Scratch built heavy UK foam board Tiny trainer Motor advice

Hi Ive just knocked together a tiny trainer with FB bought from the Range and need some advice on motors, ive got a 2212 1000kv Racestar motor, 2200 3s batterys and loads of 9x6 10x4 props would this be a good combo for the heavier uk foamboard ?

leaded50

Legendary member
2212 1000KV Brushless Motor at: 3s, normally would give thrust 885g, 173w effectwith a 1047 prop given. UK foams aint so much heavier, so this should anyway be 1:1 . aka No problem.

whackflyer

Master member
You'll probably want to go smaller on the battery. Somewhere around 1000 mAh 3s will work much better.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Firstly all of my TTs are built of the much heavier FB. I like the TT for beginners as it does allow the model to be re-purposed as the trainee skills grow. In addition I can repair simply and often only with the fitting of a new powerpod or nose.

For motor setups, I chose between 2 different motor/prop combos. For a bit of excitement I use a 2200 kV with a 5x5 on 3S and for training I use a 2205c 1400kV again on 3S but using either an 8x5 or a 9x5 SF.

I recommend the use of a SF prop for beginners as the problem of "P" factor is much reduced and the acceleration is good. Speed is low but OK.
The 2200kV is for more spirited performance on the sport wing as the final steps in training.

Of course I can fit a myriad of larger motors for specific applications like the MUTTS that I use in teaching the use of flaps and even the Canard version for introduction to elevons.

Just what i do here!

Have fun!

Firstly all of my TTs are built of the much heavier FB. I like the TT for beginners as it does allow the model to be re-purposed as the trainee skills grow. In addition I can repair simply and often only with the fitting of a new powerpod or nose.

For motor setups, I chose between 2 different motor/prop combos. For a bit of excitement I use a 2200 kV with a 5x5 on 3S and for training I use a 2205c 1400kV again on 3S but using either an 8x5 or a 9x5 SF.

I recommend the use of a SF prop for beginners as the problem of "P" factor is much reduced and the acceleration is good. Speed is low but OK.
The 2200kV is for more spirited performance on the sport wing as the final steps in training.

Of course I can fit a myriad of larger motors for specific applications like the MUTTS that I use in teaching the use of flaps and even the Canard version for introduction to elevons.

Just what i do here!

Have fun!

Thank you very much, your advice was very helpful im not a newbie but ive come late to the foam party. but enjoying learn new tricks off you good people.

messyhead

Why don't you look up @Hai-Lee's MUTTS, which has a bigger wing to cope with the heavier foam board, and a stronger nose. I built one last year, and just rebuilt it with flaps, and it flies well.