Scratch build questions

Sly Fox

I have never done a build before. Was looking at trying to make a tiny sparrow glider to start. I downloaded plans. ( Looks like I need the Tile A plans for a normal home printer). So my questions are:

1. What type & size I foam board do I get from my local hobby store (plans don't say).
2. Once I place the plan tiles on the be foam board, do I just trace the pattern with a razor (assuming you just tape the plans in place)?
3. For the score lines do I just use something blunt to transfer the lines to the foam?

Sorry if these seem like dumb questions.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
Adam's ready board is the recommended material, you can pick it at the dollar store in the US.

the plans tell you what each cut type is, solid black is cut through, dashed red is a light score. You should follow along the build video for what ever plane your giving, it will cover all the details (outside cutting out the plans).

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
20x30" is the typical Foam board size. yes, you will need to tape the plans together then put onto the foam board. i typically assemble plans, then cut out the parts and tape them to the FB. i then use a razor knife to do the cuts. start with reference lines and score cuts, then any holes that need cut out, then do the perimeter of the part last.

good luck,

me :cool:

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
There are many ways to accomplish the task. Myself, I prefer to glue the plans to the fb and cut them out. I will save this as a template and use it to make my planes. I will use pin to poke through the template to mark score lines & such.

Some use poster board for templates, I prefer fb. It’s easier to make modifications. If I need to extend the nose to achieve proper CG. It’s easy to modify the template and incorporate the mod into future planes.

Sly Fox

Adam's ready board is the recommended material, you can pick it at the dollar store in the US.

the plans tell you what each cut type is, solid black is cut through, dashed red is a light score. You should follow along the build video for what ever plane your giving, it will cover all the details (outside cutting out the plans).
Any particular thickness of is there only 1?

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
That's as thick as it gets from the dollarstore. You can source FB from other places to go thinner but that is the standard at 3/16 or 5mm. All the FT plans are designed for that thickness. Get a handful of sheets and have fun.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
2. Once I place the plan tiles on the be foam board, do I just trace the pattern with a razor (assuming you just tape the plans in place)?
Thats exactly how i do it. After the plans are taped together i will also go another step and cut the individual templates out from the tiled sheet, about a half inch to the outside of the cut line all around the piece. Then i will arrange them on the FB sheet to maximize material. Then tape them down with packing tape to hold them in place and start the cutting process.

Razor through the cut lines, usually the score lines are straight so i will use the same razor to poke a small mark on each end of the dotted line. Once the template comes off after the cut out i will locate those poke through marks, line up a ruler to them, and make the score cut along the ruler. Rinse and repeat until all the pieces are cut.

If you need more tips I do have a thread I started where people will post on to leave tips and tricks for others to gain easy access to stuff we do for building or flying. There might be something in there that speaks to you, check it out...
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/battleaxe-quick-tips.60501/

Sly Fox

Thats exactly how i do it. After the plans are taped together i will also go another step and cut the individual templates out from the tiled sheet, about a half inch to the outside of the cut line all around the piece. Then i will arrange them on the FB sheet to maximize material. Then tape them down with packing tape to hold them in place and start the cutting process.

Razor through the cut lines, usually the score lines are straight so i will use the same razor to poke a small mark on each end of the dotted line. Once the template comes off after the cut out i will locate those poke through marks, line up a ruler to them, and make the score cut along the ruler. Rinse and repeat until all the pieces are cut.

If you need more tips I do have a thread I started where people will post on to leave tips and tricks for others to gain easy access to stuff we do for building or flying. There might be something in there that speaks to you, check it out...
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/battleaxe-quick-tips.60501/

Thanks for the info and link.

Do you know the difference between the Tiled A & Tiled B plans? I havn't seen an answer to that yet. I also noticed that the Mini Sparrow does not have Tiled plans, Just the Full size ... Do I just use the same plans as the Twin Sparrow?

Timmy

Legendary member

Do you know the difference between the Tiled A & Tiled B plans? I havn't seen an answer to that yet. I also noticed that the Mini Sparrow does not have Tiled plans, Just the Full size ... Do I just use the same plans as the Twin Sparrow?
yes, just use the same plans as the twin.

BATTLECAT

To my knowledge the difference between Tiled A and Tiled B is that Tiled A = US Letter size standard for use in North America and Tiled B = A4 International standard size. I'm in North America so I use Tiled A plans, I'm not very familiar with the Tiled B but I assume if your anywhere but North America you would use B. The full size plans are for if your going to print on one large sheet.

JasonK

Won't rinsing ruin the foam board?

"rinse and repeat" is being used as an Idiom [I believe that is the correct term] meaning continue to do the same set of steps again. if you were making a joke, I apologize in advance for taking your question literally.

Timmy

Legendary member
"rinse and repeat" is being used as an Idiom [I believe that is the correct term] meaning continue to do the same set of steps again. if you were making a joke, I apologize in advance for taking your question literally.
I was making a joke. Lack-of-tone-of-voice-over-text strikes again! ( I think that's the correct term)

JasonK

I was making a joke. Lack-of-tone-of-voice-over-text strikes again! ( I think that's the correct term)

serious:
Won't rinsing ruin the foam board?

joke:
Won't rinsing ruin the foam board? ;)

at least in my experiance adding some emoji or other to make it clear your joking or being sarcastic/etc, makes it more likely to get correctly read.