Sci-Fi Cylinder Pusher - Should I Attempt Such an Undertaking?

smithhayward

Large Child
OK, anyone interested in this here's an update (plans no real progress):

1. I'm going to try to model this in Phoenix RC as a pusher with the propeller seated firmly in the cylinder. I figure if I can get it to fly virtually there's at least a SHOT of getting it to fly in reality.

2. I have come into possession of 3 EDFs that run on 3s. Two are matched (~3600kv) and one is similar in duct size (63mm) with a 5000kv rating. I may try to design something in reality (i.e. not a simulator) that puts a the pair of them side-by-side in the cylinder. I'm also toying with putting the third one inside the fuselage to pull air in through the front. If the 3 of the motors were perfectly matched I was going to try to put them in a triad formation with their thrust washing over each of the 3 control surfaces.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
After looking through this I was eager to see if there was any attempt to fly.

This is like me with my builds. so close, looks great....

Any progress or a pic?

smithhayward

Large Child
Nothing Yet...

Hey FoamyDM! Thanks for the shoutout! Unfortunately nothing yet. I still have the prototype "air"frame, but it's got severe hangar rash since I built it over a year ago and it's been around the house, garage, storage area, etc over that time period. The only pictures I have you've seen in the first few posts.

I think it's going to need to be much larger scale than I have build so far (I think double the diameter of the cylinder) to make it so that it has a high enough lift-to-weight.

I have NOT lost interest in it though. I've said this on a few other threads, but I'm moving into a new house in late-July and I'll have my own 1-car garage-sized workshop all to myself (I share with cars now, and nothing can happen because we're selling this house so it has to remain "clean").

I will be hopping round-robin through all of my open projects for some time to come, so stay tuned. I'm still not 100% sure that it will ever fly, but we'll see.

Do you think I should try to take of vertically (on its butt) or put wheels on it and try a traditional takeoff?

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
When you build it be aware that the propeller shroud will generate lift and so the CG will be effected.

In level flight it could/should perform like a tandem wing with tail.

have fun!