Scale foam board building tips

GingerFly

Hey Y'all, I'm currently building the FT mighty mini corsair (version 2) and am trying to make it look as scale as I can. Do any of y'all have some tips for smoothing seams, filling in gaps, or just adding scale details on foam board builds?

I've attached below my build in its current state.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• corsair.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Phin G

Elite member
@Rasterize has some beautiful skins, i dont know if he has some skins for the mm corsair, for scale detail, @leaded50 if your man, he makes insanely looking scale planes out of foam in the same style as mm corsair/ master series. if you have any quires then these 2 people are the go to people for looks (of planes :p)

sorry if i have missed anyone.

edit: rasterize has got plans for the mm corsair.

Rasterize

Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor
If you are already in process of the build, then spackle/paint is the way to go. Decals are your first step in adding detail Either print them on paper, cut and glue or, better yet, use a Silhouette Cameo (or similar) cutter and adhesive vinyl for a professional look. I also like using a silver Sharpie (fine tip) to add exposed metal from paint chipping. Using toothpicks and coffee straws for antennas and guns is also a nice touch. Skins are nice, but you would have to start the build over. I would never skin an already built plane. Only flat foam. My skins for Boyingtons #86 mm Corsair are here and can also be used for reference/scale.

Rasterize

Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor
Scaled FT MM Corsair V1 US Insignia in two flavors.

Attachments

• US Insignia FT MM Corasir V1.pdf
    368.2 KB · Views: 0

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
If you are wanting to paint on the foam do all your filling with the Spackle brand "Dry Dex" synthetic stuff. Its less prone to cracking and bonds well to both paper and foam of the Readiboard. Once you have it shaped and sanded take a paint brush and coat it with white Gorilla wood glue. It soaks in and makes the Spackle more flexible almost rubbery.

After that sand lightly prime it with Krylon sanding primer by dusting the primer on in several coats until it is soild colored. Sand that and then have at it with what ever paint you want to use.

Here's the primered state

IMG_0288.JPG

here is the finished state.

IMG_0295.JPG

And you cant even tell the fuselage is in two sections grafted together. Nor see seams where the turtle deck meets the fuselage

Fuse halves.jpg

kilroy07

Legendary member
I have had some success using Gorilla white glue (the stuff that foams.)
LIGHTLY wet the area then pour in some glue THEN cover with a strip of painters tape.
The glue foams, expands to fill the gap, and (hopefully) make a nice smooth surface against the tape, which should be easy to pull off after a couple hours to let the glue dry (overnight is even better.)

Another tip (my favorite in fact) is to iron the edges of the foamboard.
It'll add strength and make everything look cleaner.
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/ragged-foamboard-edges-iron-them.58075/

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Great work! Here’s my process for making a scale build. First, I build the plane, and take as much time as I need making sure to be gentle as to get as few wrinkles as possible. As others mentioned, the iron trick is a fantastic way to help add scale detail and rigidity without adding any extra weight. Then I use lightweight drywall filler. I often do one layer, do a rough sanding, then repeat the process using finer sandpaper. I do this as many times as I need (sometimes 5-10 times on really finicky builds). After that, I do several coats of minwax (oil based polyurethane.) Then you have a fantastic surface for painting, then adding decals.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
Great work! Here’s my process for making a scale build. First, I build the plane, and take as much time as I need making sure to be gentle as to get as few wrinkles as possible. As others mentioned, the iron trick is a fantastic way to help add scale detail and rigidity without adding any extra weight. Then I use lightweight drywall filler. I often do one layer, do a rough sanding, then repeat the process using finer sandpaper. I do this as many times as I need (sometimes 5-10 times on really finicky builds). After that, I do several coats of minwax (oil based polyurethane.) Then you have a fantastic surface for painting, then adding decals.
no wonder your planes always look magnificent :cool::p

GingerFly

I have had some success using Gorilla white glue (the stuff that foams.)
LIGHTLY wet the area then pour in some glue THEN cover with a strip of painters tape.
The glue foams, expands to fill the gap, and (hopefully) make a nice smooth surface against the tape, which should be easy to pull off after a couple hours to let the glue dry (overnight is even better.)

Another tip (my favorite in fact) is to iron the edges of the foamboard.
It'll add strength and make everything look cleaner.
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/ragged-foamboard-edges-iron-them.58075/

Is the gorilla glue sandable when dry? also, how heavy is it?

kilroy07

Legendary member
Is the gorilla glue sandable when dry? also, how heavy is it?
Since it foams it is quite light. I've even built FT models with it instead of hot glue, only downside is it takes at least an hour to cure/dry.
It needs moisture to cure so I usually have a Q-Tip swab and just lightly wet the surface. before applying the glue.

You can sand it but go with a high grit (fine) or you will pull chunks out... (ask how I know...) :rolleyes:

Here's the stuff you are looking for;
IMG_1645[1].JPG

GingerFly

Well, it happens to us all and it seems like it happens to me a little more than usual, but I crashed... I was able to fix it, so it flies again, but the fuselage has some pretty bad wrinkles and a few minor wrinkles on the wings. any tips on how to fix them? would I just use the spackle to fill it in? or am I just stuck with them?

(pictures are before and after I fixed it)

Attachments

• IMG_3657 (1).jpg
    IMG_3657 (1).jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3667.jpg
    IMG_3667.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited: