Scoring Planes at Swap Meets, Estate Sales, and Online

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Last for today, here she is all ready to fuel and run. It looks like she weighs about 13.5 pounds dry, which is on the heavy end for a 26cc gasser, but it should still be good enough to get her airborne. Tomorrow I'll fire it up for testing, but I don't think it'll be ready to fly until I put taller landing gear on it. Taller, and thicker as the current one may flex enough to allow a prop strike fairly easily.

thumbnail_IMG_0651.jpg

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Well, it's not ready to take to the field, but it was ready enough to fire up the Zenoah 26. The fuel lines still need work as the fill system I kept from the previous owner leaks badly, so I bypassed it and make it work. I've got time since I still need to order the new landing gear and possibly new wheels. This engine took zero tuning from me, I just added gas and it fired up and ran perfectly, and that Bennet muffler is LOUD as it blasts down onto my bench! So I'll work on different planes for a while as I collect the parts needed to finish this one up.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
First, an update on the Stick. The landing gear that came with it was WAY too soft and low for the prop size - it'd be chopping grass at idle and upon landing there is no doubt it'd lead to a ground strike. Bending the gear would help, but it'd collapse again on a landing, so I ordered a new taller set from T&T. It sits WAY higher now (sorry, no pic yet) and has plenty of room for a slightly bigger prop. I also did some updates to the fuel system. It still needs a way to kill the ignition from the transmitter, which I'll add after the maiden. For now, it's running great and is ready to go!

Next, this thread is (mostly) about swap meets and finding new projects. It's still too early for official swap meets around the upper midwest and I've got a desire to clear some planes out of my hangar. My wife has tentatively agreed to me buying an ultralight and taking flight lessons after I have our patio replaced (and a few other projects), so selling some stuff gets me a step closer to flight! I figure it's still at least a year from happening, but I gotta start somewhere.

I'm going to go through my kits, projects, and built planes to see what I can't live without and will list them here for anybody who may be interested. Then on to RC Groups and (ick) Craigslist. A buddy of mine has the same plans, including an ultralight and flight lessons, so I'll list what he's got as well.

OliverW

Legendary member
First, an update on the Stick. The landing gear that came with it was WAY too soft and low for the prop size - it'd be chopping grass at idle and upon landing there is no doubt it'd lead to a ground strike. Bending the gear would help, but it'd collapse again on a landing, so I ordered a new taller set from T&T. It sits WAY higher now (sorry, no pic yet) and has plenty of room for a slightly bigger prop. I also did some updates to the fuel system. It still needs a way to kill the ignition from the transmitter, which I'll add after the maiden. For now, it's running great and is ready to go!

Next, this thread is (mostly) about swap meets and finding new projects. It's still too early for official swap meets around the upper midwest and I've got a desire to clear some planes out of my hangar. My wife has tentatively agreed to me buying an ultralight and taking flight lessons after I have our patio replaced (and a few other projects), so selling some stuff gets me a step closer to flight! I figure it's still at least a year from happening, but I gotta start somewhere.

I'm going to go through my kits, projects, and built planes to see what I can't live without and will list them here for anybody who may be interested. Then on to RC Groups and (ick) Craigslist. A buddy of mine has the same plans, including an ultralight and flight lessons, so I'll list what he's got as well.
Ugh don't tempt me. What ultralight are you looking at? I'm looking at saving up for an Aero Lite 103 before I go to college