Scout research/build

OliverW

Legendary member
So after my stearman came out extremely overweight even before covering, I have been looking around for a new plane to build. I am currently finishing a 1/2A racer and decided what to do next. I am going to convert a FT scout to balsa to make it look more vintage and beautiful! Research starts this week and next week. The build will hopefully start in 2 weeks at the latest

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
The Scout should be a great one to do a balsa conversion on.

I don't recall seeing a thread on the Stearman - am I just having a senior moment? Any ideas why it came out so heavy, and what you can do to avoid the problem or fix it?

OliverW

Legendary member
The Scout should be a great one to do a balsa conversion on.

I don't recall seeing a thread on the Stearman - am I just having a senior moment? Any ideas why it came out so heavy, and what you can do to avoid the problem or fix it?
I would have to tear the whole thing apart to cut enlightening holes. I had a dingus moment and forgot to cutout holes in the ribs and shave off wood from the formers.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I would have to tear the whole thing apart to cut enlightening holes. I had a dingus moment and forgot to cutout holes in the ribs and shave off wood from the formers.

Aack!

Ya know, I've heard people talk about using helium balloons to reduce the weight of a model... :unsure:

L Edge

Master member
When you mentioned 1/2 A racer, forgot about the one stuck in the rafter in the cellar. Pulled it out and it was our old 1970's GLH that my son and I pylon raced. Have some 30 % heli fuel so I am going to see if I can clean the dust and goo off and will see if I can get it started and running.

Planes name GoesLikeHell and race speed was in excess of 100MPH. Had tool to reset ball under piston after each meet to keep it tight and the RPM's up. My 9 year old son usually placed 1st or second in every pylon race.

Engine in a PITA to keep going smooth as you will learn. Hope to see yours flying in a short time. Build light and you will exceed 100mph easily.