FleshyScones

Hi, when I was building I used the servo centering tool and it worked like it's supposed to, but now that I have them glued in and ready for the final hook up one goes up and the other down and lock in those positions. Are my servos burnt out? The one for the rudder and elevator work fine, it's just my ailerons.

CappyAmeric

Elite member
Did you bind the receiver to your transmitter with the aileron servos not connected to the receiver? If so, just bind your receiver again, then make sure that your ailerons are not reversed in your transmitter.

FleshyScones

I did what you suggested, but they still just locked in full throw. I unplugged them and tried them again with the centering tool and they didn't center, again just full throw and lock.

Bricks

Master member
Did you bind the receiver to your transmitter with the aileron servos not connected to the receiver? If so, just bind your receiver again, then make sure that your ailerons are not reversed in your transmitter.

This should make no difference of what is hooked to the receiver during a bind process most of the time I bind my receivers before they are installed in a plane with nothing hooked to them.

CappyAmeric

Elite member
This should make no difference of what is hooked to the receiver during a bind process most of the time I bind my receivers before they are installed in a plane with nothing hooked to them.
I do it too, but I am also aware that some transmitters do failsafe setting at time of binding.

BlockerAviation

Legendary member
I would take off the servo arms and see if the servos work alright. I've centered servos, put the arm on, then installed them in the airplane to only have them lock in one direction against a part of the plane. What happens is after you center and put the arm on the servo, you may move the arm and mix up your servos(this applys especially to alerons). Then you end up installing the servo you set up for the left side on the right or something like that. When you do this, the servo wants to center but is stopped by a structure of the plane and binds(if you could provide pics I could confirm wether or not if this is the case). I hope I've been clear but I not the best at explaining things. I also don't know if this is the cause in your case but I do know this has happened to me a few times.

Bricks

Master member
I do it too, but I am also aware that some transmitters do failsafe setting at time of binding.

What does failsafe have to do with anything connected to the receiver during the bind process? The only way it will make a difference is what is chosen in the transmitter for flight control surfaces

BlockerAviation

Legendary member
What does failsafe have to do with anything connected to the receiver during the bind process? The only way it will make a difference is what is chosen in the transmitter for flight control surfaces
I agree, there's a high chance fail safe has nothing to do with this, it has something to do with either the physical setup of the servos, the channel there assigned to or the servo setup in the transmitter.

CappyAmeric

Elite member
From the Spektrum ix12 transmitter manual:

"Failsafe is configured when the transmitter and receiver go through the binding process. When binding an aircraft, always follow these steps to ensure the failsafe operates as expected in the unlikely event of a loss of radio link:
1. Move the throttle to the low or off position.
2. Set all other controls to the desired failsafe position.
3. Follow the receiver instructions to power the receiver on in bind mode.
4. From the iX12 transmitter Bind menu, touch and hold BIND until the transmitter reports it is binding.
5. When the transmitter indicates binding was successful, power off the receiver, according to the receiver instructions.

After the transmitter and receiver are bound, if the radio signal link is ever lost between the transmitter and receiver, the receiver immediately moves the aircraft control surfaces to the failsafe positions or holds position depending on the type of failsafe set during bind."

BlockerAviation

Legendary member

"Failsafe is configured when the transmitter and receiver go through the binding process. When binding an aircraft, always follow these steps to ensure the failsafe operates as expected in the unlikely event of a loss of radio link:
4. From the iX12 transmitter Bind menu, touch and hold BIND until the transmitter reports it is binding.
5. When the transmitter indicates binding was successful, power off the receiver, according to the receiver instructions.

After the transmitter and receiver are bound, if the radio signal link is ever lost between the transmitter and receiver, the receiver immediately moves the aircraft control surfaces to the failsafe positions or holds position depending on the type of failsafe set during bind."
But if I'm not mistaken, he's having problems after he bound the rx.

Bricks

Master member

This is pretty much common on just about any receiver, it holds last position of control surfaces, throttle goes to off, or can be set to what ever you want failsafe to be.