scratch built camera plane

smittyplugs

Well i finally have it complete i call it the Go Slow 60 very stable and very slow plane i used the Armin wing build 60" with a 10" cord 12 including the ailerons covered it with colored packing tape and for the boom i used a old fishing rod lol

Mounted on a gopro3 and two 808 #16 micro cams:)

002_zps10eb48e7.jpg
004-1_zpsce063e7a.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_y726Q5oUY&feature=share&list=UUkrXrqNrJJpv1MLkTBpC84g

smittyplugs

Well i put some fins on the end of the wings not sure what effect this will have on the plane but i was not to crazy about having the open ends on the wing..
Oh also upgraded the motor to a 15BL 950KV with a 9.5x7.5 prop

Anyone have any idea on if it will effect anything on such a slow flying plane???

007-2_zps2cdc9162.jpg

008_zpsf2177271.jpg

Carbon

Elemental Madness
Vertical stabilizers are not needed in front of the center of pressure. They create stability issues. I would take those off if I was you.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
Winglets are cool. Almost all planes today uses winglets - up or down or both. I guess they will reduce the wing tip wortexes a little even on a slow plane like yours. I have seen Wingdragons with added winglets like yours and it seemed to work fine.
Specially when you add a camera and making the plane more heavy it will be fine.

Nonamerc

Arman
WOW this plane look like something you would buy, really nice build :applause:

@Carbon

Is that something you have learned from college and how is the study?
(When i am done with highschool I would like to do the same study as you are doing but then the dutch equivalent :) )

Carbon

Elemental Madness
WOW this plane look like something you would buy, really nice build :applause:

@Carbon

Is that something you have learned from college and how is the study?
(When i am done with highschool I would like to do the same study as you are doing but then the dutch equivalent :) )
No actually I learned this from Ed from Experimental Airlines. I showed him a picture of my Carbon B-3 when it had vert. stabs. on the wings. He said take them off and I did!

lonewolf7717

Wow 720 square inches of wing area! Curious as to the AUW you were flying at cause I am sure your wing loading numbers are ridiculously low. Noticed you crashed the plane, was it salvageable? Couple observations, you have a bit of lateral or roll axis instability which is not unusual for a slow flyer such as this but may be remedied with a bit more weight (if your wing loading is as low as I suspect it is) and or noticed from the pictures the horizontal stab is a bit "smallish" in ratio to main wing....there is a rule of thumb for wing to stabilizer ratios that I can't seem to pull out of my head right now. As to the crash, looked like a RX "brownout", are you using a ubec or running everything off the ESC and is this ESC up to snuff considering you did a motor upgrade???? Otherwise very clean build far beyond my level of spit and polish.

lonewolf7717

Sorry one more thing I just noticed AR400....Spectrum RX right? Two diversity antennas, hate to ask a stupid question but did you make sure to try and keep antennas away from other electronics on the plane and if possible 1 antenna positioned vertically and the other horizontally without crossing them?

smittyplugs

I did change the ar400 and replaced it with a ar 600 i routes the wires as away from each other as i could. The plane walked away from the crash with just minor damage to landing gear.
Did a little research after the fact and realized my new gopro with wifi runes off 2.4 as well as the plane thinking the signals got mixed and caused the plane to go crazy like that.....No more wifi when flying

smittyplugs

Update on the plane....The wing-lets top notch look great and have 0 bad habits.....
Also used the flight stabilizer it wasOKk it keep the plane on track but i think i have some adjusting to do since it was making to many corrections and the video shows this with a the rocking back and forth....

The landing was as smooth as butter even if the video shows different it was so smooth and slow it was like landing on a bed of cotton

Last edited: