Seriously annoying ESC problems

Dougieee

Help is needed!
I have nearly finished my not so fancy kk2 quad and on its maiden, one of the motors stopped turning. I needed to push it a little to get it going, otherwise it would just wiggle, and I also need to move my throttle nearly halfway up to start the motors. Im using the reccomended motors for the quad size, and also Hobbyking Blue series ESCs (which i suspect are the problem) Thanks in advance. (I also know it isn't the connections or the battery voltage being too low)

Dougieee

I also am cheap and want to spend as little as possible, considering I've spend around $130 on the quad and I'm only 14, so my budget isn't backed up by a job.

razor02097

Rogue Drone Pilot
Hi Dougieee

Quick question... what firmware do you have on your KK2 board? Is it the one that came with the board or did you put a custom firmware on it?

IIRC the way to calibrate your ESCs with the KK2 board is...

1. remove your props
  2. make sure your props are removed
  3. turn your radio on run throttle to full
  4. make sure your props are removed
  5. hold button 1 and button 4 on the top of the KK2 board while plugging in the battery keep holding them during the next 2 steps.
  6. You should hear your ESCs beep indicating the full throttle position has been recorded
  7. Keep the buttons pushed and move the throttle all the way down and wait several seconds.
  8. Release the buttons and now your ESCs should be calibrated.

Once you are done calibrating you can arm the board and blip the throttle to verify all four motors power on.

A note... Please don't skip the remove the props step... there is a reason I put the step in there many times. All it takes is an ESC to glitch while you do this process... Stitches are expensive!

Dougieee

I haven't updated the board. I only noticed this when i went through david's setup video (it didnt have the gyro bubble and a couple other settings) How do i update it? is it fine running this version?

razor02097

Rogue Drone Pilot
I haven't updated the board. I only noticed this when i went through david's setup video (it didnt have the gyro bubble and a couple other settings) How do i update it? is it fine running this version?

Well to put it this way... it will fly with hobby king firmware. But don't bother fine tuning it because you will chase your tail forever trying to as the stock firmware isn't great...

In order to flash your KK board with new firmware you will need two things that aren't that expensive... First you will need a USB asp AVR programming interface. It costs a whopping $4 from hobby king.

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=27990

Next you will need the software and drivers to run it. Both cost $0

You can get the driver from the hobbyking website follow the same link above and choose "Files" to find the driver. I don't know if you will need a driver if you are running a mac so you might have to do some googling.

Get the KKMulticopter Flash tool here...
http://lazyzero.de/en/modellbau/kkmulticopterflashtool

The only sucky part is you can only get the thing from the China warehouse so shipping is as much as the tool :rolleyes: But think of it this way... maybe you can sneak some more goodies in the order to make it worth while ;)

markyoe

Razor02097 is right. You should really flash a new firmware on your KK. I have built to quads with KK boards and I still love this flight controller. I would suggest flashing the newest version of firmware by Kaptain Kook.

That's my two cents. :) Good luck!