Scratchbuild biplane from $1 worth of foam core

earthsciteach

After watching the videos of the Parkzone and HK SE 5A's flying, I decided I wanted a biplane. I'm building this one out of a 30"x20" sheet of dollar store foam core. I based it loosely on the lines of the SE5A, but just eyeballed it and drew it out on the foam. Wing struts will be made from Starbuck's coffee stirrers. Not sure what motor/prop I'm putting on it, yet. Wingspan is 30", length is about 20". Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Biplane1.jpg Biplane2.jpg

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
This is cool...

The neat thing about bipes, they don't have to be scale to look great. They can be a complete one off "home design" and people are still drawn to them, especially the people who aren't plane aficionados like us.

For my place, I'd have to keep it a belly lander cause it'll probably hate grass.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
I'd also like to get some foamboard + electronics and slap something nice together that I can fly on a soccer field.

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
If I were you I would give this a very light set up.

Four simple 5 g servos for everything would be enough.

Then just use a 12A ESC and a little motor that gives you about 300g of thrust and you should be good to go.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
If I were you I would give this a very light set up.

Four simple 5 g servos for everything would be enough.

Then just use a 12A ESC and a little motor that gives you about 300g of thrust and you should be good to go.

Thanks Anas. I will probably start scratchbuilding with power systems in about half a year from now.

ananas1301

As I see your fuselage from the inside now and realise that you use a thicker depron like material I would suggest you something a little bit more powerful then what I already said.

May something around 350-400g would be better and you should be able to go vertical.

The best thing you could do is finish building the plane and post the weight. Then look for some servos, motor and ESC. That way you can´t do anything wrong with choosing the right setup.

earthsciteach

The weight is going to be what I consider, "intermediate" for a plane of this size. However, due to being a biplane, it should come out with a very low wing loading. I have an Emax 2822 motor with a broken winding that may work well. I'm thinking of going very old school and actually using rigging to provide rigidity to the wings. I can do it easily, but it will obviously add weight. Still should fly nicely, though.

ananas1301

The weight is going to be what I consider, "intermediate" for a plane of this size. However, due to being a biplane, it should come out with a very low wing loading. I have an Emax 2822 motor with a broken winding that may work well. I'm thinking of going very old school and actually using rigging to provide rigidity to the wings. I can do it easily, but it will obviously add weight. Still should fly nicely, though.

Try to do your maiden without first, unless it flexes unbelievably much.
Then add only there where you think the instability is or you see during the maiden.
This way you minimize the risk of adding weight where you it was at a pointless place.

earthsciteach

The wings are way too flexible. I need to set the proper dihedral and ensure the angle of incidence. I could do it with a reinforcing rod, but rigging seems so much cooler!

Rcjim11

Looks very nice!
A Blue wonder 1300kv with a 8x3.8 or 9x4.7 on 3s should give you all of your power needs.

earthsciteach

Thanks, Rcjim11. The motor that I am planning on using will give me about the same performance as the blue wonder with its broken winding. It is still pulling my 800 mm Spitfire around nicely. I'm ordering a replacement motor for the Spit and will put this motor in the bipe. It should swing a GWS 8040 nicely. With the loss of power from the broken winding, it should do a nice job with this biplane.

CHELLIE

hi teach :) make a frame around the wings with some 1/4 basswood or 1/4 wooden dowels and epoxy it on, here is a nice motor for you, you will love it, its a AX-2308N-1800 kv motor, its a very powerful micro motor, i use them at 20 amps and 220 watts with a 3 cell lipo and a apc 7x6 prop, they love to be pushed, they have very thick windings in them, use a 30 amp esc to keep the esc cool, the motor is $6.32 :) LOL and the 30 amp hobbyking esc is 10.47, you will have lots of power, but you dont need to use it all :) I have 2 of these motors and 2 ESC 2 - 7x6 props and 2 prop adapters, if your interested i will sell you one of the motor, esc, prop and prop adapter for $25.00 shipped, let me know if your interested, Take care, Chellie

Here is my friend Kosh with this motor, and a 7x6 apc prop on 3 cells in a pieced together plane :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgV17GlLMlI

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=5430

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...0A_BlueSeries_Brushless_Speed_Controller.html

earthsciteach

CHELLIE! Awesome to have you here on Flite Test!

Folks, in case you don't know, this California Girl is the REAL DEAL! Take what she says to the bank!

Thanks for the advice, Chellie. I have two options readily at hand. One is a PowerUp 180 motor from HeadsUp, and the other is an Emax 2822 from, well, HeadsUp. The 180 is a tiny little thing. I think it could pull my bipe around in the gym at school, which will get me through the long, dark winter here in PA. But, the 2822 will turn this thing into a 3d animal which is most likely beyond my experience level. But for $1 worth of airframe, I'm willing to work through it!

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
I have successfully rewound the emax 2812 motor with Radio Shack wire.
I don't see why the same method wouldn't work out well with the 2822...
http://vimeo.com/18554942

earthsciteach

Here's a looooooooong overdue update on the $1 foam core bipe build. She is assembled minus electronics and ailerons. I could have her ready to fly within an hour if I really put my mind to it. I'm declaring a maiden within a week. If she flies decently, I'll paint her up all WWI like. I'm really happy with how this biplane is turning out.

The landing gear and wheels are completely scratchbuilt. I fabricated the wheels by sandwiching foam core between wood veneer. The treads are hot glue colored in with Sharpie. Wing bracing and tail skid are Starbucks coffee stirrers. I am pretty certain that the entire airframe is still around the $1 mark!

Attachments

• bipe 5-16 3.JPG
    bipe 5-16 3.JPG
    315.4 KB · Views: 30
  • bipe5-16 2.JPG
    bipe5-16 2.JPG
    444.5 KB · Views: 34
  • bipe5-16.JPG
    bipe5-16.JPG
    420.3 KB · Views: 37