Self Hand Launch

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Something I've noticed from several videos I've seen here and around is the way people self-hand-launch smaller planes.

What strikes me as odd, they'll hold the plane and launch with their right hand, holding the tx in their left. Naturally, for mode 2, they'll have control of the throttle the whole time, but they have the first couple of seconds the ail/elv are up to the aircraft's trim.

My question: Wouldn't it be better to engage a throttle cut assigned to a RH switch, preset the throttle for launch, hold the control in the right, and in the windup of the throw, turn off the cut?

That way the ail/elv are always under control, and the full throttle/rud control comes in during the climb out.

What say you? Is control of the flight surfaces in the first second of flight worth throwing non-dominate hand, or am I missing something?

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Or you could be sensible and fly mode 1 ;)

Even with mode 1 however, there are some planes that require aileron input very soon after launch, so I've been known to program the rudder stick to ailerons (they're usually bank and yank planes anyway).

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
I don't usually toss my planes but when I do I always throw it with my right hand (mode 2) and get onto the controls pretty quickly. Usually the planes I toss are indoor 3d planes which I also catch while hovering and it definitely takes some practice but I find the throttle control to be more important. I might try what you are saying though. Set my throttle and use the throttle cut. I usually have my planes trimmed pretty well though so it's never been a problem.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
I normally toss with my left hand.
But if i need to toss with my right hand i can reach the elevator stick with my left hand carrying the transmitter with the neck strap.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
I don't usually toss my planes but when I do I always throw it with my right hand (mode 2) and get onto the controls pretty quickly.

Hmmmm, for some reason the image of the Dos Equis commercial popped into my head.

aiidanwings

Personally, I think throttle/rudder control is more necessary at lower take off speeds.

That, and I throw like a girl left handed.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Where's the video!?!?

FM, check out your video. yup, saw you do it. Seen others do it too -- some in "crash reels".

Now for the "idea" -- haven't seen anyone do that. done quite a few hand lanches with it, but my only airframe is a night vapor -- never quite sure what Ideas will scale up. Feels a bit like giving advice to falconiers using my pet parakeet as a demo . . .

Personally, I think throttle/rudder control is more necessary at lower take off speeds.

aiidanwings,

forgive the tone, it's an honest question.

I can see a point about the rudder -- might be worth setting an A/R mix to another switch --but why would you need to adjust the throttle in the first few seconds of climbout?
Too low, it should have been set higher
Too high, you should be able to keep control for 2 seconds to throttle back
Somethings wrong, you've just flipped the throttle cut, flip it back.​
What am I missing.

aiidanwings

Craftydan, I like to keep my hand on the throttle because if it is too low/high I can throttle up/down. Way back when I was learning "conserve energy' was pounded into my head.

No need to worry about tone, sir. It's only the internet:)

Edit- A plane can be flown and safely landed with throttle/rudder control only.

Last edited:

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
This seems strange to me.

In full scale I've always learned that you use all the power you've got until you've got altitude to spare, but then again, never got very far past ground school. Then again most people flying full scale go from point A to B and never crash -- where's the fun in that?!?!?

MrGravey

I launch left handed. I'm right handed but I find launching lefty is easy enough. The method of launch is such that you are not throwing the plane, you are getting the plane moving in the right direction with a little push.

I use a neck strap, hold the plane in my left hand and Tx in the right. I have to trust my neck strap for a few seconds while I set my throttle, then I gran the Tx, make sure I have my hand where I need it and give a little push and let the plane go. This normally requires about 2/3 the throttle on a given plane but things work well enough for me.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
It is really hard to give advice ..
A Vapor or Ember .. Flying without any nastyness
An Easy Star / Bixler - motor high up back giving a lot of down thrust until the speed is enough
Light foamies with motor in front - no problems.
Flying "Zagi Type" wings ....
WW II 1/12 scale combat - under arm toss att full power..
6 lb 40-trainer - needs a lot of speed ....
Some needs fast respons from the control others are just gliding away.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
I thought about it some more and really the only ones that I ever hand launch are my 3D planes which I'll toss indoors. It's more important to have my hand on the throttle and rudder in that case because too much throttle will put it in the low ceiling. My cub has such a good glide that it doesn't really need much input so I just run the throttle. Plus I too throw like a girl with my left hand. Besides, it's never a throw, just a gentle motion that let's the plane pull out of your hands. If you are throwing it then you're doing it wrong. That is of course assuming you have a fairly slow flying model. If you are tossing a jet or glider you better huck it.

MrGravey

I have seen people hand launch EDF jets and such and I just can't understand how that works. They are always having to get a running start and/or actually throw the model to get it working right. Just looks like trouble to me and more work than I want to put in. I find that planes that require more speed to stay in the air are harder to hand launch in general. Most planes I can hand launch about half throttle or less, I tend to go higher but I don't have to, the delta I have with a faster set up requires full throttle and some luck to get it in the air from a hand launch.

The only planes I always hand launch are combat planes. I don't have landing gear on them anyway so they have to be hand launched. To that point I just put a Bloody Wonder in the air for the first time yesterday and that thing is a ton of fun. One of the best swappables for sure.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
Personally I prefer planes with landing gear anyway. For me half of the fun is taking off and landing.

quorneng

Master member
Of course with a mode 2 self launch it helps if you are left handed but fly right handed using your thumb.
Hold TX in right hand, plane in left. Open throttle with nose (or mouth!) and launch.
Aileron and elevator available from launch.

MrGravey

Of course with a mode 2 self launch it helps if you are left handed but fly right handed using your thumb.
Hold TX in right hand, plane in left. Open throttle with nose (or mouth!) and launch.
Aileron and elevator available from launch.

This how I do things. Well, I don't use my face for the throttle that has more to do with my hands being more suited for the task.

fwa2500

Ramp Rat
if im not taking off from the ground i always toss left handed, it just makes more sense to me. micros get a gentile underhand nudge into the air while the jets and motorgliders are overhand. ill try to make a video showing how i launch my planes next time its not either rainy or too windy :)

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
I see your point but it seems safer to me to have throttle control when you have your hand on the plane. I guess that's why I always toss right handed. Never had one go south doing it that way either. To each his own I guess. The most important thing is to be comfortable with it.