Scaling Swappable Mustang 140%, my first attempt at scaling.....thoughts, suggestions, 2 cents?

LundiThembi

Nice job finishing the P-51 congratulations. What is your secret to having the poster board lay flat along the fuselage sides? Your finished product is exceptional.
Thank you.

I've been flying for a little over a year, now that every session doesn't end with a crash I'm willing to put a little more time into finishing the model. I scratch build and use a slightly thicker card stock than comes with their kits. I'll add one or two extra formers to strengthen the turtle deck to help prevent crushing. I cut the card stock to shape and wet both sides lightly using a spray bottle. I look for a mailing tube or tape some tin cans together that are the approximate diameter of the shape, lightly rubber band to card stock around the cans and let it completely dry. It holds the shape and makes attaching much easier, not fighting the card stock, wrinkling , etc. I use a very thin amount of white glue or hot glue and lightly tape in place. Too much hot glue prevents a tighter fit. I use a thin layer of DAP with a putty knife to blend...

Screen Shot 2022-08-05 at 8.11.56 AM.png

It is pretty soft and sands easily and quickly, sometimes a super light coat of Minwax to prevent it from cracking. I know I'm adding weight, not that much. Since I'm a beginner/intermediate flier, I don't have the sense of the feeling the extra bit of weight that and an advanced flier might recognize. Here is my Spitfire...

Screen Shot 2022-08-05 at 8.12.23 AM.png

I don't make mine swappable anymore and I quit using the FT type pf battery hatch as they always rip off...

Screen Shot 2022-08-05 at 8.21.12 AM.png

That's about it. I'm always looking for ways to make them more durable without overbuilding them. I have bent so many rudders and elevators taking them in and out of my car! I now embed a skewer into the surfaces to strengthen, Please let me know of any other tricks, thanks!

Yankee2003

Thank you.

I've been flying for a little over a year, now that every session doesn't end with a crash I'm willing to put a little more time into finishing the model. I scratch build and use a slightly thicker card stock than comes with their kits. I'll add one or two extra formers to strengthen the turtle deck to help prevent crushing. I cut the card stock to shape and wet both sides lightly using a spray bottle. I look for a mailing tube or tape some tin cans together that are the approximate diameter of the shape, lightly rubber band to card stock around the cans and let it completely dry. It holds the shape and makes attaching much easier, not fighting the card stock, wrinkling , etc. I use a very thin amount of white glue or hot glue and lightly tape in place. Too much hot glue prevents a tighter fit. I use a thin layer of DAP with a putty knife to blend...

View attachment 229089

It is pretty soft and sands easily and quickly, sometimes a super light coat of Minwax to prevent it from cracking. I know I'm adding weight, not that much. Since I'm a beginner/intermediate flier, I don't have the sense of the feeling the extra bit of weight that and an advanced flier might recognize. Here is my Spitfire...

View attachment 229090

I don't make mine swappable anymore and I quit using the FT type pf battery hatch as they always rip off...

View attachment 229091

That's about it. I'm always looking for ways to make them more durable without overbuilding them. I have bent so many rudders and elevators taking them in and out of my car! I now embed a skewer into the surfaces to strengthen, Please let me know of any other tricks, thanks!

Thank you for sharing your ideas. I am currently scratch building an FT Spitfire so I am anxious to try this out. I must agree with you that the plans are good….but a little improving can make a huge difference.
I am using the wire from yard flags embedded in my tail surfaces…thinner than bbq skewers but not sure about how it compares in weight. First time I am trying this, I am hopeful that it will add quite a bit of rigidity to reduce/eliminate warping and sag.
Not my idea. It was one I picked up from the Aviation RC Noob discord.
3F520635-8C6D-4B8B-A4CA-890F97960F66.jpeg F92265B7-7AA4-4DAE-9E9C-81DB8244D18E.jpeg
Could end up being a mistake. But worth the effort on these lesser builds to learn a possible solution.
I hope to get my builds on par of what you are putting out. Well done.
Thanks again for the quick and thorough response.

