Scaled up Simple Scout Advice

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
This is a really cool project! I can't wait to see what you come up with - be sure to keep us posted on your progress. I would add a little reinforcement like a bbq skewer to the tail for reinforcement like they have on the sportster. Other than that It should be super simple!
Good luck and have fun!

qwijibo

Yeah, I was thinking some paint-stirring sticks to strengthen up the wing spar, skewers to the tail would be a good idea as well. I'll also have to come up with a removable wing, otherwise I'll never get it anywhere! ;) It'll be my first thick foam/big build (biggest so far is a Guinea Pig), so I figured I'd stick with a simple design, and the Simple Scout is a great flyer and pretty dead simple to build.

I don't have the foam or figured out what motor/prop/battery I'll need yet, so it's a bit of a "long-term" project. My goal, if it's successful (big if), is to bring it to FliteFest this year. When I do get the ball rolling on this, I'll post the progress here.

mach1 rc

Master member
Yeah, I was thinking some paint-stirring sticks to strengthen up the wing spar, skewers to the tail would be a good idea as well. I'll also have to come up with a removable wing, otherwise I'll never get it anywhere! ;) It'll be my first thick foam/big build (biggest so far is a Guinea Pig), so I figured I'd stick with a simple design, and the Simple Scout is a great flyer and pretty dead simple to build.

I don't have the foam or figured out what motor/prop/battery I'll need yet, so it's a bit of a "long-term" project. My goal, if it's successful (big if), is to bring it to FliteFest this year. When I do get the ball rolling on this, I'll post the progress here.
Can't wait for the finished result😃😃 a big plane like that would be great in combat🛩💥

mach1 rc

Master member
Combat is 1/2 the reason I go to FliteFest every year! Doesn't matter what I have left flying, SOMETHING is being sent up for every combat session!
I think I would make an extra big plane just to see how long it will last😄💥💥💥💥💥💥💥😕

Hoomi

Master member
I've thought about making an enlarged Simple Scout as well (should it be called an Eagle Scout?). I think I was looking at taking it up to about a 60" wingspan (160% enlargement), and I think at that size, the standard foamboard will still work. That's right up there with the Storch for wingspan, so it should be fine with some decent spar material, while still remaining small enough to easily transport.

I'm definitely going to watch this thread, because I'm really looking forward to seeing how yours turns out!

qwijibo

Well, you guys inspired me to stop procrastinating! I just ordered the foam, and once it's here I'll scale/print the plans and see how it goes.

Who knows...this project may work great or it may fail, but I guess that's 1/2 the fun. You give stuff a try. If it all goes south, just chalk it up to lessons learned and move on to the next project. :)

I may take this approach for the removable wing -> https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/simple-scout-removable-wing-modification.59597/