Scratch builds in the works!!!

Captain Jay

Elite member
Well, I took a little time away from Foam Board building as I got a little discouraged... Due to some crashes and not so powerful fan units...
Here are some builds I've start on the weekend. One is a Learjet and the other one will kind of be like a Chipmunk just a simple plane. I have a few days of work to finish before painting. I'll post the finished works once done.
Sorry, I didn't take part in some of the group builds. I was going to and planned on it but it turns out, I don't like following any plans or building standard war birds for some reason.
My challenge is usually dream up a plane that's cool and figure out how to make one. This is why I fail sometimes and got discouraged. Well, I'm back building again, I do love it...
Anyone else ever try making a twin edf jet like a Lear??? I would like to see your efforts....

Attachments

• IMG_20200116_1959186.jpg
    IMG_20200116_1959186.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20200116_1959019.jpg
    IMG_20200116_1959019.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20200116_1959486.jpg
    IMG_20200116_1959486.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0

Captain Jay

Elite member
I love the jet, that looks great. I am one who does love a good warbird but am up to my neck in them now and am about to embark on my first build without a plan. your builds look great. I hope mine come out as well.
If your about to scratch build, I suggest starting with a puller prop plane like the one I'm starting. Sounds like you have enough experience with warbirds. You'll do fine

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Well, I took a little time away from Foam Board building as I got a little discouraged... Due to some crashes and not so powerful fan units...
Here are some builds I've start on the weekend. One is a Learjet and the other one will kind of be like a Chipmunk just a simple plane. I have a few days of work to finish before painting. I'll post the finished works once done.
Sorry, I didn't take part in some of the group builds. I was going to and planned on it but it turns out, I don't like following any plans or building standard war birds for some reason.
My challenge is usually dream up a plane that's cool and figure out how to make one. This is why I fail sometimes and got discouraged. Well, I'm back building again, I do love it...
Anyone else ever try making a twin edf jet like a Lear??? I would like to see your efforts....
Ooh - I love that jet!!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
The EDFs are 11 blade 50 mm at 4900kv each and using 2 x 40 amp ESC's and 3s 2200 battery. I'm hoping it flys well. Testing them last night almost blew everything off my walls. Hahaha lol
How do you get 2 ESC's to power one EDF? Do you just splice them together wire for wire at the connectors? And it doesn't mess with the throttle programming?

Captain Jay

Elite member
I'm doing another Lear style jet with 1 x 40mm edf at the back if the plane as part of the bottom of the rudder. Would any of you like the build pictures? Someone could enlarge the photos and then do up an auto cad and others could try making one as well...

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Couple hours left and I'll post the pictures. Minus control surfaces and pushrods... cause you all know how to install them, don't ya.
Here's a preview, I was up until 2:15 am. It could fly in 2 hours or so. And I gotta say, it came out beautuful... C of G will be easy.
Gorgeous!!

RustySocket

Couple hours left and I'll post the pictures. Minus control surfaces and pushrods... cause you all know how to install them, don't ya.
Here's a preview, I was up until 2:15 am. It could fly in 2 hours or so. And I gotta say, it came out beautuful... C of G will be easy.

Very Cool. I would love to see plans for this. Beautiful job.

RustySocket

I'm doing another Lear style jet with 1 x 40mm edf at the back if the plane as part of the bottom of the rudder. Would any of you like the build pictures? Someone could enlarge the photos and then do up an auto cad and others could try making one as well...

I don't have the skills to help with plans but I would sure be interested in building one. I've always wanted to do a ducted fan but the cost of entry was prohibitive. After a lapse in the hobby for many years I see there are quite a few options available that make this affordable for me. I've always had a passion for personal jets and would love to build a Lear or especially a Citation.