the moment. It's the slow flight characteristics that I am
looking to repeat. I'm not a frequent plan flyer as such but that You Tube video threw me over the edge.

I've gone over the thread pictures again and again these past few days. You tube video too. I'm 72 as of this past
June, but I'm convinced I can replicate the same results (well, with some variations too) if I take my time, get the
same dollar tree boards, etc etc. I THINK there's enough information from what I see to give me the motivation to
charge forward. I mention the age because I think I still have enough time to complete the project <GRIN>.

So, this is my "Hello" and introduction to the group, in particular to joker24458. it was Flite Test and You Tube that
cause me to linger. Interesting videos and then - I saw Andres and Northeast Electric Fun Fly (NEFF). My word!

Thanks for the space,

Howard
Richmond, IN

joker24458

Hi Howard, first of all welcome to the forums! Glad to see that I have inspired someone to build big and scale and slow. :D Sent you back a PM but also wanted to post the info here so others can see if they want to do the same/similar thing.

The slow flight characteristics is achieved mostly with a low wing loading. Remember, don't add weight, add lightness. Also, an undercambered airfoil (or half of wing undercambered) will really help to slow the plane down as it creates a lot of lift at slow speeds, as well as adding drag.

You should definitely be able to use the 78" plans for this kind of build, but you will need slightly larger components (slightly bigger motor, bigger servos, normal 9g servos should do the job well).

Best of luck to you on the build and let us know how it goes! It would be great to see both of our 109's together at NEF and possibly fly them in formation. Also feel free to ask any questions you have in the future and I will try my best to help you out! :)