Senior telemaster Re-Build

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
I haven't used the HK covering yet, but I've seen several foam builds @wilmracer used it on and they turned out great!

Funny enough I've never used it over balsa :p
But yeah, It works really well, and at a lower temp than Monokote. I've been very happy with the results.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I've used it a few times and like it. I think it used to be far cheaper per square foot than it is now, but it's still a decent product.

TooJung2Die

Master member
The HK covering generally gets good reviews. I have only used two colors; opaque white and transparent burnt orange. The opaque went on flawlessly. The transparent was a pain. The seams kept slipping when shrinking. I had to re-do some sections multiple times.

OliverW

Legendary member
The HK covering generally gets good reviews. I have only used two colors; opaque white and transparent burnt orange. The opaque went on flawlessly. The transparent was a pain. The seams kept slipping when shrinking. I had to re-do some sections multiple times.
I am not a big fan of transparent covering anyways.

Jackson T

Elite member
I had the same experience with my burnt orange film from Hobbyking.

OliverW

Legendary member
My covering arrived last week, so tomorrow I am going to start getting rid of all the old covering.

OliverW

Legendary member
Starting covering tearing off stuff goodness and I found this in the hatch!
20190805_143636.jpg
This saves me time and money.

Andrew

G'day Mate
I am going to order covering tonight. I am going to try hobbyking's covering.
My experiences with Hobbyking film has been excellent, not a single wrinkle ironing around corners and bends, excellent adhesion to balsa and foam, and best of all it comes in 5 meter lengths, unlike my local hobby shop 2 meters at 2-3x the price.

Andrew

G'day Mate
I also just noticed it has silicon glow fuel tubing, that will go soft and turn to jelly and split when you use gasoline fuel through it, you need "tygon" or something similar. Also the fuel tank rubber bung could swell if it's not gasoline safe.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Best practice is definitely replace the fuel tubing and bung every couple years, or when switching fuel types - nobody wants leaks or a clunk that won't move freely messing up a newly refurbished plane!

OliverW

Legendary member
Best practice is definitely replace the fuel tubing and bung every couple years, or when switching fuel types - nobody wants leaks or a clunk that won't move freely messing up a newly refurbished plane!
Yep. I have some spare tubing from some crashes.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor

I've used the Tygon fuel line for years and it works well, HOWEVER, it does get stiff fairly quickly and will keep the clunk from moving freely. I've seen many people recommend the clunk line gets Viton tubing instead of Tygon as it doesn't stiffen with age. I got a couple feet of it from http://www.bennettbuilt.com/shop/Tank_Accessories--Viton_Gas_Line_Tubing_Soft.html and so far so good! It's not cheap, but each plane only needs a short amount. Since it's not transparent (and because it's more expensive) people don't normally use it for all fuel lines in the plane.

CMS_1961

CMS_1961
SquirrelTail
Nice job on the rebuild so far--it's a really great plane--had the wood one years ago and it got damaged and I gave it to a friend when I moved. I was too lazy to build another one from balsa wood/ply so I built this SORTA-TELEMASTER from DTFB--It flies just like the wood one but not as long (darn LIPO batteries!!--LOL) See attached--8 foot wingspan--!

Super Telemaster_1.jpg