scaled down versa

Badgerhopper

hey everyone. i just wanted to know if anyone has tried doing a scaled down versa wing. i was thinking maybe like 60%. i dont want to spend the money on new electronics such as motor and esc and all i have is the small 24 gram motor for my ft flyer. im worried that a full scale versa will be to heavy and big for the small motor so i wanted to make a smaller versa. let me know if anyone has done this or if its a good idea at all. thanks

rfander

It is do-able. I tried it a while back and failed miserably because my set-up had too much torque and would cause an uncontrollable roll. Unless you are using a low pitch propeller or a small diameter propeller, you might have a hard time getting it to fly. However, admittedly I did not try very long or hard on getting it to fly after about three crashes.

This guy had a little bit of success: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfVZv_CQ9rY

bgfireguy92

Dude I flew my first versa on a blue wonder 24g motor with a 8x4 prop in pusher mode no problem. No it's no speed demon and motor was a LITTLE warm but no problems. I do still lie the idea of a mini versa though.

ScottyWarpNine

Mostly Harmless
I built and 80% versa that flew great! That was my goto plane for quite a while. I have a video of it flying Here.

I remember the prop was so unbalanced that it sounded like a glow engine. An older guy came out to watch me fly just as I had broken my last prop and had to call it a day.

Last edited:

Badgerhopper

im planning on doing mine as a tractor style using the ft flyers power pod, will it be too long for an 80% versa? i wouldnt want it sticking out the back of the plane.