Sea Angel: First Powered plane in 15 years for me!

speedbirdted

Legendary member
I found that it doesn't handle rolling well, and needs a lot of coordinated rudder and elevator input if you don't want to whip the tail around - this is annoying because S-turns and the like now become exceptionally crappy-looking if you don't do everything exactly right (perhaps flying good aerobatic planes has spoiled me on that front) Inverted is also difficult but not impossible because the dihedral becomes annhedral, and the wholly non-symmetrical airfoil certainly doesn't help. The dihedral also makes manuvers with high negative G-load difficult (outside loops, reverse cuban 8) Other stuff like Harrier passes and hovering I don't think is really possible because the thrustline is too far from the vertical CG. More basic stuff it's fine at though, loops, wingovers and flatspins can be performed decently well. From my experiences overall, it's just not a happy airplane flying aerobatics, and outside initially exploring the flight envelope I didn't do hardly any at all with it.

speedbirdted

Legendary member
What's a Lomcevak? Never heard of it

It's difficult to explain due to there being a ton of ways to do it but essentially have the plane flying upwards at a 45 degree angle (usually also inverted) then apply full rudder and full aileron in opposite directions so the plane starts to crab while still travelling upward then full down elevator. The idea is the plane will lose most of its forward energy by transforming it into rotational energy, and this allows the plane to almost spin in place around its propeller. It's insanely cool when done well and is suprisingly easy to pull off. Here's a video.

Last edited:

DanH80

I can already visualize my popsicle stick wing joints failing... haha. I think I'll avoid some of those maneuvers with this rig anyway.

speedbirdted

Legendary member
Ha! I switched the foam motor, wing and float struts out for solid 1/8" ply pieces since I knew that exactly would happen if I tried anything stupid with it.

DanH80

This is kind of off topic, but I'd love any recommendations for this: I figure I'll fly the heck out of this plane until it gets pretty beat up, then transfer the power system to something else. I love building balsa kits, and wondering what laser cut kit out there might be a good park flyer fun/pretty aerobatic kind of thing, that would be a good match for the power pack C? I've looked at StevensAero models (which I like, but pretty pricey), and ParkScale models (which I also like, but none of those quite fit the bill, except maybe the full sized Drake seaplane. This is probably totally the wrong place to post this, so sorry in advance. Thanks for any ideas.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
You are obviously looking for balsa models correct?

Cuz I could suggest a few FB models that would suit your fancy, but I don't know much about the balsa genre.

DanH80

I would prefer balsa, I just enjoy it. But I'd be interested in hearing what FB kits folks recommend too. I'd prefer a kit at this point, and don't have the time right now for scratch builds unless they are pretty simple.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
As far as kits go in FB for what you are looking to do the Baby Blender is always a good all around choice, super versatile and you can keep it in close proximity. If you are into 3D style aerobatics you could do the Bushwhacker or the FT 3D. If it's just mostly flying with some light aerobatics the Cub or the Scout are simple builds. All of these will be C pack compatible, simple builds with a low piece count, and all come in laser cut SBK's

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I agree with @SP0NZ, start with the stock CG, get the plane trimmed out. Then move the CG to suite your flying stile.

For the FT planes that I have calculated the CG for, they all are at 25%. Thats where I start when I maiden a new build, when the plane is trimmed out, I move the CG aft to about 30%. I find a bit of instability adds to the fun.

However, when I was at Flite Fest 19, I shared the table with three noobs. They all built Tiny Trainer from a kit. When it was time, I was given the honor to maiden their planes. All 3 planes were balanced at the mark on the wing. All 3 were tail heavy, they were flying squirrels. All 3 flew great when the CG was moved forward 1/4 inch. I’m not sure if there was an error in construction or if the CG on the kit was off.
Did you by any chance have a 130% Ft cub at FF19? I talked to someone who did there and he said he was on the forums but I can't remember who it was...

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Did you by any chance have a 130% Ft cub at FF19? I talked to someone who did there and he said he was on the forums but I can't remember who it was...
I had a Cub @ FF19, of my own design, it has a wing span about 45”, it was green with yellow trim.

Tench745

Master member
A point of note on the C-clips. You may want to do a once-over for an interference between the firewall, motor mount, and c-clips. It's possible the clip snagged on something and broke or worked itself loose.

DanH80

Oh as far as the motor, I managed to get it out by attaching a long allen wrench to a long flat head screwdriver and accessing it through the small hole in the back of the pod!

I don't know about a clip, but where there should be something like that, there were two layers of sheared off metal (very thin), and tiny little bearings falling out. Not good! It doesn't look fixable to me. Still waiting to hear from FT.

Thanks for the ideas, the Blender does look pretty fun. Ideally I'd love to find a fun biplane about that size in a laser cut kit balsa, maybe a sport scale pitts or something like that. So far haven't found the right size.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Oh as far as the motor, I managed to get it out by attaching a long allen wrench to a long flat head screwdriver and accessing it through the small hole in the back of the pod!

I don't know about a clip, but where there should be something like that, there were two layers of sheared off metal (very thin), and tiny little bearings falling out. Not good! It doesn't look fixable to me. Still waiting to hear from FT.

Thanks for the ideas, the Blender does look pretty fun. Ideally I'd love to find a fun biplane about that size in a laser cut kit balsa, maybe a sport scale pitts or something like that. So far haven't found the right size.
You aren't wrong, biplanes are fun, and the look super cool in the air. Really versatile too, for all kinds of flying styles.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
What motor does it use?
I use the turnigy air 3730 or PROPDRIVE v2 3536 910KV, they both work well on a 12x3.8 SF prop. I get the one that happens to be in stock. I use these on both my Cub & FT3D. On 3S, they have unlimited vertical and will hover @ 40% throttle. A 2,200 3S, gives 8-10 minute flights.