Scratch built longer range fpv

Well hello flite test,
I am planning to build a longer range twin prop fpv plane. I have two 2313N motor and want to swing 9 inch three blade props. I'm planning on building a armn wing from dollar tree foam and making the tube also from experimental airlines. I would be using a gopro camera and a 500mhz 2.4ghz transmitter for video and have a futaba 7cap 72mhz for radio. I would like it to hold two 2200mah batterys for longer flight time and will at some point have a osd and a kk board for gyros. Any ideas on wing size and fuseage? Also what tail type would be best suited for long range? All and any ideas are welcome.

Thanks timmerflyer.

saundw

I would say a relatively large wingspan, but not too large. Over 35" but probably under 70". In my experience a T tail is the best as it gets the clean air and is not in the prop wash. Others would argue that the conventional tail is better but it's just my preference. If you want to kill two birds with one stone you could get an OSD that also has gyro stabilization such as the FY31AP and Hornet OSD. The NOVA OSD also has has 1 axis stabilization on the roll axis. NOVA OSD is also more economical and easier to set up. If you plan on doing long distance, don't waste your time with 72mhz. It has better range than 2.4ghz but it will limit your range as 500mW 2.4 Video TX has good range. You will just feel like 72mhz is a burden. When I started FPV I wanted to use 72mhz but I decided to get a FlySky 9x and DragonLink. Another tip- Don't waste your time with junk. It will just slow your progression in FPV.

Good luck!

saundw

The 2.4ghz 500mW has a far superior range than the 72mhz RC. The 72 will limit you from using your 2.4 video to it's full potential. You always want to have better range in RC than in Video.

I don't see dragonlink in my future for a while so I will have to run 72 for a little while. I have look at the nova osd it look like the beat bang for the buck. Is there any other option to dragon link?

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
My JR XP652 has 1 Watt (1000mW) transmitter power, and lower frequencies have better obstacle penetration... so why would it have less range?

Nonamerc

Arman
My JR XP652 has 1 Watt (1000mW) transmitter power, and lower frequencies have better obstacle penetration... so why would it have less range?

Old technology. Also its not about the mw butt about the frequencie and antennas. I am making a build series on a fpv wing for long range flights. Tell us about the planes that you have flown.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
IBCrazy is a fan of 72Mhz. He claims to have flown up to five miles with it. It's certainly not 'old technology' - the range of mixes and functions has not expanded that much since computerised radios appeared. 72Mhz does not have a sudden drop off like 2.4Ghz, but starts glitching as you approach the edge of range. The limiting factor with 72Mhz is the antenna size, which limits the signal diversity available.

Nonamerc

Arman
IBCrazy is a fan of 72Mhz. He claims to have flown up to five miles with it. It's certainly not 'old technology' - the range of mixes and functions has not expanded that much since computerised radios appeared. 72Mhz does not have a sudden drop off like 2.4Ghz, but starts glitching as you approach the edge of range. The limiting factor with 72Mhz is the antenna size, which limits the signal diversity available.

Yea I know but I searched for the radio which colorex was talking about and that is more the old stuff, its perfect for short range/medium range but for long range you can better use an UHF system or 2.4 GHz with a booster.

Nonamerc

Arman

I personally like EZuhf more then dragonlink. Not that I have flown dragonlink but on the specs/hardware part I think that EZuhf is far better then dragonlink. EZuhf has an spectrum analyser and selectable frequencies. This all is really easy to do, first of all you will analyse the spectrum, then you can see which part of 430 to 440 MHz is the best to use and then you select that frequency to fly. Its easier then dragonlink. Range wise I think that the difference is not so big because with both systems people have flown far distances but on the hardware I think that EZuhf is better.

There have been tests with single engines and double engines confirming that a bigger single engine motor is more effective then two engines. The key to long range fpv is ofcourse an UHF system and fpv which is tested on long range flights. But you will also need allot of battery. Most distance records are flown with zephyrs/home made wings using something like 3 3300 mah 3 cells.

Last edited:
Old technology. Also its not about the mw butt about the frequencie and antennas. I am making a build series on a fpv wing for long range flights. Tell us about the planes that you have flown.

I have flown a skyhawk, chap, stratos, and have made a FT flyer and Axon from experimental airlines. The Axon is what I am using for FPV right now just doesn't handle the weight the greatest. I was thinking about going to a flying and ideas for a wing to learn on? I will probably be updated my radio to 2.4ghz at some point in the next year if I get something on the lines of dragon link I will be able to use my 2.4ghz transmitter for video?

saundw

Precisely. Using 433mhz for RC transmission will open a whole new door for you in FPV. For now, you could use your 72mhz for shorter distances like ≤1.5 miles, until you can save up and buy a LRS.

Nonamerc

Arman
I have flown a skyhawk, chap, stratos, and have made a FT flyer and Axon from experimental airlines. The Axon is what I am using for FPV right now just doesn't handle the weight the greatest. I was thinking about going to a flying and ideas for a wing to learn on? I will probably be updated my radio to 2.4ghz at some point in the next year if I get something on the lines of dragon link I will be able to use my 2.4ghz transmitter for video?

Saundw is right just use your 72 mhz system for short range and then buy a 9x with EZuhf or dragonlink. Well if you have allot of money you can always first buy the bonsai from HK or something like that. But thats expensive so I suggest that you scratchbuild your own wing, I am making a build video on a long range fpv wing so that will take about a month or so to upload. You can also make something like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzKhaKWSyVY
Instead of using a kfm2 you should make a full airfoil for better gliding performance. I suggest that you use a foldable prop witch folds when you dont apply any throttle. (Make sure that your programm your esc on brake mode or it wont work)

Arman

Nonamerc

Arman
Has anyone used the armn wing that experimental airlines makes for a flying wing. I was wondering if it could take the forces?

No but with a with it must be thick and it Much easier to make it from foam. Armn wing is good for planes like the axon but not for à wing...l

saundw

I personally don't really like using dollar tree foamboard. I like depron, it is more dense and better quality in my opinion. A great thing about depron also is that if you apply heat to it, you can bend it to create anything from dihedral to an undercamber. EPO is also great and so is EPP. Also use carbon rods if you don't want your wing to collapse mid flight! ;)