scratchbuild suggestion: a plane that can fit in a backpack

jayz 84

Posted a thousand or more times
Phone spelled check it for me guess i missed a letter lol:D

But they are serious sence they do 100+mph:D

Last edited:

SnowRocker88

Amateur pilot and builder
Hmm. This is an interesting challenge. A 'backpack buildable'. Maybe make it fit in a large diameter shipping tube or something that you can slip into a backpack? That's an idea...

It's like $18 for a 5" diameter "heavy duty" shipping tube. Would people be interested in something like that?

Tactical Ex

You can easily fit some of the FT planes into a backpack if you make some mods to give you the ability to break the plane down but I know from experience that the backpack isn't a friendly place for less-durable materials. I would suggest making a folding versa wing that you can detatch the V-stabs from for transport. Foam board will bend and break too easily from physical pressure. The trick will probably be in using a power pod or affixing a permanent powertrain to it and still having it foldable.

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
I know from experience that the backpack isn't a friendly place for less-durable materials.

This is why I store models in boxes with jigs as needed to hold everything in place. For small models, these boxes can be very small, especially if the tail surfaces and landing gear are removable.

A side benefit of storing planes in boxes is that hangar rash is minimized.

Space is another factor. When you have as many planes as my wife and I have (we've stabilized around 100 airframes, and are looking to sell off a few), space becomes a major issue. Most of our planes stay in a small room, with some boxes containing 10-15 small models.