Scratch built tricopter spins clockwise on takeoff

Rog

I built a Flite test, tough tail tricopter. I'm having trouble on lift off, it wants to spin clockwise. Everything seems to work proper. I can run the elevator forward and lift the tail. I can pull the elevator back and lift the front. I can roll to the right the left side lifts up. I can roll to the left and the right side picks up. As soon as you give it enough throttle to lighten it up it spins clockwise. I have included a link to a short YouTube video that shows what it is doing. I am so close but yet so far away. If anyone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate all the help!
Thank you
Roger
click on link below for video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uKOXXZJhuU

PS: Rear motor counterclockwise.
Right front counterclockwise.
Left front clockwise. :confused:

RichB

Never touch the transmitter trims on a multirotor.

Your tail servo needs to be reversed (or un-reversed) The flight controller is trying to correct a slight yaw on take-off, but the servo is moving opposite the way that the controller is expecting. This causes the yaw to get worse, which causes the flight controller to try harder to correct it, which makes it even worse.

I'm not sure what flight controllr you are using so I can't give specific instructions on how to fix this, but it's a setting on your controller.

Rog

There seems to be no happy medium. It will spend to the right or it will spend to the left. It almost acts like the servo isn't strong enough to hold it. I am using the servo that Flite test recommended and sold for this application.

Rog

I am using a Naze 32. When I hit the yaw to the right the rear motor swings to the left and vice versa I thought that to be right.

RichB

I am using a Naze 32. When I hit the yaw to the right the rear motor swings to the left and vice versa I thought that to be right.

That is the correct response to stick inputs.

But your problem has to do with how the flight controller is attempting to stabilize yaw.

Another forum member had this problem recently:

good idea moneypit :) So what i did was went into the baseflight configurator, connected the board, clicked on the servo's tab and in the drop down box next to the YAW box on the Gyroscope/Accelerometer Direction table, changed it from normal to reversed.

Rog

Hi Rich,
I went back into clean flight and reversed the servo for the yaw. It still doing the same thing. The tail motor lays on its side sort of and it spends

Rog

I need to correct that last post. I did go into clean flight and I did hit reverse I did hit save but it did not save it. So there was no change in clean flight, therefore no change in the real flight. I have tried to change this tour three times in clean flight and for some reason it will not save the change. I'm going to unhook everything and try to reboot the computer and open clean flight again and try it over. Thank you so much for your help I think we're headed in the right direction.
Roger

Rog

I must be doing something wrong in clean flight. I hit reverse then hit save that will not save it. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong there?

RichB

No, that's a puzzler.

Are you sure you connected?

Do you have something on the serial bus, like a bluetooth or telemetry module?

Is it possible to remove the board and connect it to USB only?

Rog

I found the fix and this is it!

On the RC explores forum I found a guy that had the fix! Below is a copy of the code he sent to me:

Maarten wrote:

Cleanflight not accepting new data upon saving sounds familiar. Especially on the servo tab (since 1.9).

Does it save the change / fix the yaw when you change the value for servo 5 (the tilt in my case) in the CLI?

servo 5 1100 1900 1500 101 -1

I simply copy and paste that last line into the CLI. After that line was added to I went back to the servo tab & my Gyro was already reversed. He said that the number 101 is what tells it to reverse. Now I can fly! Let the fine-tuning begin.
I would like to say a big thank you to everyone who help me figure and sort this out. It is my hope that this post will help other people with tail rotor problems.
In thanks again to everybody
ROG:cool:

walkman1269

I've got same issue on flip32+ mini. Searching also

Hi folks,

I've looked everywhere for a fix for this gyro-yaw reverse issue and I can't find anything that works. I just built a tricopter and the gyro direction for the yaw is backwards. I tried the "servo 5 1100 1900 1500 101 -1" line in the CLI and I just get a 'Parse error'.
I'm using Configurator 0.66.0 and CLFL 1.10.0. This version doesn't have a gyro-accel reverse checkbox in the Servos tab and the versions that DO don't work.
I've tried many different configurations of these two and can't seem to get a pair that functions for this option. Help?!? Anyone?!

If you enter servo command it looks like parameters are different eg:

# servo
servo 0 1000 2000 1500 90 90 100 3
servo 1 1000 2000 1500 90 90 -100 2
servo 2 1000 2000 1500 90 90 100 -1
servo 3 1000 2000 1500 90 90 100 -1
servo 4 1000 2000 1500 90 90 100 -1
servo 5 1000 2000 1500 90 90 100 -1
servo 6 1000 2000 1500 90 90 -100 2
servo 7 1000 2000 1500 90 90 100 2

I've tried to set it multiple ways. They have added the servo angle in the screen and I can see it here see the '90 90' before the 100 value but, entering 101 in the second column gives a parse error. I've tried editing servo 0-7 and nothing reverses the servo. In the configurator it shows s1 but everyone says edit servo 5. I had this crap working in 2 minutes on a kk2 this is ridiculous. Cleanflight has walked off and forgot about the tricopter. I'm about ready to flash it back to baseflight. I remember David Windestal working with someone on a new release of cleanflight for tricopters but I can't find it yet. If anyone gets an idea please let me know because winter's coming fast and I would like to get this running before then. I've also tried downgrading to 1.9.0 like I've seen in other posts but the configurator say servo's are only available in 1.10.0. GRRRR....