Servo reversing?

McScott29

I need help figuring how to reverse a servo. Do I get one that's reversed, or is there something to reversing it?

pressalltheknobs

Posted a thousand or more times
There is no standard for servo direction. You either have to mount the one you have so that it works in the direction you want or use your TX to reverse the direction. Simple TXs often have a switch for each channel to reverse the channel. Programmable TXs allow you to program the direction of the channel usually in "Servo" or "Channel" menu. Exactly where will depend on the TX you have.

There are circuits that you can install in the servo cable to reverse the servo if your TX does not allow you to reverse a channel

What TX do you have?

Last edited:

Epitaph

Ebil Filleh Pega-Bat ^.^
Mentor
If you want to reverse the actual servo, say for example to use for flaps without having both the servos on the wings facing the same way (have them in mirror configuration like the ailerons), then the servo you want to reverse you can open it up and swap the outer 2 wires on the pot.

Jugsy

Epitaph correct me if I'm wrong, but couldn't you get the same result by taking off the arm and reinstalling it turned around 180?
EDIT: Actually I get what you mean, my solution would result in the flaps moving in different directions unless they were plugged into different channels.

As far as the original question, it's handled by your Transmitter, there's no set direction to a servo. All modern transmitters I've seen should be able to do this. Let us know what you've got and someone here will know all about it ;)

Last edited:

Andrew

G'day Mate
If you want to reverse the actual servo, say for example to use for flaps without having both the servos on the wings facing the same way (have them in mirror configuration like the ailerons), then the servo you want to reverse you can open it up and swap the outer 2 wires on the pot.

I've reversed servos this way a few times, when you swap the two outside wires on the pot you must also swap the motor wires around, if you don't the motor will try and fight it self.

There are 3 way you can reverse the direction,

Use the transmitter servo reverse switch/menu setting.
OR
Use a in line "Servo Signal Reverser" like this.(like pressalltheknobs has mentioned)
OR
Take it apart and Hack it like Epitaph and I have mentioned.

Epitaph

Ebil Filleh Pega-Bat ^.^
Mentor
Sorry, forgot to mention that part hehehe. I don't know why I keep forgetting to mention it, but I don't forget it when I do it.

kacknor

Build another!
I've reversed servos this way a few times, when you swap the two outside wires on the pot you must also swap the motor wires around, if you don't the motor will try and fight it self.

There are 3 way you can reverse the direction,

Use the transmitter servo reverse switch/menu setting.
OR
Use a in line "Servo Signal Reverser" like this.(like pressalltheknobs has mentioned)
OR
Take it apart and Hack it like Epitaph and I have mentioned.

A little self serving, but it fits...

http://flitetest.com/articles/servo-reversing-with-a-soldering-iron

JD

Epitaph

Ebil Filleh Pega-Bat ^.^
Mentor
If it's for ailerons you shouldn't need to reverse a servo, as the fact they are installed in mirror image of each other "reverses" it. For flaps in mirror installation you would have to reverse one (and that's what i reverse for because I like symmetry on my servo installations), but not for ailerons.