sea duck waterproofing question

Paulieb1979

If I were to paint a sea duck with white foam board and spay paint it with rust oleum would the paint make it waterproof enough to take off and land in water? I painted a piece of foamboard and got it wet on accident and the water just beaded off.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
I would want to put a layer of minwax on the hull to make it even more water resilient and smear hot glue or epoxy on all of the seam lines of the hull to make sure no water seeps in.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
I put a layer of minwax over mine, then painted over the top of it. Keep in mind that the Minwax/polyurethane coating has a bit of a yellow tint to it, so it will not be a solid white color when done. If you have anything you want white, either that section is not going to be water resistant, or you'll have to go over it with white paint later.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
Are you using the white maker foam or the dollar store kind?

I've had good luck just using paint on maker foam but it's pretty water resistant itself. The dollar store board is not. I'd definitely seal the edges and minwax it for sure. One splash and it will separate the paper.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
If I were to paint a sea duck with white foam board and spay paint it with rust oleum would the paint make it waterproof enough to take off and land in water? I painted a piece of foamboard and got it wet on accident and the water just beaded off.
I have noticed the same thing where just the paint is enough to bead water, you could even go a step further after you paint by sealing it all in with a rustoleum clear coat spray can. I have done that as well. I usually do the minwax to prep the plane for the paint, this makes the painting easier if you are using Dollar Tree FB. If you are using Maker Foam or FTFB you should be good to just scuff it up and paint. Like the others said be sure all your edges are sealed and you should be good to go

Paulieb1979

Are you using the white maker foam or the dollar store kind?

I've had good luck just using paint on maker foam but it's pretty water resistant itself. The dollar store board is not. I'd definitely seal the edges and minwax it for sure. One splash and it will separate the paper.
Dollar store foam board. I made a rectangle (simulated boat) sprayed it and left in water overnight with a little weight in it and just one edge let the paper peel. The rest was good. So sealling edges and spray paint should do the trick with the added packing tape on the bottom.

Paulieb1979

I have noticed the same thing where just the paint is enough to bead water, you could even go a step further after you paint by sealing it all in with a rustoleum clear coat spray can. I have done that as well. I usually do the minwax to prep the plane for the paint, this makes the painting easier if you are using Dollar Tree FB. If you are using Maker Foam or FTFB you should be good to just scuff it up and paint. Like the others said be sure all your edges are sealed and you should be good to go
The mini wax is it just for seams or a coat should be put on the entire fuse?