Scratch Build Mighty Mini Sportster

moke

Taking on my first scratch build and chose mini sportster to keep it simple and learn. Read the article on making template and kind of enjoyed that process. And it wasn't as hard to download and make the templates as I thought it would be.
mini scout template.jpg

Attachments

• 20200517_134041 (002).jpg
    20200517_134041 (002).jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0

moke

Next step, found some colored foam board at office depot. $4 a sheet. Haven't found any discussion on using colored foam board but tried it anyway. I think looks pretty good and avoids having to paint. Added simple FT decal and pleased with outcome. Practiced painting and waterproofing some small pieces but so far find that this 'alternative' board doesn't handle paint very well at all. Neither does it seem to handle glaze. But I can live with it as is so far.
20200519_112809 (002).jpg

moke

Looking good! How does the office depot foamboard compare to DTFB in weight?
I didn't think about weight. But this board is ever so slightly thinner than the stuff I have been getting and using in kits. Forms pretty easily and I think it must be darned close in weight.

moke

Second or third day on my first scratch. Not as easy as kit but sure enjoy the process. And still under $10 so far.
20200520_135909 (002).jpg

moke

Such a clean build - good job! Do you have a motor for it yet? Right now the 2206 FT radials are on sale for $13. I picked up a couple but haven't tested them yet.
hey thanks for input. and thanks for info on motor. I don't have motor or esc yet...so will follow up on that.

Last edited:

moke

landing gear on couple little touches with windshield and mufflers and I clear coated today. Now it sits for awhile awaiting incoming electronics.
20200521_191811 (002).jpg

Attachments

• 20200521_191848.jpg
    20200521_191848.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0

moke

So got it done and ready to maiden. looks ok, but here is summary advice. Don't use the colored foam board! It turned out to be slightly thinner than the FT foam board and that resulted in some warping of control surfaces once electronics were installed. The foam board I used wasn't water proof so I sprayed light coat of clear coat on it. That turned out bad too. some of the paper just delaminated and once it dried the paper tightened up and did a little more warping of the whole model. Oh well, live and learn. I enjoyed my first scratch build. BUT will stick with the FT foam board moving forward. If this one flies I will be surprised. And if it lasts more than a few flights even more surprised. Good news is I have all of the internal stuff and less than $10 into the actual airframe.
20200527_144135.jpg

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
So got it done and ready to maiden. looks ok, but here is summary advice. Don't use the colored foam board! It turned out to be slightly thinner than the FT foam board and that resulted in some warping of control surfaces once electronics were installed. The foam board I used wasn't water proof so I sprayed light coat of clear coat on it. That turned out bad too. some of the paper just delaminated and once it dried the paper tightened up and did a little more warping of the whole model. Oh well, live and learn. I enjoyed my first scratch build. BUT will stick with the FT foam board moving forward. If this one flies I will be surprised. And if it lasts more than a few flights even more surprised. Good news is I have all of the internal stuff and less than $10 into the actual airframe.
View attachment 170143
Good luck on the maiden!