Servo problems on FT Versa Wing.

eagle4

I am having some problems with the servo's in my FT Versa Wing. When they are connected to the elevons they buzz when I give them power. Also when they are connected to the elevons if I move them manually without power to them, they pop back to where they were, where as normally they stay where you put them.

I've made a quick video showing my problem. I've got no idea what could be the problem.

Any thoughts would be very much appreciated.

Last edited:

themajik1

Monkey/Bear Poker
Mentor
Eagle4,

It appears that the hinges are pulling the elevons up. On the pushrod that is not connected it is pointing up. If it is the same on the left side there is enough pressure on the servo that it is trying to continually push the elevon down and that is why it is making noise. The hinges appear to be taped too close/too tight to the wing surface and is causing undo pressure on the servo.

Can you redo the hinges and make sure there is no up or down pressure on the elevons?

I hope this makes sense and it helps!

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Did you use hot-glue as reinforcement on the hingelines? I had used too much on the first hinge I did and had a very stiff hinge that would give you this issue. I see you are using duct tape also on the hingeline so if nothing else, sand the bevel on the hinge evenly until it's free moving. The less stress on the servos from stiff control surfaces, the smoother and faster they will work, not to mention lasting longer.

eagle4

just went at my hinge with a knife, and the hinge is now some packing tape, rather than duct tape, its much freer now. thanks guys.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
The glue hinge works great, but you have to be sure to remove most of the glue so you are only left with a thin film. Do just a small section at a time if the glue is cooling too quickly and wipe as much as possible away. Or you can use a tape hinge as well.