Senior Telemaster Electric Conversion

emcb97

Hello All,

I have an old Senior Telemaster that my Dad, Brother, and I build over twenty years ago. I learned to fly powered R/C aircraft using this plane. It has been in storage for about 10 years I was thinking about a summer project of bringing it out of retirement and converting it to electric power. I am looking for suggestions for a good motor/ESC/battery/prop combination that will provide enough power to fly it.

Thanks!

Turbojoe

Elite member
Funny because last night I pulled my mostly built Telemaster 40 from the back corner that it has been occupying for 5-6 years or so. I built it with only electric in mind. I had initially planned to use a Scorpion 4020-12 I have on it but just started checking on the motor and 1500 watts on a 6 pound plane may be pushing the limits of sanity. The Telemaster I built back in the 80's flew great on a very worn out O.S. 40 so I don't think I'll even go for the 100 watts per pound that I normally outfit a plane for. I'll dig through the Scorpion drawer and look for something more in the 80-90 watt per pound range. It is a trainer plane after all.

I'm guessing your Senior is going to end up in the 9-10lb A.U.W. range? That makes it easy. Just shoot for 800-1000 watts. The brand and specs depends on how much you want to spend. I'm partial to Scorpion motors but they are expensive and I bought all the ones I have back when I had a good paying job. If I had to buy again I wouldn't be able to afford that quality and I'd be looking at HeadsUp R/C or the dreaded Hobby King.

Watching Jokers amazing L-19 build is making me want something a little bigger than all the park flyers I have now and I already have the Telemaster so I think I'll make a little more headway on it. I'll also follow the outfitting of your Senior. It'll make a great thread for this forum. Be sure to post your progress.

Joe

Turbojoe

Elite member
I just stumbled on this page at RCDude.com. LINK It shows conversion setups on the Telemaster 40, the Funster and the Senior. Lucien from Innov8tive designs I believe is the U.S. importer for the Cobra motors like he is for Scorpion. I don't think he'd import any crap.

Joe

Turbojoe

Elite member
REALLY looking forward to your updates for the Senior conversion. After doing a little research I found the last time I touched my TM40 was 2008. That's getting real close to the 10 years I took to finish up my all balsa scratch built electric converted Goldberg Eaglet 50. At 60 I have the attention span of a two year old. I get into something for a little while then swerve waaayyyy off course to another half built project. Eventually I get them done but don't hold your breath waiting for any of them. ;)

In looking everything over I'm really happy with the changes I made (and forgot about). Now I have to spend some time trying to decipher what the heck I was thinking at the time so I can complete the changes properly. I've got about a dozen other half finished projects that I hope I don't stop on the TM40 and move on to. Bigger really is better. I hope to keep this a priority for a while.

Always wanted a TM Senior. I'll be keeping my eyes open for a good deal. Get busy on yours!

Joe

My Sr. telemaster flies quite happily at 1/4-1/3 throttle with a Magnum .91. That said, for name brand stuff, something like a power 50 or power 60 from eFlite would probably haul the telemaster around with 5 cell power. It would really honk on 6 cell. I have a Sr T short kit I have considered building and powering electric. But I have too many old .90 range four strokes to not put one of those on the nose! Plus, I find few things more satisfying, in the world of RC, then listening to a big glow four stroke putter by! :D

Last edited:

Turbojoe

Elite member
What's your A.U.W. on the Senior? I'd love to build one but the entire Telemaster range is so bloody expensive now. Haven't seen any good deals on kits. Considered a Kadet Senior but every comparison I've read says the Telemaster senior is the better bird.

Joe

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
100% in agreement with the outrageous cost on the Telemaster line. They fly great, but for the price they better fly great! The quality of the laser cutting, the plans, etc are all top-of-the-line, so at least they're selling you high quality workmanship.

Speaking of the Kadet series... I came to the conclusion this morning that I don't need both a Senior and a Seniorita kit in my hangar, so this weekend I'm going to get some pictures of the Seniorita parts, plans, etc and put it up for sale. It'll probably be listed on the FT balsa forum first, since it would be a good second or third balsa kit.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
It's a nice size range to have for big parks or smaller flying fields, and I'm really looking forward to starting on that Senior some day. The bigger Telemasters are also calling my name, but I'm trying hard to ignore 'em! :)

Mine is around 9 lbs. it has a twin rudder mod to clear the tails of piggyback gliders. I am told the eight foot telemaster will fly on a .40 size two stroke, and I believe it! Even pulling an 8' long banner, it still only needed half throttle. It's not a sleek airframe by any means, but it's sure a nice relaxing flyer!

As far as buying one, I'd download the original RCM plans and get a short kit. I have a short kit and two sets of plans right now. With a plane as good as the T-master, it pays to have a spare!

I lucked into the one I am flying. I bought it from some fellows whose dad had passed away. He had built it to carry gliders. I got the airframe for $20.

emcb97

We started with a Super Tiger .46 and it ran great, even carried up gliders. It has a 1.xx now that my dad installed before he passed. It's in storage in TX and I'm in NC, so I'll have to wait until summer to dig in, but I've been thinking about doing this for years.

Plenty of time to dig up all the necessary info for the conversion.

Even a power .46 on 4S would probably do it. It just depends on how hard you want it to climb! :D

emcb97

Just got her out of storage. Looks like I need to do more work than I previously believed. Looks like fun! telemaster - before.png

Last edited: