Sci-Fi Cylinder Pusher - Should I Attempt Such an Undertaking?

smithhayward

Large Child
It's so funny (and awesome) that you bring that up because I was messing around with props the other day and said to myself that I need to research how those counter rotating systems work. I assume that in exchange for eliminating the roll you lose some power/thrust.

I'll add this to the list...

ProfessorFate

Go Chuck test it over a field or yard with tall grass 4 soft landings

You know, it's gonna be tough getting much bottom pull to hold the craft upright if it has to go inside that inner fuse cylinder, you don't have much to work with but might be nice to get all you can by putting everything that has weight like the battery as low as possible, like on the inside bottom of the wing at CG

One thing that just may pull the nose downward is if your bottom airfoils are fatter than your top lifting airfoils, a difference in resistance will pull you down

In the final model, maybe you could make the lifting foils from 9 to 3oclock?

You could also stretch the length of the canards and aft stabilizers to help control, I did not see a side view so I don't know really what length they are like you do

What would produce less torque roll from the power system? I think I would throttle up as hi as you like it before you release it, that would counter startup torque roll,
and, try this,

I think that the lighter thinner props like gws hd/dd/ep ( not their slow fly stuff ) would produce Less torque roll effects than a heavier APC "e" prop. Course this also depends what motor/batt you will drive it with. GWS props have lower "safe" rpm limits: from DR Kiwi @ RCGroups sugg limit 100,000/prop dia in inches: 9"hd=11,111 10"hd=10,000 11"hd=909 12"=833
GWS 9x5 thrust chart all motors hiDPM d 1.jpg GWS 9x5 thrust chart with motors.jpg
Goto flybrushless use their "find a prop" function, it's full of prop test data ie: thrust with that prop at a certain rpm
also very useful is to work with "find a motor", you will notice that Dr Kiwi is the major contributor, and his data is probably the best, most reliable, best organized
See from above how much you can get from a gws 9x5 at about 11,600rpm?
What size prop do you want to use, what's the ID of the wing?

Now here's another way you could work too, just goto a site has some motor test data, the ones I like so far are on innov8tive.com and scorpion.com and customer statements like nerdnics on altitudehobbies.com about like Suppo A class motors, but a lot of the comments are not real exact like the prop tests, and over time I have figured out some prop equivalents even for stuff that's not listed that I can infer. Here's one of my fav gen purpose motors, Cobra 2820/10/1170kv and a motor Nerdnic likes at altitude hobbies Suppo 1400kv motor and if you want real mondo thrust he likes the Tacon Bigfoot 10 with apc 10x10prop, from motion hobbypartz for $28 5turns makes it use a lot of current on the Io test 2.7A at 7.4volts! my Cobra 1170kv is 10 turn and the Io = 1.6A and you'll get 58oz thrust with an apc 10x6e. Io just means the amount of current the motor consumes at a certain voltage without any prop connected, so that Bigfoot may make for shorter flight times. Look at the # of turns. This is very interesting, I like to rewind motors, IBCrazy commented (RCG) that "...you really have to fill Scorpions up with copper to get any performance out of them...", but, look at their efficiency (makes for better flight times). Now the difference of Bigfoot and Cobra 5T for 1100kv and 10T for 1170kv is puzzling and points out a difference in stator design or combination of that and magnet strength.

Cobra C-2820--10T--1170KV $43.jpg Suppo 2814--6--1400kv Park480  for $23 -- 2.jpg

Prop equivalents, you don't always see the prop you are interested in, listed on the test chart; you can begin to analyze the prop test data and compare between very similar props and figure it out, rpm--thrust--motor load or current

Dr Kiwi claimed the APC 10x5e was just about the same as the GWS 10x6dd/ep/hd and this is useful because innov8tive lists much more APC than anything else as does scorpion.com

APC 10x5e = GWS 10x6dd/ep/hd
APC9x4.5e = GWS 9x5 dd/hd/ep

I have found also similar inference APC9x4.5e = GWS 9x5 dd/hd/ep

Now I am starting to look at and compare the APC 2 blade and try to make similar useful inference toward the really nice looking MAS (Master Air Screw) props

The approximate correlation might be like take the APC 12x6e, load and thrust rpm might be similar to MAS 11x5x3... if MAS makes that prop

If not then work it from the end of what MAS makes: 8x6x3,9x7x3,10x5x3,10x7x3,11x7x3,11x8x3,12x6x3,12x8x3

So for approximation of 10x5x3MAS, look for tests of an APC 11x6 two blade prop (or 11x5.5?), see?

About the correlation of APC x2 to MAS x3, this is just a kind of un-refined less researched idea on my part, but I think it is just about right, but check it out on innov8tive motor test chart and see how the correlation works.

This WRX chart has updated prop limits for almost anything in major prop brands you would use

When I called Master Airscrew asking them about the prop limit data they said they were working on it and that their props are really for glo engines so their ratings as far as limits and durability far exceed APC limits, I could at least wangle this rough definition out of the MAS guys, I like their props, tough--flexy and the 3 blade props sure look good, but they are made to get your thrust from them at higher rpms and I think this is why some people criticize them regarding efficiency, because we are using props designed for glo on electric airplanes. No wonder they get such a bad undeserved reputation!

WRX w prop limits.jpg

If you start to have to look up and figure things out over and over again, make a chart like this one, print it out and tape it to the wall or the side of your pc, add other things as you go, like for this one I just keep on weighing RC components and building materials, I'm gonna remake this chart and add those to it along with other stuff... Cobra 2820/10/1170kv 3s 10x6apc = 57oz thrust. Beef2217/7t/1250kv3s gws9x5=42oz thr.

Thrust could be inferred like if somebody tested their Tacon Bigfoot 10/5turn/1100kv motor and gave rpm and power consumed on 3s and 4s with apc 10x10e, we could go look for some prop tests telling rpm and thrust then tell just what thrust you could get with this motor n prop

check flybrushless too

I really hope this works good!

Last edited:

smithhayward

Large Child
Again you've overloaded, me but I'll be able to get through it all tonight. All this prop/motor kv/power/amps/etc is quite a knowledge domain to tackle.

I already got the Suppo 1400kv you mentioned in a prior post because it output nearly 2x the power that my then largest motor could produce (515W vs 270W). I have 12x6, 11x7, 10x4.7's etc.

Here's my plan:
1. Run thrust tests on all of my motors with all of their REASONABLE propeller choices. (i.e. I don't care what the big 500+W suppo can do with a 5x5 or 6x4e)

2. Post my power/thrust findings

3. Discuss further

4. Research contra-rotation

EDIT: Here's some preliminary thrust data...

2212-6T 2200kv 28A/60s Max

with a 6x4e propeller
@1A --> 48g thrust @ 12W
@5.8A --> 202.7g thrust @ 71W
@10A --> 314g thrust @111.8W
@17A --> 496g thrust @196.3W
@24.4A yielding 681g of thrust using 280.6W (Full Throttle)

It's too late for any further testing - the 5x5 prop is super loud at 1/2 throttle so I'll wait until no one in the house is sleeping to continue. I wanted to test these motors first so I can decide on whether or not I want to try a dual or quad prop plane for the Build Off.

Last edited:

ProfessorFate

Been wanting to make a power pod, universal and from lite ply

Looked at your motor and tests, I have some suppo 2217/7t/1250kv for gws 9x5 on 3s good for about 42oz thrust
Suppo 2217/9t/950kv on 3s that EndofTheRoadRc says he uses with a MAS 10x8 prop on his Fokker D7 Biplane... wow
And my Cobra 2217/12t/1550kv I intended really to use with an ultra light plane on 2s but look at the prop chart listing apc 9x4.5e in the yellow for 3s ... that's about = to gws9x5dd this motor would spin that prop up hard to 11,600 and give me 50oz of thrust at 30amps ... the lim is 32amps, I could use this if I were careful with the throttle, they put a powerhouse of a motor in a small package it's 350watt limit versus the stated 222w lim of the 2217 suppo 1250kv beef motor

This is kind of similar to what you are testing except you are using a much smaller motor and prop

Suppo, Cobra, Scorpion and others list their motors by the stator size..... 2217: stator is 22mm diameter and is 17mm high, stator size is a good indicator of the power or size/power of your motor while shopping you also look at the gram weight of the motors, the Cobra is a 74g motor, suppo Beef motor is 70g

Beef motor $19 Altitude Hobbies w Dr Kiwi report  1.jpg Cobra 2217 -- 1550 kv 12T  $31.jpg
Now look at this Cobra 2814 1350kv motor
Cobra 2814 -- 1390 kv 12T  $38c.jpg
Cobra does not cost that much more and they sure seem well built, you might want to buy one, I'm also still interested in that Suppo 1400 all around this power range is the suppo 1400, the above Cobra, nerdnics rec of the Turnigy 35-30 1100kv they are the oddballs that list motors by physical can size rather than stator size like most others that sell good motors, nic said these are pretty good but the bearings don't last that long. Now Lucian at innov8tive say bearings hardly ever need to be replaced, this makes me think that the quality of Cobra bearings and stuff is much better, Lucian rec oiling the bearings every 5-10 hours of flight, Jack Erbes likes to use synthetic motor oil for your car, for his motors ( motor winding expert RCGroups ) as opposed to just leaving them dry and following that up Nerdnic later rec he now prefers the Tacon Bigfoot 10 1100kv use with 10x10, heard those Bigfoot motors have soft shafts, and they are 5mm, if you bend one, might buy a Cobra 5mm shaft and bearing set when you fix Bigfoot

Well being you got that nice Suppo 1400kv, I like that one, good choice, so your testing your motors.
Just as a note of confidence in your purchase of the Suppo, I often see Dr Kiwi and others post really good things about how smooth quiet and powerful they are. When I took apart a new 2217/9t/950kv to rewind it, I found 2 main bearings in one end for a total of 3 bearings in the motor, nice thoughtful construction.

"Well, now, who's the bull-goose loony 'round here?" JN

Leonard

Hey, I looked back at your 1st post pic of this plane and your canards look kind of small, even under scale of the artist's rendering and this might be something you wanted to have a bit on the large side as well as maybe stretching the aft stabs a bit, whatever would allow you to still keep the nice scale-ish appearance
*** Well I looked over it again, and there are lots of other pics with different views, maybe you got it exactly right... hope it does good, I really want to see this fly and I know it can and will.

In future purchases of motors, you might want to get larger more efficient ones for spinning 10 to 12 inch props on either 3s or .... 4s is even more efficient with a lower kv motor, look at those motors they drive those 1450mm foam warbirds with on NitroModels, they are like 650 to 900kv for 4s with 10 to 12 inch props and look at the weights, it's good having enough power you don't have to be overly concerned with weight and build materials.

I am wanting to look at getting maybe 150 - 200gram motors, feel I bought all the wrong stuff to start with, like some motor wind kits 2212 and 2215, granted they're Scorpion, but, that's kind of small

About a good mix of speed the Cobra 2820 1170kv with a 10x6 gives 57oz BUT ALSO at 57mph, a good amount of speed, but then if it's not a fast sleek warbird you would be flying, but a big slow draggy elephant, you would want the thrust more in the trade-off, larger blade, less pitch?

Last edited:

smithhayward

Large Child
I'll fast forward to the new Suppo 1400kv tonight and post my test results. I want to test all of my motors because I need to decide on a lot of craft/motor pairings, but I got the 1400 on your recommendation for this one. It's by far my most powerful of motors now. I think for purposes of thoroughness I'm going to see what ALL of my propellers do on this one (as long as I don't need to drastically modify a prop to get it to fit).

More info tonight.

Were you surprised at all that I got 500g of thrust from this thing at 17A? and nearly 700 at full throttle?

Edit: I had the video of this with the 5x3x3-blade on my phone. Here's what happened:

(Just before full throttle I got some bad vibrations causing crazy noise - I assume I'm spinning the prop too fast or it just hit some resonant rate of rotation)

Values rounded or truncated for simplicity

2.9A --> 98g @ 34W (appox 35%)
4.5A --> 141g @ 51W (approx 50%)
6.5A --> 200g @ 73W (80%)
7.6A --> 227g @ 85W (90%)
10A --> 247g @111W (99%)

So clearly this propeller is not very powerful at all, though at 5x3 I'm not sure what I expected. It does however run well within the ESC and Motor parameters. :p

Last edited:

smithhayward

Large Child
Quick Test:

Suppo 1400kv with 9x4.5e prop @50% throttle 580g @ 11.1A. I think we have a winner.

Edit: And a full 1kg of thrust at 72% throttle at 18A. Can't wait to try the 11" and 12" props...

Edit 2: And if you were wondering, the chuck-prototype (no power or anything) weighs in at 237g. If we assume that will double, plus battery and motor we're looking at around 740g AUW. Anyone wanna see this baby hover? LMAO!!!

Last edited:

ProfessorFate

Hi Smith, did a graph of your 2 test points amps to thrust, conservative wtih 9x4.5

1400kv suppo smith 2pt test oz to amps line 4 curve for 9x4.5.jpg

I was kind of wondering if, since Nerdnic tested this, but a power test only, but with an apc 9x6e, if you might also want to try this with a 9x6 too, you're at 72% throttle with 35.3oz thrust; I made a guess that this motor, from Nerdnics test should be well able to give 60 if not more like 68oz of thrust using an apc 9x6e prop.

Still, here's a graph.

A few days ago, I made up a really useful fine line graph for anything, take the blank into your paintshop, put the numbers and points you want, on it.

BLANK Graph paper Ten16s fine lines - Copy.jpg
The purpose of all that blank space is to allow you to make a really big circle in your paint shop to approximate the curve to fit the data points ( stretch the circle into an elipse or oval till it fits, and erase away what's not used ), after you're finished, you crop the picture down like you want to see it.

From many months ago, I have been wanting to be able to graph stuff and not take too much effort or time to do it but get good predictions from data points, I really like the layout of this one, it's easy for putting numbers and points on without breaking your brain on the fractions.

See also this one thing I noticed recently, these drawing/paint programs we use make unwanted pixel distortions when, say you copy the graph "inside" the paint shop, because it is re-rendered, but if you just make a copy using the operating system, you get an exact file copy without distortions. Still there is no avoiding generational copy distortion because you make a copy of the graph and put points on it, but a copy could be made and named for your purpose outside the psp then apply data to it and generational copy distortion is minimized.

I'm enjoying this..... want to see the 2217/7t/1340kv "Beef" motor graphed rpm/thrust?
Beef 2217--7 Turn 1340kv 70g Motor gws 9x5dd  Test Points Graf DrKiwi 1.jpg Beef 2217--7 Turn 1340kv 70g Motor gws 9x5dd  Test Points Graf DrKiwi 2 low curve.jpg

Last edited:

smithhayward

Large Child
Once I have all of my data I'm going to log it in Excel. From there I can just plot the points and overlay a best fit curve with a few clicks. If you send me comma separated value pairs for some of your stuff I can send you back graphs or you can download OpenOffice (google it) to get a free spreadsheet application.

I have a 9x6 as well as the 11x7 and 12x6. The 10x4.5s that I have are bored for the 935kv motors so if they don't fit a collet I already have I'll just leave them for a twin motor craft in the future. I kinda wanna try the Avatar gunship that the FT guys did and crashed a while back.

More data on Sunday...

Last edited:

smithhayward

Large Child
Suppo 2814/6 1400kv (Park 480 Equiv.) w/ 9x4.5 (APC?) Prop

Here's the data for the Suppo 1400kv with the 9x4.5 prop (it's a gray one with a thick hub, APC, right?)

Anyway...

Pct Throttle : Current : Power : Thrust
10 : 1.11A : 13W : 49g
20 : 2.79A : 33W : 176g
30 : 5.20A : 61W : 339g
40 : 7.50A : 88W : 452g
50 : 10.1A : 116W : 569g
60 : 12.7A : 144W : 697g
70 : 15.5A : 173W : 866g
80 : 20.5A : 225W : 1058g
90 : 26.4A : 282W : 1293g

I didn't get much more at full-throttle; According to the video I took of the measurements I maxed out at 1316.1g of thrust so maybe a fraction more power.

Here are the charts. Nearly 3lbs of thrust at 90%/full throttle.

Suppo 2814-6 1400kv 9x4.5APC.png

ProfessorFate

*** adding this, do you have some throttle limit pre-set on your radio, just wondering why you have a motor you're saying near WOT with a stiff APC 9x4.5 on 3s is only giving you 2.7# of thrust and really thinkin you should be getting 4# of thrust WOT????
11.1v X 1490kv X .77 = 12,735rpm 12,230rpm test list thrust of 55oz

You know something funny about your use of this heavier 100g Suppo? I don't know if you have a smallish ESC or Battery or you are shooting for duration on low power, but the smaller $19 70g Suppo 1250kv (1340kv tested & 22Amps max) "Beef" motor can give you 40oz of thrust with a gws 9x5ep maybe a little more, just like the test you make here with it's larger brother, and the larger one has a 40A limit, you should be able to get way more thrust using an apc 9x6e with this motor and will insure you get enough thrust for your annular wing

I would sure like to see your tests with this motor with an apc9x6e on 3s, and this may be what you really want to fly with, after you test it, and find you like how it goes.

As the Suppos go, they may be 90-100kv higher than they list, this one is probably a nice beefy 100gram 1500kv, not 1400 as listed, but seeing as you may be under-propping, we may be looking at the motor spinning out it's max rpm only and that it could easily give you a lot more thrust with the 9x6 prop.

All the nice better quality Cobra motors I spent more money on and I still want to buy this cheaper 1500kv 100g Suppo, I think you have a good motor there! It's like the Suppo is the low priced performer, the "Beef" motor and this motor look dressed up/designed/speced out just right. These Suppos, I think the lead wires are cheap (winding wire), no backside drilled for reverse prop adapter on longer motors, but, they really seem to design them (stators?) where they deliver good thrust.

There is a similar Cobra 2826/6turn/1470kv 171g 6.03oz $49 motor I have been looking at, apc 9x6e on 3s 64.59oz thrust but 3.0 Amps Io, means it's gonna be power hungry too because of the 6turns only.
Earlier it was this smaller one 2808/8 1450 139g for $43 I thought I wanted, it gives 65.12oz on 3s with an apc 9x4.5e.
Just looking at this 2808, I wonder why you are not getting 4# of thrust just with the 9x4.5, anyway you should get 4# of thrust with the 9x6 on your motor.

I know many sites post lies and/or inflate claims about their motors (can't trust them), I just think Cobra and Scorpion at innov8tive.com are probably much more honest on their tests than others, why would you have to lie if your motors really do perform good?. Lucien from innov8tive, posts stuff regularly on RCGroups

When I get it I sure want to test it with some apc 9x6e props, hope you test yours with this prop, my test gear is not assembled and running yet, problems with it.

