Scale Foam Scratch Build: Inspired by David, For teaching everyone

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Lugged a little again tonight. Last night all I could do is get the other elevator ready for hinging. Since I could not find the hinges I called it quits to just let the glue dry. Tonight I've covered both sides of the elevators with tissue and WBPU and I cleaned up the shop a bit. It may not look like it but this is much improved. I've got 4 other planes not in that picture. So tomorrow will be a bit more elevator prep. I'll try to primer fill them a bit before I affix them permanently. Hinges can also go in. In hind sight putting the main hinge in was a bad idea because I need it out to put the elevators in first. That may have to be re-done but its minor.

Attachments

• Shop.JPG
    Shop.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 25
  • Elevator.JPG
    Elevator.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 23

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Well, the 3-day weekend did not yield much on this project. I did housework all day on Saturday. Fixed two printers, mowed, cleaned, and a number of other things. Yesterday I did get work done on the elevator. I've got the two sides in and they are working properly. I did end up removing the center control piece to glue in again. No way around that but again it was minor. I spackled and sanded the gap flush and its ready for some WBPU to harden it up and a light coat of primer. Then its ready for install with its control rod. It will look very nice with the internal linkage.

I also got my markings on the gear covers for cutting. I cut out the wheel opening. I'll be melting out the foam with acetone. I want to glue it in place before I cut everything lose. The hinge on the front needs to be very exact and its the best way to do it. It will also ensure proper alignment as well.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Ok, so here's the latest. I've been SUPER busy and have not done a single thing on this project. 1: Work has been crazy (long hours) 2: I'm nearly complete a kitchen remodel I started Labor Day weekend.

Its more building season anyway since the temps are cooler in the garage. I did have to use my work bench for the kitchen project which led me to look over the fuselage. Unfortunately I did not construct it fast enough. There is a slight bend in the fuselage that I know was not there. It will require a bit of heat from a heat gun to correct but it is not major. This is one of the inherent problems working with foam in a warm garage in the summer.

So, I still have about 40% of my kitchen project to do for the wife and about 80% of that will be done this weekend. Give me a couple more weeks and I'll be back on this.

Looking forward to it! I have to admit, I am more comfortable trying to get something out of balsa than foam.... But very little experience sculpting foam. Seeing some of the things built on the various forums, I might have to give it a whirl.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
You should! The best part is the learning curve. Its much faster than building with balsa and if you screw up it a snap to do it again. Not to mention you dont care because its foam... stupid cheap building and builds a lot faster so you feel better about only spending 30 minutes or so a night.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Ok, the last push on the kitchen is complete and minor things are left to do which will free up my time to complete this project. I have until spring as I would like to have this done before David leaves the country. I've made an order for some glass cloth to cover the wings and fuselage. I've spent a little time doing some prep work for my next project... it will be BIG. My biggest plane yet. It should be IMAA legal and haul the mail. It will also be my first multi-engine aircraft. It will have some VERY unique features least of all will be 3 receivers. So, stay tuned.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Well, yes there is. I had to scramble to get something together for our club's annual turkey fry and fly this past weekend. With that now out of the way I am cleaning shop to get the build table back! The leftover junk from the kitchen project will be out this week and that will help a lot. I'm making progress back to the build!

Thanks for tuning in!

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Thanks guys. Its motivation! Back-tracking a little here... I decided to not go with the aforementioned project as my next build. I'm going to stick with my Swedish interests. I've got plans enlarged... and I mean ENLARGED. Got the plans from another RCGrouper from Sweden. Plans are 1:13.33 but I scaled them up to 1/6 or so. Planning on a bungee launch for simplicity as the landing gear are not traditional. The subject is the FFVS J-22 Fighter. A couple years ago there was a website devoted to its history and significance and outlined the aerodynamic superiority of it. It was run through CFD analysis and data showed that it was the fastest plane by power class in the world. Had a larger engine been available it would had rivaled the P-51 and FW-190 in performance. What was amazing was the plywood covering and how it was secured. Custom bolting brackets were made to make it stringer and more durable for high-speed. Its really an amazing machine given the limited materials available and limited experience in design by Bo Lundberg.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Ok, So I spent a lot of time this weekend cleaning up the shop and getting ready for digging in again. I managed to catch up on my current fleet repairs for the most part. My combat foamy is ready to be tried again. My funder and lightning flies well again. My 6-ft span L-4 had a new cowl come in the mail and I've nearly got the prep work done. My dauntless has been patched up nicely and requires some minor painting to complete. The bench is mostly cleaned up with hardware put away. Scrapped a plane (polaris with about 200+ flights) and got some hardware and a servo from it. Tools in their correct spots. I picked up a new container of spackle. Glass cloth is ready and I've got the week of thanksgiving off. Actual build updates to come!

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Ok, the week has arrived. I'll put up some pictures later. Kids only had 1/2 day of school today so I tried to rush and get done as much as possible.

I got the fuselage fixed of all her hangar rash from being thrown all over the bench for the last couple months. I also straightened the aft end out. Hair dryer worked great. I cut out a wing panel! Easy peasy. Cut the channel out of the center wing section and glued in the spar. The best part about the fiberwood spar is that is cuts fairly well with my old tin snips. I tapered the spar for the outer panel and cut it to the appropriate length. Outer panel is now drying. I'll have to sand and do the spackle filling as well.

Again, pics to follow later.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Pics as promised. While I went out to get these pics I put on the spackle over the spar areas on the wings.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    633.9 KB · Views: 21
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    622.9 KB · Views: 23