Sea Otter happiness

Winglet

Recently I completed a Flite Test Sea Otter from a fast build kit. After building and flying it I had to wonder why I don't hear or see more about this super model?

Peter hit this one out of the park! Having built so many Flite Test models over the past 11 years I'm going to step way out and say this is my favorite so far! Peter's build video is excellent and it makes this easy to build model very simple to construct. It just flys super. The wing is from the Mustang. The best part is probably skiing the Sea Otter on the surface. It quickly pops up on the the very end of the step and almost behaves lake a RC airboat until you apply a little elevator and then you have an airplane. (two models in one) Mine has been out in 12-16 mph wind. Not a problem. Mine is completely stock. I am using a generic 2212 1400 KV motor with a 7x5 APC prop with a 2200 3 cell battery. I figure this is about the same as the FT B back.

I noticed in the store description it says for advanced builders and pilots. I don't really get that. Nothing over complicated about the build and it is a very predictable and gentle flyer.

My airplane has been flying for only 3 weeks now but I calculate I've flown 110 -2200mah packs thru it already! (helps to live on a lake) That is how much fun I have been having with this airplane. In fact I have a second airframe all ready to paint. The first one is starting to show some wear and I didn't want to be without one this fall. I'm taking lessons learned from the first model and incorporating them into number two. Nothing changed really except paying much more attention to making the hull as water tight as possible. Number 2 actually has the paper removed from the belly and replaced with colored duct tape. The belly really takes a beating and mine probably has well over 500 takeoffs and landings on it. The belly has been the subject of constant minor maintenance to keep the leaks minimal.

If you want a sea plane this is it. I also love my Sea Duck. The Sea Otter flys just as well and is simpler to set up and build then the Duck. My suggestion....build both. They will put a smile on your face.

Attachments

• ott1.jpg
    ott1.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 0
  • ott2.jpg
    ott2.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 0
  • ott3.jpg
    ott3.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

jehertel

Recently I completed a Flite Test Sea Otter from a fast build kit. After building and flying it I had to wonder why I don't hear or see more about this super model?

Peter hit this one out of the park! Having built so many Flite Test models over the past 11 years I'm going to step way out and say this is my favorite so far! Peter's build video is excellent and it makes this easy to build model very simple to construct. It just flys super. The wing is from the Mustang. The best part is probably skiing the Sea Otter on the surface. It quickly pops up on the the very end of the step and almost behaves lake a RC airboat until you apply a little elevator and then you have an airplane. (two models in one) Mine has been out in 12-16 mph wind. Not a problem. Mine is completely stock. I am using a generic 2212 1400 KV motor with a 7x5 APC prop with a 2200 3 cell battery. I figure this is about the same as the FT B back.

I noticed in the store description it says for advanced builders and pilots. I don't really get that. Nothing over complicated about the build and it is a very predictable and gentle flyer.

My airplane has been flying for only 3 weeks now but I calculate I've flown 110 -2200mah packs thru it already! (helps to live on a lake) That is how much fun I have been having with this airplane. In fact I have a second airframe all ready to paint. The first one is starting to show some wear and I didn't want to be without one this fall. I'm taking lessons learned from the first model and incorporating them into number two. Nothing changed really except paying much more attention to making the hull as water tight as possible. Number 2 actually has the paper removed from the belly and replaced with colored duct tape. The belly really takes a beating and mine probably has well over 500 takeoffs and landings on it. The belly has been the subject of constant minor maintenance to keep the leaks minimal.

If you want a sea plane this is it. I also love my Sea Duck. The Sea Otter flys just as well and is simpler to set up and build then the Duck. My suggestion....build both. They will put a smile on your face.

Thanks for the upbeat post on the FT Sea Otter. I am just finishing a Sea Otter. It's my first RC build (but I've built and flown full size). I'm a few weeks away from taxi trials and maiden flight but I've got a couple nagging questions that you may be able to answer:

1 - The motor mount has the motor off-axis by about 6 degrees. This just seems excessive. In your experience does this provide a balanced thrust?

2 - The CG is spec'd to be 1.75" behind the wing leading edge. I am assuming this is the leading edge that is closest to the fuselage. When I put my 3s-1800 mAh battery full forward (well forward of what Peter shows in the build video), my cg appears to be about 2.5" behind the LE. Should I be adding ballast?

Any guidance is appreciated.

Jim

Attachments

• IMG_8375.jpg
    IMG_8375.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 0

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
Thanks for the upbeat post on the FT Sea Otter. I am just finishing a Sea Otter. It's my first RC build (but I've built and flown full size). I'm a few weeks away from taxi trials and maiden flight but I've got a couple nagging questions that you may be able to answer:

1 - The motor mount has the motor off-axis by about 6 degrees. This just seems excessive. In your experience does this provide a balanced thrust?

2 - The CG is spec'd to be 1.75" behind the wing leading edge. I am assuming this is the leading edge that is closest to the fuselage. When I put my 3s-1800 mAh battery full forward (well forward of what Peter shows in the build video), my cg appears to be about 2.5" behind the LE. Should I be adding ballast?

Any guidance is appreciated.

Jim
6 degrees sounds like way too much, it should be 2 to 4.