1200kv may be a kind of good number, I was just looking to get the charts for the above mentioned, and thinking this, saw the Cobra 2820/10T/1170kv Io=1.6Amps, at the top n still in the green on the 3s charts apc10x6e gives 57.4oz for 351watts
I have 2 of these motors, still have to put them in something and get some flight time on them and really see.

This motor chart may already be listed.... yes I listed them

Last edited:

smithhayward

Large Child
I'm going to try to get to all my motor tests this week. I do not have a limiter on my Tx, maybe I didn't calibrate it correctly upon first startup. I'm using a Turnigy 40A ESC.

I built my own thrust testing rig. It's a right-angle with a hinge setup. The larger motors go on the back and "push". Smaller ones can fit on the front and pull in tractor configuration. I'm pretty sure I got the measurements of the right-angle correct - almost exactly 25cm from corner to motor center and the same 25cm from corner to the center of the pad pushing on the scale. I have a piece of foam on the underside of the wood where it pushes on the scale, should it be a harder point like a screw going in from the bottom so the screw head is where the force is applied?

ProfessorFate

Hi Smith

I don't think it makes much difference with the thrust, maybe the foam will insulate the scale from some of the vibrations tho?

You know you and others are ahead of me on the test gear and thrust gauge, super.
Some might criticize my strong leaning on the manf. prop tests and references to them, but I only use what I can trust, and this is all I have right now, I don't have a scale I even really like, much less a test stand or eLogger setup

Concessions made to those making those criticisms.

I think most anything Nerdnic and Dr Kiwi (RCGroups and tests at flybrushless) posts can be trusted, along with Cobra and Scorpion motor test charts.

Even without the test gear, from these I can make some very good predictions about similar motors, what they will do.

Nerdnic simply did a power test, with a wattmeter and maybe with a temperature sensor.
He simply ran the Suppo 1490kv (calling it 90kv higher because they all seem to test that way, see Dr Kiwi test the 2217 "Beef" motor on flybrushless.com) with an apc 9x6 e and determined it would be OK WOT and pull 41A 445W

Below in the pics posted on 8.5x11", the Suppo and 2 Cobra that show about what we should expect from the Suppo with either a 9x4.5 or a 9x6

OK the thing I see is the Suppo seems to be stronger than the Cobra 2814 and weaker than the larger one in the list with apc props, I think you can look in between these two and see what you should expect

I look at the 41Amps/445W of the Suppo and see what the others do rpm/thrust near same power level but also bearing in mind differences in efficiency .... well see these chart excerpts below, Smith:

Suppo 1490kv to sim Cobra with apc 9x4.5 and 9x6.jpg

The heavier gram weight of the 109g Cobra, by which we gauge motor power capabilities, may be due to the fact that they make the structural bodies and shaft bigger and heavier, that extra weight IMO, is just not in the stator where the performance differences can be seen. I really like the heavy duty construction Cobra uses, they use harder larger 5mm shafts where other makers use smaller 4mm shafts! But this also means that I would look for a heavier gram weight in Cobra to compare to another motor. Maybe their 109g 2814 better compares to another lighter motor of like 85grams? And the Suppo seems pretty solid at its 100g weight and performance, but, then, sometimes like this one also just has the 4mm shaft, I like the shafts a little larger and harder, especially as the motor get longer.

That odd noise you heard while testing, it may not necessarily be the motor, I'm learning more and more that, just like the fire triangle takes 3 things to make fire Ox, Fuel, Heat... it could also be the motor controller, I bought 2 of the cheaper brands, the 40A ZTW that have 5A BECs from Altitude Hobbies, and I hope they will be really good.

The quality of the ESC should be considered, their upper switching frequency limit and also the PWM frequency (pulse width modulation frequency) setting, with a motor with either high kv or one of these new motors with like 24 or more poles, it takes a higher PWM and more switching occurs to run these motors.

What differences would you see in your motor test of the 2814 Suppo, if you switched PWM from 8khz up to medium or the 16khz setting?

