Help! Servo to receiver hook ups

GorgoPetron

I'm building the Simple Cub..I have the AR410 receiver, which has no markings to denote the ports : Ailerons, rudder, elevator, flaps.
The AR410 has only "Batt, 1/Data,2,3,4...In the build video Josh has a different receiver, and he has his hand in the way when he hooks the servos up.....Also he says on this three channel model ...the rudder should behooked to the aileron port....Does antone know the correct ports to use for rudder and elevator on the Spektrum AR410 receiver? (I thought that the "Batt" port would be for the ESC)

Kendalf

Spektrum uses TAER for the channel order, meaning:
Channel 1 - Throttle (connect the ESC to this)
Channel 2 - Aileron
Channel 3 - Elevator
Channel 4 - Rudder

For three channel planes, the usual setup is to connect the rudder servo to channel 2 so that the stick for aileron will turn the plane.

Headbang

Master member
Quick ad for clarification. Reciever can be powered from any available port, but throttle needs to be channel 1. So an esc with a built in bec plugs into channel 1 where it provides throttle control and powers the rx.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I agree with @Kendalf & @Headbang. I would like to add the plug only works one way, you may need to spin it 180 degrees. Different brands use different colors, the signal wire is always the lightest color (like white or yellow), the ground is always the darkest color (like brown or black).

Reactions: FDS

pressalltheknobs

Posted a thousand or more times
Thank You all for the helpful advice...especially the wire color coding...I nearly made a fatal error....
All modern PWM cables have the power in the center so it is very hard to make a "fatal" error. It just won't work if you plug it in the wrong way around. Even offsetting by one pin or cross connecting ports doesn't connect the power and ground backwards. Only if you connect individual pins separately are you at risk.

The main thing is to ground test all channels before flying to make sure the channels are connected and operate as expected.

A typical "3 channel" plane uses the Rudder instead of Ailerons to steer so it is normal to connect the Rudder to the Aileron channel and use the Aileron (Roll) stick to steer. This works because the plane designs usually have a lot of di-hedral built into the wing that automatically rolls the plane when rudder in applied. The Rudder (Yaw) stick and its corresponding channel is not used.

A typical "4 Channel" plane has Ailerons and a Rudder and the Aileron (Roll) stick is the main control to steer the plane. For basic flying the Rudder is only used for special puposes like taxing and adjustments when lining up for take offs and landings. It is used more for acrobatic maneuvers. Many people hardly use the rudder at all.

Connecting the Rudder to the Aileron channel in the "3 Channel" case keep the controls consistent making it easier to transition between the two setups.

Note: that multi-rotors use the rudder stick a lot more than planes since they can spin in place.

rszanti

Adding to an old post - What appears to be the identification of the data port is an asterisk located between ports 1 & 2. Too bad Spektrum doesn't provide the most basic info in their instructions but which which port is the data port ?