LundiThembi

Thank you for sharing your ideas. I am currently scratch building an FT Spitfire so I am anxious to try this out. I must agree with you that the plans are good….but a little improving can make a huge difference.
I am using the wire from yard flags embedded in my tail surfaces…thinner than bbq skewers but not sure about how it compares in weight. First time I am trying this, I am hopeful that it will add quite a bit of rigidity to reduce/eliminate warping and sag.
Not my idea. It was one I picked up from the Aviation RC Noob discord.
View attachment 229093 View attachment 229094
Could end up being a mistake. But worth the effort on these lesser builds to learn a possible solution.
I hope to get my builds on par of what you are putting out. Well done.
Thanks again for the quick and thorough response.
My pleasure, happy to share...many others here have helped out a ton! What you did looks good. Under the wing tips I inlay skewers from the tip to about 2" past the bottom fold, it really helps to keep them from being bent. One idea I got from another builder was to use 2 - 3mm carbon fiber rods along the leading edge (if it is straight like the Bushwacker), wing will last a long, long time...

Screen Shot 2022-08-05 at 10.56.04 AM.png

If you haven't built the wing, reinforce the spare with some 1/8" plywood or something similar. I've had a bout 20 flights out of my Spitfire, fly it hard and the wing started flexing where the two halves join (same thing happened to my swappable Mustang). I just cut a grove and glued it in after the fact, worked per perfectly. Other thing was my Spitfire was very tail heavy, added 7 oz of weight to the nose, flies beautifully. Have fun!

Yankee2003

My pleasure, happy to share...many others here have helped out a ton! What you did looks good. Under the wing tips I inlay skewers from the tip to about 2" past the bottom fold, it really helps to keep them from being bent. One idea I got from another builder was to use 2 - 3mm carbon fiber rods along the leading edge (if it is straight like the Bushwacker), wing will last a long, long time...

View attachment 229096

If you haven't built the wing, reinforce the spare with some 1/8" plywood or something similar. I've had a bout 20 flights out of my Spitfire, fly it hard and the wing started flexing where the two halves join (same thing happened to my swappable Mustang). I just cut a grove and glued it in after the fact, worked per perfectly. Other thing was my Spitfire was very tail heavy, added 7 oz of weight to the nose, flies beautifully. Have fun!

Awesome ideas I really appreciate your time. My Spitfire wing is already in.…so 20 flights it is. I will be sure to savor them knowing I am working against the clock..😏.
Also, adding metal rods to a tail heavy bird….I know I have some lead weights for the nose around here somewhere…..
Again, you have been very helpful, I have enjoyed talking with you and getting a few pointers as well.

LundiThembi

Awesome ideas I really appreciate your time. My Spitfire wing is already in.…so 20 flights it is. I will be sure to savor them knowing I am working against the clock..😏.
Also, adding metal rods to a tail heavy bird….I know I have some lead weights for the nose around here somewhere…..
Again, you have been very helpful, I have enjoyed talking with you and getting a few pointers as well.
You'll get more than 20 out of it! This doesn't look pretty but it did the job...

Screen Shot 2022-08-05 at 12.24.04 PM.png

LundiThembi

Maiden flight yesterday, two clicks of trim on the elevator, moved the battery 1/4" toward the rear, flew beautifully. Climbed fast, maximum cruising speed not quite as fast as I want. Using the XL Scout Power pack with a 12x4.5 prop, I'll experiment with a 12x6...thoughts on that?

Screen Shot 2022-08-09 at 7.51.23 AM.png

LundiThembi

Update.

Flew solid, stable right out of the gate. Flying with the 12x4.5 was ok, a bit slow and lumbering. The 12x6 prop helped. But.....I did have enough air flow over the ESC and it over heated. Lost power and control twice. Next build I will mount it beneath the power pod for maximum air flow.

I will rebuild at 130% (52" rather than 56" wingspan) scaled up with same power pack, I think that will give it a bit more zip.