I don't know conclusively but have been reading and think like this motor, at med-hi 1490kv, there seem to be 2 things, a timing setting and the pwm setting that could affect performance. Test at pwm 8khz then same test at 16khz, check for smooth and good throttle response all along the range and check the power consumption at different rpm levels, wish I had the test gear set up to do this myself ( see on RCGroups, Dr Kiwi 2 or 3 threads on his motor thrust test stand constructions )

An ESC with my pulsar glider, always had a problem with a slow throttle response that I really did not like at all!!!!! I hand launch, throttle up and it would not throttle up and I am close to the ground. That was yrs ago and I did not know how to troubleshoot that problem, then.

Here is a link at flyinggiants where "scalefreak" explains a lot about timing and pwm settings

http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27555&page=2

We know that some of the cheaper brands of stuff cannot be trusted at it's claimed limits. How many vids have you seen where somebody crashed a plane, it really lost browned out, and you come to find it was one of those cheap orange receivers?

That said, I don't yet know if I can trust Turnigy ESCs yet, I have two 40A ZTW, a 40A Cobra, and a Castle 50A all with 5Amp BECS

Check all connections, make sure you don't have any bad solder joints on the bullits, and other places

New thing I learned, you have to add capacitor filters if you want to make the battery leads on either side longer because longer leads make for higher transient spikes that can kill your ESC if not filtered out, add like 2 or 3 high frequency caps same size as the stock ones in parallel right by the ESC and you can make the leads longer, and you cannot just add a bigger cap either because IT will take more of the load, heat up, blow up, then your ESC will fry and your plane falls out of the sky.... Ron van Sommeren has a very interesting post on RCGroups about this. And you cannot use those cheap caps from Radio Shack either, goto a good electronic store, pick caps by same micro farad size, and going up on the voltage spec is good but not going lower than stock spec on ESC caps for sure.

Been thinking about getting some caps n awg12 noodle wire to make my ESC leads longer.

All this time and I still haven't built an FT Power pod or any DTFB planes, so I am making this very special low wing warbird power pod(3.5oz) for any warbird but the top removeable canopy where the batt will be, is for the FT Mustang incognito as Hawker Hurricane. Pod here only needs bottom rails, finish hatch cvr and include a good looking clear canopy, that's the 2217/7 1340kv "Beef" w/ gws 9x5dd/ep/hd prop, see?

Features:
1: Durable lite-ply 1g/inch, won't get crunched on hard nose-ins, cut big holes in face for cooling
2: Built-in thrust correction 4deg Right & 4deg Down
3: Top hatch batt access, just set it in there, plug in and close hatch, hatch will hold batt with a pin n spring
4: Space problem for ESC solved, 3/4" rails will go on bottom as spacers, ESC goes here and will get plenty of cooling from the front
5: 6-32 firewall blind nuts ( for blind squirrels ), use w/ hex head screws, easy to swap different motors

Add: make a bottom shelf in the fuse that the pod will be supported by, you might even leave out side pinning the fuse then, with it also taped at the top of fuse/pod.

Just set it in your FT warbird, tape the top pod sides to the top edge sides of fuse lengthwise and pin it in thru fuse

That fiberglass sheeting you see is behind the clear canopy and is a very hard hand grip to handle/remove canopy by.

*** I did start out building a stock FT power pod out of lite ply, but wanting the top access hatch to put bat in pod, like if you have seen End Of The RoadRCs FT Mustang? It just ended up this way, all of these I believe are good ideas, but, this could have been planned better, like one whole panel for the sides extending that extra 3/4" where the spacer will go

Another one with all these ideas, but, just a better layout, would really be the thing to do, and not just stumble on this, this way, but it's discovery as you build, I guess. I'll know better what to build and plan for the next one.

Hurricane 40.25inchWS  power pod 1.jpg

Actual Size here too, I used the WRX formula I made up, I wanted 11"=W, image =32.5"=X, rate "r" to decrease=.3385 so 34% worked just fine

This image was taken close up so you get dimension errors on a side view, that would be reduced on a more distant picture, in natural light 10 feet away

Here's the full size plan of the 40 inch FT Mustang made disguised as a Hawker Hurricane with the new power pod design:

Hurricane 40.25inchWS  side pod plan 2 parts act size.jpg

This eliminates a little of the top and nose construction, provided, you build a Hurricane or a different canopy cover.

Hurricane 40.25inchWS  new pod plan this is what you build.jpg

After you watch The Battle of Britain ( 1969 ) with Michael Caine, Robert Shaw, Kenneth More, Edward Fox (Day of the Jackal) and Laurence Olivier, you may want to build a Hawker Hurricane.

"We have before us an ordeal of the most grievous kind. We have before us many, many long months of struggle and of suffering. You ask, what is our policy? I will say: It is to wage war, by sea, land, and air, with all our might and with all the strength that God can give us; to wage war against a monstrous tyranny never surpassed in the dark, lamentable catalogue of human crime. That is our policy. You ask, what is our aim? I can answer in one word: It is victory, victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory, however long and hard the road may be." Winston Churchill

Well, then, go see Reach for the Sky, The Story of Douglas Bader ( 1956 ) Kenneth More, another great movie with Hurricanes.

Leonard

I did not want to crowd your thread, I might move this pod addition to a thread, it might be a good idea others might want to build with.

Last edited:

smithhayward

Large Child
Alright, this thing has been ready to chuck around for some time now. I'm going to try to make time for this on the weekend, even if it's just for a few chucks. I hope to get them on video for analysis later - I'll post them for some extra eyeballs.

smithhayward

Large Child
Ugh, I know I know. I did NOT make the time. My problem is that I don't really have a place to toss it that isn't likely to destroy it on the first throw. I'll have to figure something out. If anyone has any ideas I'm all ears!

smithhayward

Large Child
Alright - My kids have a birthday party to go to this weekend so I'm going to bring this plane with me, go find an abandoned lot or something, set up my video camera and just throw it around for a while. If it gets destroyed so be it.

ProfessorFate

"Dr Smith ... I think we're lost."

Hello
I was just looking up Sci-Fi Spacecraft and found this page

https://www.pinterest.com/martintaylor/greatest-fictional-spacecraft/

Martin Taylor  Greatest Fictional Spacecraft on Pinterest.jpg

That pg was kind of short but has tons of links to other stuff, here's another with lots of stuff from the present back to ...70s60s50s

https://www.pinterest.com/ricardo8517/scifi-vehicles-tech/

Stuff like this and futuristic art from the 50s-70s is interesting, and unique spacecraft/aircraft

I was just looking at this page and thought, how very many different craft there are here that would be so interesting/cool as RC.

Have a look, have fun, might want to build something you forgot about from a sci fi movie.

Leonard

"Bones...are there any signs of intelligent life-forms?"

Last edited:

smithhayward

Large Child
Thanks Leonard! I'll check them out when I have some time. Right now work is keeping me from the RC stuff I wish I were doing...

Techno

Sunny Day Park Flyer
This could be cool...

I was watching Outrageous Acts of Science on TV a while ago, and I saw a video about a plane that uses spinning cylinders to make lift instead of winds, by using the Magnus effect. I think these can be used for flying planes/spacecraft which wouldn't normally have wings.
Here's a video:

smithhayward

Large Child
How would one calculate the surface area (length and diameter) of the spindles? And calculate how much lift these "wings" create?

Quit posting crap that makes me add a plane to my build backlog! LMAO!!!

Anyway, this plane is not dead. I did not get good test chucks, so I think a full scale powered proof-of-concept is in store. Finishing up my P170 so tune into that thread soon (see my sig). I'll pick this back up sometime in 2016-2017.