Help! servo questions and canard plane tips?

Terro

So, I have some scraps from a small toy plane. it runs only on 2 motors, and still functions. i ripped out the electronics, and i want to build a canard-style. I also have 2 quadcopters with 6 functioning motors. could i convert these to servos and make a normal plane that runs on the drone controls? the quads use a console controller-style remote. The blue plane remote is unsalvageable, but the red one works on both planes, or at least the remains of the blue plane. i also have plenty of spare propellers, so having them in one direction shouldn't be a problem. i think, that strafe controls might work for yaw, and maybe increasing or decreasing throttle could be pitch. however, it only has four propellers and four power plugs, one for each motor. also, it is self-stabilizing. i might have to remove the gyroscope and sensors, however i don't know if the drone will run with only one board, and without the sesnsors, as it has 2 boards.

2019-07-31-120552.jpg
2019-07-31-120450nyrtfhfr.jpg

Edit; the one on the top is now fixed. REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE *five decades later* eeeeeee...
Reee.
Edit 2; THE MOTOR BURNED OUT AGAIN!!! these are apparently brushless and NOT reliable especially in our oven simulator down here in florida.

Last edited:

FDS

Elite member
You won’t be able to run servos from the drone controllers, they don’t give the right voltage or signal output. They are also not powerful enough to maintain a safe and secure radio link to your plane, which is essential to prevent potentially dangerous loss of signal.
I would look at buying an entry level transmitter like the Flysky Fs-i6 with a matching receiver and a few cheap servos. The FT power packs are great if you are starting out because they have all the components ready matched to get you in the air.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I agree with @FDS the small drone controllers vary the voltage to control the speed of the motor. Servos use PWM, pulse width modulation.

Reactions: FDS

Terro

You won’t be able to run servos from the drone controllers, they don’t give the right voltage or signal output. They are also not powerful enough to maintain a safe and secure radio link to your plane, which is essential to prevent potentially dangerous loss of signal.
I would look at buying an entry level transmitter like the Flysky Fs-i6 with a matching receiver and a few cheap servos. The FT power packs are great if you are starting out because they have all the components ready matched to get you in the air.
i'm saying i want to turn the drone into a plane, maybe by turning the motors so increaing throttle pulls the nose up and decreasing lets it down? and turn the rear props -90 degees so it pushes the plane forward? i don't know if i have enough foamboard for 2 planes :( i mean, i forgot the glue sticks so i could get more foam while getting those, but i dunno if it's really worth it. it has to be the same remote and receiver with the same motors for it to work.
also, i don't want to buy servos, but maybe i could turn the crappy brushed motors (see the edit above) into servos? also, the drones don't have amazing range, but it can reach from one side of the cul-de-sac to the main street, and ours has a really long piece of road before the circle.

Last edited:

FDS

Elite member
You can control a plane like that, some cheap planes do so, by having the motors one wing spin faster in response to a yaw input. Then you need something to control the pitch, which is better done with a servo. The new Blade Inductrix Switch uses a wing on a miniquad, have a look at that, some dollar tree light weight foamboard or a large pizza foam or two might be enough to make something that flies.
You can make hovercraft out of dead drones, those are easy and fun to make. They fly, just a very small height off the ground! Look on YouTube , lots of how to guides there for the hovercraft.
You can’t make those motors onto servos. See comment about control above.
If you have glue and foamboard make a chuck glider, look at Nerdnic RC’s Chuckstang or even a Tiny Trainer or Simple Soarer. There’s a few single sheet designs on here too, most powered designs can be made as gliders.

Terro

You can control a plane like that, some cheap planes do so, by having the motors one wing spin faster in response to a yaw input. Then you need something to control the pitch, which is better done with a servo. The new Blade Inductrix Switch uses a wing on a miniquad, have a look at that, some dollar tree light weight foamboard or a large pizza foam or two might be enough to make something that flies.
You can make hovercraft out of dead drones, those are easy and fun to make. They fly, just a very small height off the ground! Look on YouTube , lots of how to guides there for the hovercraft.
You can’t make those motors onto servos. See comment about control above.
If you have glue and foamboard make a chuck glider, look at Nerdnic RC’s Chuckstang or even a Tiny Trainer or Simple Soarer. There’s a few single sheet designs on here too, most powered designs can be made as gliders.
problem is, the dead drone's motor keeps burning out. i think the prop is too big for the motor to spin in our Florida weather. i mean, i still have 5 *motors*, so maybe i could make that hovercraft, but how does it float above the ground but not in the air, just as an aircraft?

FDS

Elite member
Look at the videos, it’s all on there. Personally I would chuck all that in the trash and start building some foamboard planes then save up for the electrics and a basic transmitter like the Flysky FS i6.
Chuck gliders and simple 2ch planes are great fun and cheap. You can even use a big elastic drag line to launch your chuck gliders for longer flights.
Hell the Wiltoys Cessna 182 is $40 for a 3 channel ready to fly!

Terro

Look at the videos, it’s all on there. Personally I would chuck all that in the trash and start building some foamboard planes then save up for the electrics and a basic transmitter like the Flysky FS i6.
Chuck gliders and simple 2ch planes are great fun and cheap. You can even use a big elastic drag line to launch your chuck gliders for longer flights.
Hell the Wiltoys Cessna 182 is $40 for a 3 channel ready to fly!
WLToys? i bought a 1/16 buggy from them, it lasted for a while, but the parts wore out FAST and the metal upgrades are were too expensive. i ripped it apart a couple years ago. Is it the same company, and will the Cessna last for a long time? (w/o crashing of course) also, i tried a glider i found on an FT article, it didn't go well. do you have a recommendation for an easy build without too many curves?

FDS

Elite member
It’s a cheap foam plane, when you learn they die, doesn’t matter how much it cost, your first plane has a short life span! You will get about 6 mins flying time on 1s stick batteries, they are cheap, I got about 15 from Hobbyking for my Sport Cub S.
If you want to build all the non master series FT planes are pretty simple, lots of recommended starter builds on the forum. I like the Tiny Trainer because it’s versatile and only needs a few sheets of board.

Terro

It’s a cheap foam plane, when you learn they die, doesn’t matter how much it cost, your first plane has a short life span! You will get about 6 mins flying time on 1s stick batteries, they are cheap, I got about 15 from Hobbyking for my Sport Cub S.
If you want to build all the non master series FT planes are pretty simple, lots of recommended starter builds on the forum. I like the Tiny Trainer because it’s versatile and only needs a few sheets of board.
i meant, how much time will it live before breaking or wearing out. also, is the Cessna a kit, or pre-built?